Grade the Jets 2019 Draft Picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Apr 27, 2019.

1. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

Who is Enuga???

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Your thoughts on MacCagnan belong elsewhere.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

A- then? :)

I just factored each player. Not who they could have picked otherwise. Or any other scenarios. Potential value. None of us truly know right now though.

4. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Lol at the Austin comment.

5. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Overall I think it was a solid draft, not a great draft but solid.

While Q is the most immediate impact player drafted for the Jets, I really think the two picks that will pay dividends are Polite and Wesco. Polite is a risky pick but worth a game at 3 especially with 2 3rd picks. We needed an edge there. Is he the best one available? That will remain to be seen.

I admit I don’t know anything about Wesco but reading and watching the tape, and reporting that he plays “nasty” is what I like and think he is going to add depth and very valuable on the OL. The guy has solid hands too and is a big short target for Darnold.

I hope Austin plays. If the Jets had 7-8 picks I would understand why he would game on Austin. But imo they needed a safe pick and add depth.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Awww what's a matter you can't handle the fact that the majority of your boy Mac's draft picks sucked once again? Deal with it.

Your thoughts on my posts are irrelevant.

Jets69 likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): A

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): B

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): C-

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): B

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): B-

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): F

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The consensus of long term national sports outlets is that the Jets draft was a solid B with individual results from C+ to A-. But you know better. You are irrelevant.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): A-

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): B

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): B

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): C

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): B

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): D

Overall I'll give the draft a B because Q Williams is a beast. But I'm not sure how much credit to give Mac when his previous picks are why we were in position to take Williams this year.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I wanted to sit over the weekend to grade it so i didn't have an emotional fan response and also have some time to study the people who we picked

1) Williams - DL - Grade A
    i'm sticking with an A. as a fan with allen sitting on the board filling a bigger need i wasn't happy, but objectively Q was the higher rated prospect, BPA, and rated by most the bets player in the whole draft so it's hard to knock that pick. and before people call it a "no brainer" look how bad oaklands pick was at 4, and the giants at 6. This didn't fill a need, but could be the end of leo as we are cap strapped for 2020 and may not be able to bring back leo all things considered. we could look to franchise and trade him. we also explored trading down but mac didn't feel the return was worth passing on Q

3A) Polite - EDGE - Grade A
    I'm not going to give an A+ because value wise it was a reach (many had him 4th-7th round) and because he has big bust potential. Mac went boom or bust in the 3rd to compensate for not having a 2nd (he tried to trade back up but couldn't) which is a shame due to all the value there in the 2nd. Either way though he fills a big need and could contribute as a situational pass rusher as a rookie. he was thought of as a late 1st early 2nd round talent before the combine. then he bombed interviews, performed poorly at the combine (supposedly due to a hamstring injury) so he dropped hard. However he had the production (4th best edge rusher in 2018 according to PFF, 6 forced fumbles, 19.5 TFL, and 11 sacks in 2018) and on film he looks like he plays nasty with a nose for the ball and the ability to get in the backfield and disrupt plays. Not sure if he'll grow into an every down Lber but looks like he can pass rush in situations for us and be used the way we used luvu and attachu in 2018 and also he played 3-4 OLB in college as well so the transition is slim where most 3-4 OLBs played a 4-3 DE in college

3B) Edoga - OT - Grade A
    Not an A+ because his ADP is a reach here as well (144 and drafted at 92) however PFF had him rated much higher (64th overall player) so rankings are funny like that but OT was a huge need for the jets. Beechum is in his final year of his contract and old and likely won' be the jets in 2020. shell on the other side isn't old but only average and a free agent as well so we could be looking at 2 new starting tackles in 2020 and edoga has a chance to land one of the spots. he's mostly played RT in college and is a bit undersized to be a mauler in the run game but he's got great feet and athletic and didn't let up many pressures in college at all. and people said brick was too undersized but he worked out great. I expect him to compete for the LT job in 2020 and worse case he provides good depth out of the 3rd round or winds up at RT. We also traded a 7th rounder here to move up 1 spot

