Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Good point.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The roster is better but there are glaring needs at C and CB. Darnold was like a juggler last year getting the snap in the shot gun. I would give this year draft a C minus.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

The franchise is actually heading in the right direction on the field when it comes to the defense and QB. There seems to be a plan. Next year we can focus on the offense since we probably finish around 6-10 this season thanks to the defense. The time to fire him was after last season, but since he's still here and just drafted some hopefully talented players while acquiring good FA's, he is safe for now. Darnold needs to get better. That will determine Maccagnan's fate.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Somehow "next year" never comes for the offense with this team. It's astounding really. I feel like the spouse of an alcoholic who says" "Next time, I promise! Really! I'll do better next time!"

News Flash: It's great offenses that win consistently in today's NFL. The rules are slanted that way, and the refs are trained to make sure comebacks can always happen - it makes for exciting football which drives up ratings and revenue. Only the Jets would insist on bucking that trend.

NYJetsO12, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 7 others like this.
  5. Putting the should he stay or should he go debate aside ..

I think theres a misconception about when the right time for THE TEAM is for a GM to be fired & thats right after the draft.

If you fire at the end of the season you put a new GM drastically behind in the college scouting process which begins early December & determines the most crucial big board prior to Senior Bowl/combine/workouts etc. they take the job & within a week are already flying out to the senior bowl while still trying to fill an admin/scouting staff etc

Now if you hire a replacement now he gets 10 months to fill in his staff & evaluate everything within the organization prior to the new league year

NYJetsO12, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  6. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I agree. We need a WR, C, T, G, TE. But we need talented players, and the talent this offseason was on the defensive side of the ball. Next year the offense is supposed to be so much better.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Peyton is a fantasy at this point. Nobody has him definitively interested in a front office job here, I don't know if he even wants one right now, and being a great QB doesn't mean he'll be a great GM. As for a president, that's a great way to undermine the coach you just hired. Hire someone to be his boss who odds are would prefer a different coach.

If I was in charge, I'd let the season play out. If things are great, I'd keep both. If I love Gase but he and I feel Mac is holding the team back, I'd let Gase pick the new GM with me. And finally if I'm disappointed with both, I'd fire both and start over. It would suck to make Darnold learn his third system in three years, but that's better than letting the dysfunction continue.

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i don't know how you guys can still feel like Offense is never going to be addressed.

In the last two offseasons we've added Darnold, Bell, Crowder, Herndon, Wesco, and Osemele.
    They also re-signed Enunwa, and hired an offensive HC.

That's about half of our starters on O slotted with quality options, an Offensive HC, and most importantly addressing the QB position.
    In just 2 years.

More could have been done on the O-line, but let's not act like Offense never gets addressed.

SOJAZ and Ralebird like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, you can debate the colour of the new uniforms, have your favourites on the team, but we must insist that if you're going to talk about positions on the field, the one we need filled is "center."

Brook! likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but that's just a twist on the same old line: wait 'til next year. There WERE talented C, T, G, TE, WRs in THIS draft, and had Macc played his cards better he might've gotten some of them. But by taking the "luxury" pick of Q. Williams first - an interior DL - he then had to burn another pick to get an Edge, and not even a top Edge (if you honestly factor in all his red flags), so then he wasn't able to get a decent C or other OL, nor CB.

If he had traded down - yeah I know, apparently he didn't have any good offers, but is that REALLY true? I certainly don't trust his judgement after five years of draft mediocrity at best. But even if we accept that he couldn't trade down, he could've taken Allen first and then not had to have used one of his scant 6 picks to get an Edge. Then he could've grabbed a T or C, then a CB, all with premium picks, and looked for his WR or TE in a draft loaded with them.

Getting back to your original point, if you go back and look at pre-draft assessment of where the most talent is, it's almost always on the "D" side, but whichever side it favors, you need to determine what your needs are and prepare a plan to fill them, That's why simply following BPA as Macc does will never allow you to complete your roster - it's always going to be perpetual rebuild mode.

JetsNation06 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Confused?

In the post you quoted I said yes we need a centre.

edit oh do you mean how you spell it wrongly as center :p

Brook! and Ralebird like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Definitely need to upgrade the Center position. We all agree with that!

CotcheryFan likes this.
  13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This is the crux of the problem with this roster right here and always will be as long as Mac is here. He's not properly prioritizing or addressing the key areas of need in favor of this bizarre BPA bullshit. He doesn't realize you need to marry the two and that's why the roster is always unbalanced. Add to that his rankings/evaluation of BPA suck and this leads to further roster decay.

14. Ralebird

Really disagree with this one. No draftee has ever come with a guarantee and many are just busts, even highly ranked guys. While past performance is no guarantee of future results at least there is a body of work in the NFL arena by which to judge a free agent. Of course, that body of work will come at a price.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You can’t fix a team in a year, which is what it looks like he’s trying to do. He could have been building the OL for years before he landed Darnold, but he didn’t. Now we still have a shitty OL after signing a former pro bowler coming off a down year.

It’s feels like Macs never had a plan until this year. Too little to late, perhaps? I don’t think he’s going to be fired until after the season FWIW, but who knows what the Johnsons are thinking.

16. Ralebird

Give control to a guy with not only a failing record but a history of butting heads with both ownership and players? No. Thank. You.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It's not about the power base it's about what's best for the team. Gase was hired because he's a bright offensive coach and great with young QB's. You may not like the hire but he's the guy that has to produce and he's the guy who has a concept for our O and Sam.

Arizona GM is equally crappy to Mac. If you look at Arizona's draft it has almost nothing to do with how Steve Keim drafts or builds a football team. The head coach's fingerprints is all over that draft. The owner's son basically told the GM do what this guy wants. I'm all in. He's the brightest guy in the building. Kingsbury has proven even less than Gase and yet another crappy organization just had a complete revamp of their entire team in 1 draft. Going forward the assessment of Kingsbury will be simple. He either gets results with his team or his gone.

I believe Gase is the smartest guy in our building when it comes to the QB and the O. I trust him to do what's right to make Sam and our O succeed. I trust Gase to have an overall concept for our team and our O. While Mac may be a good talent evaluator. He has done nothing to make me believe he has an overall plan for the team.

From my POV we might as well go all in with Gase. That way we can actually evaluate him.

NYJetsO12, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  18. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Bingo. Kingsbury was allowed to waltz in and have his own draft where he was the leader. And it was good.

Gase comes in and it’s the same typical Mac draft show that gets us nowhere. Let the smarter football guy be the driving force in the draft and that’s gase.

Mac is just a simpleton. he doesn’t even know personal things that 99 percent of general public knows about the guys he drafted.

NYJetsO12, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

No plan until this year?
    Last year he got Darnold and Herndon, and the year before he cleared out the cap that enabled us to spend on some offensive talent this year.
    The pieces we have on this team certainly have not come together in just one year.

Some guys are saying Mac has done nothing on offense, and you're claiming he's trying to do too much all at once.
    Just goes to show you, Jet fans will complain either way. :p

Ralebird likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Not sure what point you are trying to make to me tbh?

I never said I disliked Gase, (so please take that narrative away) the conversation was about the rumour of him falling out with Mac and the other poster saying "Gase is apparently not at all happy with him and has been throwing his weight around."

I asked what weight does a brand new HC have, especially one with a losing season behind him and rows with management already and with a DC that is really a HC in disguise hovering in the background.

Not a lot to do with your reply that I can see?

edit: it didn't really have anything to do with Mac but about the supposed power base that Gase had enough weight to throw around already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.