Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Forget wether you like him or not. Gase was hired by Johnson not Mac for these exact reason. Here's a quote from Johnson about the hire of Gase

“Adam is a young, creative mind, but he also has 22 years of coaching experience," Johnson said. "He is an innovator whose path saw him succeed at both the college and the NFL levels. He has helped a number of different quarterbacks, at various stages of their careers, reach new heights. We think Sam [Darnold] will continue to develop under his tutelage, but we made the decision because of Adam’s vision for the entire football team.”

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Gase being called the smartest football guy is very reminiscent of Jeremy Bates being called the same thing. Neither has yet to prove anything.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if you think he proved anything or not. He's the guy and he was hired by Johnson not Mac. If Mac can't get him what he wants and needs Mac should take a hike. Mac's vision for the team is secondary to Gase.

4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Never said smartest in football. Clearly and I mean crystal clearly smarter then Mac.

NYJetsO12 and Biggs like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Again what has this to do with my conversation with the other poster?

A conversation that had ended quite frankly and amicably at that, I see this not going that way already what with your false assumptions about whether I like him or not and more stuff that doesn't really seem pertinent to the conversation as it was originally.

6. Ralebird

I thought Johnson said "we" hired Gase. Why would it be understood that the use of the plural did not indicate that to include the current General Manager?

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm not attacking you. If I misunderstood you fine. My point is Gase is our guy and Mac better get on board. If people think Gase hasn't proven shit it doesn't matter.

NYJetsO12 and K'OB like this.
  8. Ralebird

What has Gase proven?

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Nothing, but it doesn’t matter. He’s been given the keys.

NYJetsO12, Brook! and Biggs like this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He actually said I in reference to the hire and we in reference to the interview process.

“At the onset of the interview process, I wanted to hire a head coach who was the right person and the right fit for our organization. We talked to a number of excellent candidates and it became clear to me that Adam was the person who will help us establish a winning program and a winning culture.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes Sam was a big addition - FINALLY! But in that same draft there 6 picks and three were on "D". This year 4 out of 6 were on "D", and as usual the first pick on "O" was after two defensive picks. And if this year's FA signings favored the offense, well it's about time given the lack of attention it's been given for years.

In broad terms then when I say "The offense never gets addressed" I'll stand by that assessment. Premium draft picks (Rounds 1-3) have been heavily spent on defense, and yet the consensus this year was "The defense needs a major overhaul". How is that possible given all the attention given it? Unless of course those giving the attention aren't very good at their job.

12. ColoradoContrails

And that's the crux of the problem with using FAs to build a team. They're almost always overpriced and over the hill or at least nearing that point so that for all your heavy investment you never really get a decent return on it. I'm not saying you should NEVER sign A FA but you need to be very judicious about it. I think signing Bell was a good move, but I also recognize it comes with a big risk. Look at T. Johnson to see proof of that.

13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I did say draft picks aren't guaranteed to pan out and that holes are going to appear. But I stand by the idea that it is still a failure if you have to shop for high-priced free agents. And even though they have a body of work to judge them on, the number of free agents who don't live up to expectations is extensive too, so it's still a gamble, but with even higher stakes.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Ralebird

I don't believes that indicates MacCagnan was not instrumental in hiring Gase while recognizing the final decision of course belonged to Johnson.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The problem with this is you’re essentially letting the pilot who keeps crashing planes one more flight to crash

16. K'OB

You will have to go back and read the original convo, I tried to repeat it for you but it loses something in the retelling.

My point originally was more that I believe as a new coach he has a weak power base currently, made less so by having a DC that is a want to be HC with a bit of experience at HC also, it is maybe a touch early for demands and shouting but also we did agree that these rumours were probably a huge pile of shit, to begin with :)

As for Gase...

I am a wait and see on the new coach, he comes across well on tape but it is all about what happens on the field at the end of the day, his stint at Miami wasn't stunning enough to gain him a free pass on what he wants just yet for me, Mac's drafting also doesn't give him a free pass either.

Hopefully, they will make it work and Williams will make the D work and not want to piss off to be a HC after one season causing more upheaval and set backs.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Or you can put a guy who has never flown that plane before try and land it.

18. K'OB

No problem, this is my 17th hour of the day and I am tired and probably getting tetchy or more tetchy than normal :p

Brook! likes this.
  19. From a draft/player acquisition perspective a GM & front office should be locked in from mid November onward.Thats when the process really begins of player groupings,stacking a board & developing a strategy.I emphasize the draft bc that is where this team continues to come up short.

Once you get into senior bowl week it should be all systems go & well organized.I get what your saying but if the gm about to be fired gives a damn about finding a new gig he wont waste 10 months of hard work to sabotage the operation.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

No problem. Long weekend of football. Alway enjoy your POV and I have no issue with anyone challenging mine.

K'OB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.