4) Wesco - TE - Grade C
    at first as a fan i hated this pick. 4th round on a TE who isn't much of a pass catcher? that's why i waited a few days. Now i see it as a solid pick. it only gets a C because it doesn't fill a need and was our last chance to legit get help at C or CB not to mention his ADP was 287 so huge reach. With that said i do think the pick overall makes sense. he's a hell of a blocker already and while not a great receiver has good hands and hard to bring down after the catch. he's a scrappy SOB and some scouts called him a "mini gronk" so could be a steal here in the long run and more important he should be a day 1 contributor as an extra blocker for runs and passes and as a TE2 and in the H-Back/FB role and lead blocker on goaline plays. So I'll give an average grade due to potential and the fact he should help a shaky o-line and help bill find more running room and darnold not get killed. Also making it a C+ over a C because we slid down to make this pick and in all the madness wound up with a 5th rounder we didn't have before.

5) Cashman - ILB - Grade B+
    Not a position of need at all. honestly we have a surplus here. Mosley, williamson, lee and hewitt. so why an ILB? well hewiit as a journyman back-up on a 1 year deal. lee is on the final year of his rookie deal. williamson has 2 years left. most like in 2020 we won't have a back-up ILB on the roster and cahsman can be that and a special teamer. his value here is pretty good and could earn time in sub packages. drafted at 157 PFF had him rated at 59 and called this the best pick of the jets draft. he had a 90 grade from PFF and they called ihm one of the most athletic LBers. could be a cover guy in nickel packages and replace lee after this season

6) Austin - CB - Grade D-
    it's only not an F because it was a position of need and there is a slim chance if he stays healthy he cold be a good one. But drafting a player who has blown out his ACL twice already in college and probably won't play in 2019 has devin smith or milliner written all over him. A ticking injury time bomb. Not to mention mac did the same with late round CBs with jones and clark which still hasn't worked out either. using all the 6th rounders on injured CBs hoping 1 stays healthy and pans out is rough. I would have rather looked for a healthy player who could return kicks with this pick

Overall grade (not an average) B+

I'm going to give mac a B+ overall or above average. He dressed edge and OT with 2 boom or bust picks in the 3rd. both have potential to be good starters but also as good of a chance to fizzle out. Taking Q if he turns out to be the next donald would be genius. he deserves credit for making the pick simple as that and hard to knock BPA. in the final day he pissed away a 6th rounder on a guy with 2 blown ACLs but his 5th rounder looks like a draft steal to be out back-up ILB after lee is gone.

What we still need? basically only 2 positions were left undressed. C being the biggest one. I'd call up GB if i was mack and try an trade for their center since they drafted jenkins now. we could use lee and/or picks as trade bait. he's young and a top 10 C in the league and not too pricey so instant starter and upgrade. the other position is CB which just sin't going to be addressed this year. biggest needs for 2020 should be OT, CB, C, and maybe EDGE again and we will be cash strapped but could dangle leo as trade bait as well

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Clearly I do know better, thank you.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

From Walter Football a site I like a lot. Not perfect none of them are but pretty honest.

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php

New York Jets: C+ Grade

Goals Entering the 2019 NFL Draft: The Jets signed Le'Veon Bell this offseason, but that doesn't mean that they're done building around Sam Darnold. They must give Darnold some upgrades at receiver and the offensive line. Meanwhile, the defense is solid, but needs help at edge rusher and cornerback.

2019 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Jets were given offers to trade down, and they should have taken them. Quinnen Williams is an outstanding prospect, but New York could have used the extra assets to build around Darnold, given that it had just two selections in the top 90. Also, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams wanted a different player for his line (Ed Oliver), so the Williams selection didn't make sense from that perspective.

Still, the Jets made two solid choices early to improve their front seven, acquiring Williams and Jachai Polite, a talented player with motivational issues. The offense was addressed after that, with the Jets drafting a tackle (Chuma Edoga) and tight end (Trevon Wesco). That was it, however. No receivers were acquired, and only one offensive lineman was obtained. This is exactly why the Jets needed to trade down.

I'd say the Jets had a middling weekend overall. They certainly improved their roster, especially if Polite lives up to his ability. However, failing to address both receiver and cornerback should leave a sour taste in the mouths of Jets fans.

