Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

My eyes are as dry as your takes homie

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

The issue with Macc IMO is first and foremost that he was supposed to have evaluation skills -- the anti-Idzik -- supposedly involved with JJ Watt etc

This many years later I have seen no improvement. When he drafts you don't feel the reaction you get when Seahawks pick or Steelers or Chiefs or even the Pats. When those teams pick you say to yourself, "Shit, who did we miss". When Macc picks, you say "I hope he doesn't suck; I hope he can at least get on the field"

Because I'm a Jet fan I'll hope this year is year is different, and that maybe we can plug some remaining holes with training camp cuts or the like, but we can't build a team relying on the first round and UDFAs

Also teams like the Pats and other contenders can get FAs at a discount who want to contend. We need to pay a premium -- not a long term winning strategy even if you like our FA class.

Macc should be on the shortest of leashes. My biggest hesitation in firing him is that the rest of the Jets institution at least seems near incompetent in identifying and hiring a successor -- a person with some sort of vision as to what makes winning football.

Belicheck: tough smart players (Brady on a cheap deal helps too)
    Coughlin (discipline, defense, dedication)
    Reid et al. (speed and crimes)
    Macc (???)

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but with all due respect, you are mistaken. Mac said numerous times over the first two seasons that they were doing a "competitive rebuild." That's fact, not opinion. If you don't believe me go back and read quotes from Mac during that time and discussions on this site. A competitive rebuild is still a rebuild, it's just not a tear everything down at once and remake the team slowly over a period of 3-4 years. It's trying to win as much as one can while adding key pieces that will get it over the top and turn it into a playoff team.

There was also no such timeline as outlined above. Even if there was, Mac screwed it all up by not adding a "center" and #2 CB this year in FA or the draft. I don't blame Mac for the first two years. Woody made it clear when Mac was hired that he wanted the team back in the playoffs. I'm positive that he didn't sign off on starting a complete rebuild in year one of Mac's tenure. He thought/hoped that Mac could add some pieces, bring in some FAs and get the team back in the playoffs quickly.

I'm sorry that you can't see how it is a terrible situation. In today's NFL GMs aren't given the length of time that Mac has been given to produce a playoff team and consistent winner. Teams are turned around in 2-3 years. This is his 5th year and he's still making the same mistakes he did his rookie year as GM, not making the OL a priority, continuing to obsess about the DL and the D in general. For as much as the Johnsons supposedly want the team back in the playoffs, they sure were patient with Bowles and now with Mac, too patient imo. I don't think that too many other owners would have been as patient.

#503 NCJetsfan, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  4. legler82

Macc (BPA); we apparently have the best players available of every round of every draft in the past 5 years.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

For some of us "pretty good" doesn't cut it. "Pretty good" won't get us into the playoffs, much less the SB.

ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Mahomes > Darnold. Sam has a long way to go to be in Mahomes class. The kid just had one of the great individual QB seasons ever. The likelihood that Darnold ever wins a league MVP is a long shot. I want him to but a dose of reality please.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I didn’t say Darnold was a better NFL QB, that remains to be seen. Mahomes himself said he could’ve never done the things he did last year as a rookie.

Mahomes talent was undeniable but he had a ton of questions pre draft about how his talent would translate to the NFL. Getting drafted by Andy Reid and the Chiefs was the best possible outcome for him.

I think Darnold was best QB prospect since Luck.

Noam likes this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

See the bit you call nonsensical, you chopped a word out that is in the original post, the word is managed.

As in do you think they would have managed mahomes to perfection.

managed him like managers would do, you know nurture and improve, not a chance the incompetent fuckers would have ruined him, stifled his natural attacking instincts.

Also again feel free to highlight my quote that said I think petty had a chance at being something, I said they ruined him that is a hell of a difference and shows no context being applied again.

At the end of the day it is you that has to come to terms with the fact Mahomes isn't at the jets, I will get behind Sam and hope he can become our true FQB for a long time to come.

Ralebird likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

well gase needs to learn his place too. it's his job to get the most out of the players on the roster, not to control the roster. it's a new relationship there. gase and williams are agressive alpha personalities. mac seems more docile but also a type A so it woudn't suprise me if there is some rifts to start. not a big deal. mac is used to the more timid bowles so it's a big difference going from bowles to gase

10. legler82

I’ve come to terms with Mahomes not being a Jet. What I haven’t come to terms yet and will never until it no longer is a reality is Mac still being our GM.

#510 legler82, Apr 30, 2019
  11. NCJetsfan

I think that Jets fans have been beaten down so, that our bar has been lowered significantly, and many are willing to accept mediocrity because it's at least better than being last in the division.

#511 NCJetsfan, Apr 30, 2019
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well nobody can help you with that, not sure what you must wish for, defeats to get rid of the GM or players flopping from the draft for the same outcome.

