What it means (for me) to be a Jets fan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Stagman, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

It may never happen

Get some good hobbies

2. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

To me it’s meant a lifetime of pain, heartbreak, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea. But most sadly it’s been a life of ridicule. Wearing jets merch around my neighborhood is the equivalent of wearing a target on your back. Or a sign that says “Hit me”.

I will never fathom how society allows fanbases like ours to be treated like subhuman garbage. We watched in agony as so called friends and family have rubbed their 2007 and 2011 giants Super Bowls in our face while Asserting their superiority and dominance. The so called struggles they currently face pale in comparison to anything we have undergone and the complaints rising from their side is further insult to our plight.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I have been a Jets fan since I was 10...1965. It was great when they won the superbowl. But most of the seasons have been less than productive to say the least. The sack exchange days were fun to watch, Klecko is my favorite Jet. We got close to the superbowl a few times but that's it, but I still wear my Jets jerseys, jackets, hoodie & tee shirts to show the world what team I root for & I live in south jersey....Eagles country. I will probably be 79 by the time Sam retires (if I live that long) & all I want is to see (at least) 1 more freaken superbowl. I will say I have enjoyed following the Jets all year long in this forum. Thats what being a Jets fan is to me. Go JETS!

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I've also been a fan since 98, but my favorite years were 2009 and 2010. Between Rex's brash attitude and the way this team played with swagger, I was sure this would be it. I remember them being up against the Colts at halftime in the AFC Championship Game when I was studying abroad in Japan watching them at like 7am. "This could be it! I may finally get to see it in my lifetime!" I thought. But like always reality had to kick me in the face. I was still proud of them even after the loss and thought they were a few moves away from going the distance next year.

Beating Brady and the Pats in the 2010 Divisional Game was probably my favorite game as a fan only slightly edging out the 2002 season when they needed help to get in the playoffs and then proceeded to beat the Packers and win the division. Its been amazing that we have been completely inept ever since. While everyone is pissing and moaning about this draft though, I would say I am the most optimistic about this team than I have been at least within the past 8 years. We got a good QB, our defense should be back to nearly as good as those 2009/2010 seasons, and (hopefully) Gase and Williams bring their experience to help us finish games and get back to the playoffs at least. While it hasnt been perfect, I think we are generally building this team correctly and everything cant be done within 1-2 years if we want to do it right.

5. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

It seems that with every new HC that first season is a good one, besides Bowels we made the playoffs. I just would like to see them successfully build on the first season with good trades and good drafting. And be successful for a five year period.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Greatest moment in Jets history post SB 3. Dick don't call me Richard Todd hitting Walker in Oakland to take the Jets to the AFC finals against Miami. Worst moment in Jets history post SB 3, the actual AFC championship game in Miami.

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U must be a newbie or U lack knowledge of the NYJ history. FYI the NYJs were the TOP OF THE HEAP in FB from Jan 12,1969 when they won SB3:mad:

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

1 Super Bowl 50 years ago. Just let that sink in for a minute if you have that much time left.

9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

If I watch one more Jets game I get a free sub.

Then i'm OUT

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

At least you were around for SBIII.

The Jets have yet to reach a Superbowl in my lifetime.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I don't view being a fan of a losing team watching a game I love as suffering. It's frustrating at times but it's still a fun and a great distraction for some of the real problems in the world and sometimes at home. It's a blast when you're riding high but if you truly find that you're suffering you should do something else. Rooting for a winning team is great but it's a competition and that's the cherry on top. It should always be fun.

12. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

All this pain, hassle, the defeats...the chances blown, the injured QB when the start of the season when we could have won it all...it will all evaporate when we win the big one. I keep the faith, primarily because... what else could I do? I got on this train in 1982...I can never leave it.

I stand before you, I can do no other.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The Sack Exchange gave me some hope. I thought stealing Mangini would elevate our game. Never liked the Herm hire. Hopes got up again with Rex coming from that Ravens defense. Since then its been blah. Don't think I will ever get excited about a coach until he has two consecutive winning season w/playoff appearances.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I was at the Championship game in '99 and was surprised how brutal the Broncos fans were - after the result was determined. I've never looked at Broncos fans the same way again. Way back when once our team was sent home I'd root for the orange crush Broncos. Never again. I was happy when the Seahawks destroyed them in the SB down the road from me.

ColoradoContrails and donkey like this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If it's any consolation I was flying home from Charlotte the day after Seattle pummeled them. The plane was loaded with Bronco fans in full gear. 5 hour flight you could hear a pin drop. They were totally unprepared for the ass whipping they got.

16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

It's better than consolation! Unfortunately that also reminded me of my flight home from Denver.... Never mind that, the flight TO Denver was great. An actual Jets chant on the plane.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I was 3 years older and in HS..SMH 8xs. We are ready for Social Security and still no SB..(laughing and crying)

Its 2019 and that's exactly 50 years ...maybe the Football Gods are with us now

18. championjets69

Your post is another one of those silly posts. U do not realize being a fan since 65 that I am unaware the last time the NYJs won a SB was 01/12/69? :mad:

19. championjets69

Nah U have to learn how to rate our players way better then U do & then U find that when the 19 season ends the NYJs will again be on the outside looking in. :mad:

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So how do you rate the players Champ?