2019 Undrafted free agents:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Burnz, Apr 27, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Who needs an OL and skill players when you can build a DL as long as the Great Wall of China? o_O:confused:

#21 CotcheryFan, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Brook!, NCJetsfan, Burnz and 5 others like this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We have Herndon who is big and the new TE also who is massive and we have Bell who is obviously going to be used a shit ton, surely that is enough catchers to go round :)

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Interesting prospect. Looks like he's played all over the line, mainly at LG and LT, with a few starts at C.
    Lots of college experience and versatility.
    Size wise listed at 6'3" and 295lbs, he needs to bulk up a little and might project best as a C in NFL.

Obviously the connection with Darnold and the other rookie OL doesn't hurt either.
    I'll be rooting for him.

4. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Is there a limit on the number of UDFA's we can sign?

Ralebird likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I must admit the number of DT selected in the free agency class vis a vis WR or OL is disconcerting if not depressing, but some people at TGG give me the impression they think if you want someone you just push a button, and for each player we missed is because Mac didn't want him, as if the other 31 teams have the finger up their collective asses and doing nothing. There is a process and a pecking order for this as well. Having said that, it was the NFL free agency period the place to bolster the C position for us, not the draft free agency. Most of these folks are camp bodies to help with all the drills. There might be one or two jewels that stick, and hopefully the C is at the top of the list. My two cents

#25 LAJet, Apr 28, 2019
    stinkyB and FJF like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I don't think so but I've been wondering too. Add too many and it makes it harder to evaluate everyone adequately.

7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

How did Sills and the young man from Buffalo (wideout) not get signed by the Jets. Custus from Syracuse is another one.

8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

No limit to UDFA signings, but you can only have 90 players on the roster.

Leicester Jet and Brook! like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Even so, why not sign some UDFAs this year? If they aren't that good, he can always cut/release them. If they turn out to be really good, then we may not have to draft a WR next year and could focus just on the OL.

#29 NCJetsfan, Apr 28, 2019
    Pags2112 and LAJet like this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

He has signed a couple of WRs and OL as UDFAs. I believe we have 13 or 14 WRs on the roster right now and will surely rotate several more throughout camp.

11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

HE WAS MY PICK...PR, KR, SLOT (good backup to Crowder)

The New York Jets have signed undrafted free agent wide receiver Greg Dortch.

Greg Dortch is a 20 year old, 5’ 7”, 175 pound slot receiver out of Wake Forest University. He is a smooth receiver with good hands, the toughness to work the middle of the field and the lateral quickness to make big plays. He also has some ability as a returner, having returned both punts and kickoffs for Wake Forest.

In two years at Wake Forest Dortch had 142 receptions for 1800 yards and 17 touchdowns. A good Jets comparable player would be Jeremy Kerley, with Dortch having a bit more speed and big play ability. Greg Dortch has a decent chance of making the Jets 53 man roster given the limited depth behind the Jets top three receivers.

egelband likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mac signed Dortch, who imo only makes the team as a return man. He signed one OT and one C. He signed something like 4 DTs and a couple of DEs I believe, and not a single CB. There were a number of good WRs that were left as UDFAs, and Mac didn't sign a one of them. Emmanuel Hall was one who was unsigned as of late last night, but now has signed with the Bears. Stanley Morgan and Anthony Johnson are still available. David Sills, Jakobi Meyers (who is MUCH better than Dortch), Antoine Wesley, and Keelan Doss are still unsigned, yet Mac signed some stiffs at DTs who hardly played in college and had almost zero production. We have zero need at DT. Mac is just obsessed with the DL and doesn't understand that the NFL is an offensive league.

13. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

How you could scout + select Wesco and not notice Sills is beyond me. I’m hoping it just came down to Sills thinking he had a better chance in Buffalo (who may be the one team with less talent at WR).

There were so many big bodied WR’s available this year... it’s disappointing that Mac didn’t add any.

14. TonyFtLaud

These are camp bodies. There will be plenty more. I'm sure there are several players who are not showing up yet until updates are made.
    You googling available free agents doesn't make them priorities for Mac or any other GM. There's a reason they are still available.
    So far 2 WRs, 3 DBs and 3 oline have been signed by the Jets.
    WR Dortch and Smith from BC
    OL lobendahan, Miller and Tyler Jones from NC State
    DBs Battle (safety) along with Ramirez (Arkansas) and Brown(Akron)
    Also signed a RB Jalin Moore.
    All camp bodies ,same as your listed players. So we're probably now at 15-16 WRs
    Personally, I'm hoping to see a vet CB like Mo resigned and some camp cuts and possibly a trade for a Center

#34 TonyFtLaud, Apr 28, 2019
    egelband and LAJet like this.
  15. SoylentGreen

15-16 WR’s?

We had 8 and we added 2 more.

The real issue is size. Enunwa is our only physical + big target.

We have no true #1 and once you go past Anderson, Enunwa and Crowder... it gets bad...

16. TonyFtLaud

Check the roster for the #s. There were 12, I recall a signing pre draft plus the 2 additional UDFAs that we're just added
    Don't think any true #1s are sitting out there in the UDFA pool

#36 TonyFtLaud, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  17. SoylentGreen

You are correct, they have more on the active roster than I thought. It’s mainly spots 4+5 that I’m crying about. I don’t like the guys they have competing for those spots.

I liked having another large target last year in Pryor and don’t trust Enunwa to stay healthy.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

Agree but think between the top 3, the TEs, Bell and the depth guys, things will be good. Gase likes the short pass and yac with an occasional deep shot. Anderson and Crowder can be that occasional deep target.
    Burnett showed some ability late last year as well.

K'OB likes this.
  19. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Tyler Jones out of N.C. State looks like a nice pickup for us. He was projected around the 6th round and plays the zone scheme really well. He played tackle but projects as a guard in the pros. Seems like the only real knock on him is he needs a year to build up some strength (only 23 bench reps at the combine). If he sticks it would be great to have depth at guard.

TonyFtLaud and Frenbar like this.
  20. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

WE need dl because wiliama will play a lot more 4-3 this yr