Status of The Team and Jets Fans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 27, 2019.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thank you Biggs! >>>>>>keeping it light

God Bless this mess hahahah

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but those twitter posters aren't on here, so what's the point of bringing them up? If they upset you that much, why read twitter? I don't, and have no desires to. I've posted on other Jets sites before, and on more loosely organized places like newsgroups where the level of discussion was much lower and it was a free for all. I've no desires to ever post on those kinds of places again. I come here because the intelligence level is higher and the level of discussion and information is better.

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

This hits me where I live.... that's exactly what I've been preaching.

I'm kind of excited about the guys we got though so while (in my mind) risky, hopefully we'll get away with it and can find some OL stars in the next offseason. If Q just flails around getting contained and not really causing any havoc to opposing offenses and/or Darnold gets injured due to poor blocking though I'm going to really regret the Jets not getting Jonah Williams.

Also concerning is that it looks like the heat is going to get turned up on the Jets OL in many of these divisional games. With scant reinforcement I'm not sure they are going to be able to withstand it.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yep, it is always NEXT season that McIdiot might finally address the OL. But he never does.

6. PennyandtheJets

Well, he did actually. Probowl LG and drafted a Tackle in the 3rd round.

Here ya go @NCJetsfan someone who is complaining because every single hole wasn't filled.

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Couple things that bugged me.......first, not gaining another pick or 2 in a trade down scenario. i can live with this cause we got a real good player BUT this is where the real experienced GM's earn their keep. second, it appears we drafted a higher risk project in round 3 AT A POSITION OF NEED. This second thing really bugs the shit out of me. Me thinks its much too risky to F around with this shit. If the pick was in a position of strength (TE, LB, safety) i could deal with it but come on.

Other than this, i'm neutral with the draft. We'll see as always.

Getting too cute will usually cost you big time in the draft. the jets draft history is littered with this type of stuff.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I agree with your take on risk management. We should take high floor guys at spots of need and high risk guys where it would be a "nice to have" situation. What also bugged me is we traded down twice, but on the second trade down with the Titans we upgraded our 5th rounder without getting more picks. I would have liked to get another pick out of trading down as I think they were a little paranoid over possibly not getting Cashman it seemed.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

No one is freaking out just waiting patiently until MAC inevitably gets fired

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think our OL pick was far riskier than Polite.

Top flight pass rushers are getting upwards of $20 mil a year so their team does not have to risk losing them in free agency.

The best prospects generally go in the top 10 when less than half of the pass rushers taken that high seem to work out well for the teams that take them.

Taking a chance in round three on a player like Polite with the tape he has of his excellent play on the field does not seem to be an unreasonable risk to me.

I know we have all been disappointed in the past but how can you not like this pick?

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

In response to this tread, I think while happy and optimistic we are in a bit of a wait and see situation. I have a hunch we got ourselves three starters or significant play time players. Williams, Polite and the TE. All three in my opinion can be instant contributors to improve our pass rush and our blocking/running passing game. The OL, LB and CB are more of a question mark and wait to see how they develop, with perhaps a special team contribution from the LB. If the CB gets back to health and remains healthy, we might have a gem at nickel or CB. So I'm optimistic that we improved the team from a near and longer term perspective. If one of the day two/three selections makes the roster and contributes this year Ill be happy. Long shot is one or two undrafted free agents, keeping my fingers crossed for the C.
    By no means do I think we are done tinkering with this team. I expect a couple of additional free agency acquisitions during training camp and even a trade or two. Targets will clearly be OL/C, CB and big body WR. Overall my gut tell me we will be much better this year, starting first and foremost with coaching, play calling execution, running the ball and stopping the run. The OL once again could rear its ugly head and weakening our passing game and total offensive execution.

Attackett likes this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

which one of them will play center this year?

13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Hey, he's getting there. This is the first year he drafted OL in the 3rd round or higher. Baby steps!

Jets81, ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

The State Of The Team is that the fans want to see some sort of improvement or they will want somebody's head. We haven't made the playoffs in 8 seasons (3rd longest in the NFL.)

Clock is ticking Macc... Tough division but we'd better make the playoffs.

15. PennyandtheJets

I hear ya and I agree. I was disappointed too that they didn't prioritize this hole over others, but the fact of the matter is that every team in the NFL has holes. There isn't a single team out there saying to themselves," Yep, our roster is perfect. No holes here."

The Jets are still rebuilding and to be mad that each hole didn't get answered this off-season doesn't make sense.

#95 PennyandtheJets, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    tomdeb and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I don't see anything in what you quoted that even remotely suggests that he's complaining that every hole wasn't filled. He's talking solely about the OL. He isn't talking about WR, CB, backup RB or anything else. Tom's major focus is the OL and has been since he joined this site.

I don't think it's a stretch to not be satisfied with Mac's version of addressing the OL, i.e., trading for a 29 year-old LG coming off a serious injury, and then drafting an OT in the 3rd round that is iffy, and at best may windup at RT, and might have to move inside to OG. Mac could have signed a C in FA and he could have signed an OG. He also could have signed LaAdrian Waddle. Buffalo did that. They signed Morse, Jon Feliciano and Quenton Spain at OG and LaAdrian Waddle and Ty Nsekhe at OT. They didn't stop there, either. They added Cody Ford with their 2nd round pick and Dawson Knox (a very good blocking TE) in the 3rd round. THAT is addressing the OL. Buffalo went from having one of the worst OLs in the NFL to probably one of the best.

17. NCJetsfan

The fact remains that with the amount of cap space with which Mac had to work and the players that were available in FA, Mac could have filled 4 out of 5 of our glaring holes (C, RB, #2 CB, OG, and Edge Rusher), and the only reason that he couldn't have addressed the 5th glaring hole is that there weren't really any top FA OGs. He could have added a stop gap OG, but in fact did better by trading for Osemele. So Mac could have easily addressed all 5 of our glaring holes in FA. He wouldn't have been able to sign Mosley, but then ILB wasn't a glaring hole/need. Mosley was a luxury pick that we couldn't afford.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Morse is an average C and Ford looks to be a decent prospect, especially if you believe his one good year in college is what he will be in the pros, not his one bad year. The rest are just different names than the crap OL they had in place last year.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! Yep, I guess that's better than no picks on the OL like the last two years--life is full of small victories, Sam!

Sam Hammer likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good Post

We all need to compare/contrast Mac's so called efforts at improving things with what other GMs are accomplishing especially in our Division ..Seven or eight potential OL players versus the 2 that Mac found us!!

I heard Brandon Bean on NFL radio yesterday break down the above mentioned Bills players and how excited he is to get them

Right now, I think the Jets have the edge in firepower over Buffalo but Sam and Levion need a better wall to get going