They gave the Bills an A+, New England an A- and Miami a B-. The reason they gave Miami a B- was the Rosen trade. They think Rosen has zero passion for the game and compared him to Blake Bortles who would rather party than play. They thought their actual picks were stellar.

Pretty honest evaluation based on team needs and what they did.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with this assessment, unlike the homers here. Q. Williams may be a beast, but they didn't need him and could've gotten more picks and better value while improving the team as a whole. The team continues to favor defense over offense and it's going to cost them. If Gase is upset, I's sure this has something to do with that. There is no such thing as a "shut down defense" in today's NFL. The NFL has ensured that offenses have the edge and that games will be kept competitive for the whole game. With such conditions, thinking that you can create this impregnable defense is delusional.

And if either or both Polite/Enoga don't pan out, this draft will sink to a "D".

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It was also interesting that Williams wanted Oliver who the Bills got at 9.

15. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I'm generally in favor of trading down and acquiring more picks, particularly this year. Unfortunately Macsuckan is keenly aware of his own inability to draft outside of the top 6 so those extra picks would have been wasted anyway. He prefers to minimize his exposure and make the safe BPA pick.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I wonder if Walter is basing his claim that Gregg Williams wanted Oliver over Q. Will on anything other than pre draft speculation? I doubt it.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama):A
    BPA Williams should get alot out of him. Could see Williams traded for additional picks , getting younger better and cheaper.

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida):A
    First round talent in round 3 poor advice lead to a bad combine. FLORIDA coaches called him the hardest working player on the team. Should be a steal.

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC):B +
    Can play both tackle spots or guard. Not an instant starter but needed with the # of free agents on the line next year.

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU):A
    Beast of a blocker who while not asked to catch often showed he can do so consistently. Major upgrade over Thomlinson who was beat often last season. Should offer protection to Darnold and create space for Bell

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota):B-
    Should be a solid special teams guy and offers good depth at LB .

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers):D
    Potential to be a starter late next year if healthy but there were other players who could have had more immediate value
    Overall I'd grade the draft a B+

18. I think its fair though i think a B- is more appropriate. C+\B- split the difference. I feel pretty good about 5/6 of these guys making a difference long term. I dont like the positions they play but none are lacking talent or dont fill a need.

Its almost good that we’re all so skeptical of Quinnon’s impact but if he sheds blocks like he did this past season at Bama hes gonna be unlike any interior DL weve had.Forget Donald or Sapp..hes his own animal.

Ultimately the whole division had a good draft..and if you wanna say the jets was 4th best thats fine cause they had the least amount of picks..but also got arguably the best player in the entire draft.

Right now i think the Jets & Buffalo are close w a slight edge to the Jets bc they have more top end talent/leadership & here comes Miami finally awakening from its slumber..this is good for long term compelling football within the division.

While we could be much further along Mac has this team on course to have deep talented roster by 2020-21 the latest.But i truly believe to get this team to actual ascension hes going to need to stick his neck out & win at the bargaining table w some kind of acquisition for a top talent at a need spot like he didn’t get done w Khalil Mack.And i dont think he has it in him.I think to get to te next level the jets will need a dynamic team architect & deal maker

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I really want Tee Higgins in round 1 next year. I might be thinking too far ahead, but looking at videos, he seems to do it all. Red zone threat, can get behind the defense, good on short and intermediate routes. He'd be the #1 WR we haven't had since forever.

Then trade up for an OT either in round 1 or 2 or ideally grab one without moving up.

And we need to go all in by 2020 as our key players will start getting paid soon. Not sure what our cap situation will be next year, but this team can't be in rebuild mode forever. Super Bowl windows are typically not very long.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. I cant wait to start looking at all the WRs for 2020 as the class is loaded same w OL who i have had a chance to start watching.Early impressions looked like some really good RT prospects (not a bad thing at all) but now there are like 6-7 more names w high projections.

Curious to see if theres anyone draftable in the up coming supplemental draft. If theres a decent prospect along the OL,Corner,WR or even edge the Jets should not hesitate to pounce

CotcheryFan likes this.