Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

If you;re looking for a Mawae, you could wait a lifetime

Red Menace likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You can also be very disappointed with Mac and his top heavy draft picks on defense, poor talent evaluation etc. and still hope for wins..

Something will eventually happen and Mac slips on a banana peel or loses favor with the Johnsons ...eventually Gase proves to owners how the personnel the GM gets could be alot better

With the exception of Todd's last two seasons Ive always been hoping for WINS

The time has come for at least 10 wins and a chance in the playoffs

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Vegas says seven.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Mac is just next in line for public enemy number 1 for Jets fans. First it’s the OC, then the HC and then the GM, it’s Macs turn after getting rid of the HC and OC.

Last two offseasons have been good, it does need to start translating to wins though.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's the regular season that counts. As you said, his work needs to start translating into wins.

Brook! likes this.
  6. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I haven’t agreed with a lot of what Macc has done and he would have already been gone years ago if I were in charge...however the Darnold trade turned out to be amazing and I’ve really liked this off season

Even with our center and CB2 situation I feel we can make some noise in the AFC playoff race and then really make our move in 2020 as we put the finishing touches on the team...that should be the plan anyway

FJF likes this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

5 years after he got the job...yea, I hope we’ll be contenders too.

8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

9. NYJetsO12

They are insane to think that low

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

They don't lose a lot. It's almost time for Brook to open the prediction thread here.

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  11. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

The thing about Maccagnan’s defenders which I think they overlook is that a franchise like the Jets which has been starved of success and run in a pretty questionable way for a decade needs an above average performance from its GM to lead the turnaround. Some argue Macc hasn’t done too badly and whilst I would agree he’s not been totally terrible, I find it impossible to build and argument that he has been above average during his time in New York.

If they fire him now after he’s just run a draft and spent millions of dollars in free agency I just don’t get the timing. My bet is he stays the season then gets shown the door at the end of the season.

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Year 1 10-6 and should have been play-offs cheers Fitz.

Year 2 same players flopped
    Year 3 stripped bare of vets and rebuild begins
    Year 4 welcome our rookie FQB
    Year 5 hello top class RB, centre and CB required and a couple more OL wouldn't go amiss.
    Year 6 hopefully only fine tuning required, OL needs met and ready to go.

So ready to attack by year 4 of the rebuild, I can't see how that is a terrible situation?

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

it's all in the QB fellas. Any schmuck can draft a QB and get real lucky. In today's world it takes only 1/2 a schmuck to draft a franchise "caliber" QB. Now thats only half the process. The rest of the process is the teams ability to teach, train, and prepare that guy for the position. It's the teams responsibility to surround and blanket their QB with the proper system, players, and team philosophy.

I think the current GM has done just enough over the past few years to convince enough folks that the jets do have a "plan". However the jury is still out because the most important part of whatever plan is unfolding right now as they attempt to build the team around darnold. This is the most important part. Just ask ken o'brien and david carr and how they feel about building an offense around the QB, specifically the OL.

The continued paucity of high ranking OL draft picks is a problem, no matter how you slice it. I realize that's not the only hole on this team BUT we really should be putting the finishing touches on the OL at this point and not have continuing questions at center and tackle.

14. NYJetsO12

Why would Gase bitch about $ for Bell? (And we know Mac always has overpaid) Only because not enough left over from Moseley/Bell for a legitimate offer to Paridis ..the HC wants a C to protect his FQB and that makes sense

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

This isn't true. We signed a stop gap QB in Fitzpatrick and drafted 2 QB's of the future before we drafted Sam. We were rebuilding the day Mac came here. You don't draft Hackenberg with a valuable 2 if after a 10 & 6 year you think you're a contender and Fitz is your franchise QB.

He came here as GM to a 4 and 12 team that was clearly in rebuild mode. Had he had a 2 or 3 year plan to get us to the playoffs he clearly didn't have a clue. Fitzpatrick had been on 5 teams before he got here. He was still in his prime years. Everyone in the league knew who Fitz was and Mack paid him stupid money. Mac blew the rebuild by trying to catch lightning in a bottle. He completely misunderstood the quality of our roster.

While we had a "good" draft, the draft doesn't happen in a vacuum. The draft like the game itself is a competition. Mac has been losing the competition. I contend he lost it again this year on a comparative basis. Of course that's to be determined.
    He did pretty well in FA. It's pretty hard not to do well in FA when you have the most money. You have the most money because you don't have great veteran talent on the team.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Biggs said it better the I can. All I’ll say is who hires a GM that pitches a 6 year plan?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Did you read the earlier discussion? In one very real sense, this is the best time to fire him. Scout contracts are up. One hires a new GM and then he is able to immediately sign new scouts and they have a whole year to prepare and plan for 2020 FA and the draft. If you wait until next January to fire Mac. His replacement will only have a couple of months to get settled/organized, get to know the scouts, evaluate the team, and prepare for FA and the draft, and he'd have to do that using Mac's scouting dept. That puts any new GM at a disadvantage. With so little time to prepare it all but guarantees that the new GM won't have a great first draft.

I understand why you don't get the timing. Firing him now would probably mean they had already planned to do so and let him run one last FA period and the draft, but why would they do that if they were firing him because he made poor decisions in FA and does a pretty lousy job with the draft?

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

To be fair, there may have been pressure from ownership to win right away. When it was clear that it wasn't working, Macc convinced Woody to do a full rebuild. But, yes, the team should be primed to compete for a playoff spot this year. Incremental improvement isn't enough. Rebuilds shouldn't take more than 3 years in today's NFL.

19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think the problem with this timeline is that it was obvious at the time that Year 1 was a mirage - if Macc thought Fitzpatrick was a long-term answer at QB he deserved to be fired right then and there. Maybe you could think that Bowles was a great coach after that year, but not the players, and therefore going with the same players in Year 2 was guaranteed to fail. That immediately puts them at least one year behind where they needed to be. As to the rest, it remains to be seen how things will pan out, but there is still no evidence that he has any view that the OL is a place to prioritize (he was on WFAN this morning and they asked him about the lack of a center, and he had absolutely no answer - just "We're happy with where we are, and there are always people available," which is not a plan). I think that the Jets have a very wide variability this year, with anything from 5 to 10 wins eminently possible.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think it was pretty obvious that Mac didn’t want to bring Fitzpatrick back and the decision to came from the top as did a few other decisions those first two years.

I’ve thrown those two years out the window in my evaluation of Macagnan. I put him on the clock since talking the Johnson’s into the full rebuild which was sorely needed for many years. Obviously his moves since then have not been perfect but but I do think he’s done a pretty good job but that has to translate to wins starting this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.