Sometimes supporters just need to support.

You are entitled to your opinion as is anybody else that doesn't like him, I am more open minded still, he has done some good things and some horrible things, for me the good wins out atm, I will need to see improvent this season or I may stray into the other camp and want him gone. so as ever it is a work in progress.

13. legler82

After 5 years I think I’m allowed to express my disapproval

14. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The reason Mahomes put up stupid stats in his first year as a starter is because he played in a pro-version of an Air Raid offense like he did in college. It’s also why Kliff Kingsbury was made a head coach and why Kyler Murray was the first pick in the draft.

The concepts of the Air Raid have silently been used by the Patriots for years, it’s also why Tom Brady always has an open man and has been able to sustain his career into his 40’s. It’s also why the Pats leaked by accident they they don’t need a top Qb to win... the system they run can not be stopped...

In a conventional NFL pro-style offense, there’s little doubt that Sam Darnold is a much more advanced passer and would be a better Qb vs Murray or Mahomes for that matter...

However, that is not so in an Air Raid offense and more and more teams will be employing it.

Kingsbury, himself I bet is annoyed that he came to the NFL before these “college” concepts were being used... he was an excellent Air Raid Qb himself. But instead of being an all time great (like some of these guys will be seen as), he will forever be viewed as a guy who wasn’t good enough for the NFL.

Here’s a solid video. Once you watch, the mystic of Mahomes (and other air raid qb’s) will evaporate + you will also see the basic play that the Patriots have been using for years and torching NFL defenses with...

15. legler82

Mahomes is a system QB

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It’s interesting to me because people are trying so hard to justify the current situation that they fail to see just how bad it’s been. This is the worst the Jets have been since I’ve been a fan. They’ve had worse single seasons during my fandom but over a period of years this is the absolute worst by far.

I’m not sure Mac should be fired now. I do think he should get this season just for the sake of continuity, but this is it. Playoffs or bust. He’s had 4 drafts and now he’s blown through a massive war chest this offseason. What more does the guy need to build a contender?

If he seriously needs 6 years to build a super bowl contender then mistakes were clearly made. I’m not sure how anyone could see it any other way.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Let me break it down, because my words are being twisted.

2017 Jets, saw some improvements from the roster being gutted. Jets won 5 games that year, they showed promise.

2018 Jets, new QB, new system, however the Jets should have built on what they did the year before, I had them pegged around 7 wins; they won 4 instead and that entire year, the progress of the team was set back based off where the team was going. Here I was hoping for steady improvement.

2019 Jets, this was the year to contend for a playoff spot based off that steady improvement, but the CS IMO really did a bad job; I never guaranteed a playoff spot for the Jets (which is what you are implying) ... 2017, I thought Bowles was improving as a HC hence me mentioning that we should be contending for a playoff spot in 2019. I look at the roster and the CS and I see improvements across the board, the team given these changes should take the next step which is contending for a playoff spot. 9 wins does not guarantee a playoff spot, but we should be contending for one. Williams and Gase can perhaps get us back to where we need to be despite the team taking a step back in 2018.

I am sorry but if you watched last season and think Bowles and Bates didn't set this team back, then IDK what to tell you and IDK if you were really watching the crap that Bowles and Bates put out there.

18. SoylentGreen

100% + why people shouldn’t ever be too upset that the Jets didn’t pick him. The Jets would never have employed the offense needed for him to reach his full potential.

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

You can take every style offense and every scheme in the world and it makes no difference. You still have to perform in that role. What you're not mentioning is that very few if any other QB's in the league could operate at the level Mahomes did in that offense. You're making it sound like you could plug anyone in and they would do that. FALSE. If that was the case then we'd have seen it all around the league already. There was also something called the run n shoot before and that faded like every other fad does. Also Kingsbury is far from a sure thing as a pro coach so I would hold off on extolling his college virtues in some gimmicky offense. He wasn't even a .500 coach at TT with that high powered offense you speak of. Mahomes not only performed but he won a lot and that's the key metric to his excellence. He also made and completed throws with such a high degree of difficulty all season long that no other QB in the league is making with the exception of maybe Rodgers and Wilson. Do not compare Mahomes to some gimmicky college QB's. He's on a different level and is proven. Darnold still has to prove he can thrive in any system.

20. SoylentGreen

Mahomes is a gimmicky one read Qb, he just has the luxury of having the best talent around him and giant arm that helps. Baker was just as good in the Air Raid in college + will put up the same numbers if not better this coming season.

To think this style of Offense isn’t contributing to his success is plain silly. Kyler Murray wouldn’t have even been drafted 5 years ago. He’s also going to be a very good NFL Qb.

Time will prove this out... there’s a good chance Baker, Murray and Mahomes all put up much better stats vs Darnold. Hopefully Darnold wins more championships!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.