Grade the Jets 2019 Draft Picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Apr 27, 2019.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Who is Quentin? :p

PabloJa and Noam like this.
  2. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): A

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): B+

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): B+

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): B+

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): B

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): B

Overall I like this draft a lot. If Austin gets healthy he is a steal at 6. Trevon Wesco is a talented run blocking TE, after signing LeVeon Bell, Wesco is exactly what we need.
    Quinnen Williams is probably the most talented player in the draft.

LAJet likes this.
  3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Quinnen Williams: A+ Easily a slam dunk. Was considered the best DL prospect in several years by many. You don't pass that up.

Jachai Polite: B+ Good risk pick. Filled a need that absolutely had to be filled but did it with a premium talent

Chuma Edoga: C+ 50/50 pick. Even riskier than Polite. But talented guy who played on a team with a shitty coaching staff. Could be an important player.

Trevon Wesco: B Almost everybody I've read says he's got a stud. Given the system WVU runs I am not suprised he wasn't used as a receiver. Solid pick.

Blake Cashman: A Love this pick. Watched some of his film and he has the instincts and ability of full time ILB. Hits the gap smoothly, wraps up beautifully, makes good reads in coverage. Minnesota fans REALY wanted this guy.

Blessuan Austin: Incomplete Probably a washout. But how many times do you get a chance at a CB with his size and athleticism in the 6th round? The Jets obviously figured it was worth a shot.

Overall Grade: B

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

5. JetsCuseYanksFan

My overall grade is A-

1. Williams = A
    3a. Polite = A
    3b. Enuga = B
    4. Wesco = A
    5. Cashman = B
    6. Austin = B

Two themes jump out to me which makes this different than recent drafts which might show the influence of Gase and Williams. First, these are all HIGH CEILING guys who COULD be long time starters, except perhaps Cashman (but even then you could say ST’er). Second, three of these guys (Polite, Enuga, Wesco) have been described as beasts/nasty (aka dawgs) by draft analysts, coaches, etc. It feels like we are getting real football players, injury and character issues aside. Yes, that’s the chance you take - but that’s EVERY draft.

Attackett likes this.
  6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

How does the Austin pick get a B?!? Yes he has upside, but the dude may never physically recover o_O

abyzmul likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

1. Williams - A
    3a. Polite - B
    3b. Edoga - D
    4. Wesco - A
    5. Cashman - B
    6. Austin - D

That’s all first impression, taking into account where they were drafted.
    I’m happy to be wrong about the D’s, but there are too many red flags on those picks for my taste as of now.

Overall I guess a B-
    Some really good talent potential.
    I’d like to see less red flags and more focus on high character guys though.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): A A+ talent but didn’t want to draft the position again, wanted a trade down. Staying at 3 he was a no brainer selection as he was far and away the best talent available.

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): A He failed the combine, big whoop. The guy is a first round talent based off his game tape which should always be the top requirement.

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): B Addressed OL so there’s that. This guy seems far more boom or bust than Polite to me. Big time talent but whether or not he reaches it depends on his mental makeup improving.

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): A I dare anyone to watch film on this guy and not love the pick. Will likely make an immediate impact with room to grow, can’t ask for much more than that for a 4th rd pick.

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): C will likely step into a specials role immediately. Also has upside for more. Not crazy about bringing in another ILB but good value and upside.

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): F
    Great name but that’s about it. I don’t get drafting a guy coming off two straight ACL injuries on the same knee. Like I’ve said though, when your last pick is the biggest complaint you’ve done alright.

Obviously as with all drafts time will tell but we looked to have gotten 3 immediate contributors, 1 immediate STs contributor and 1 that can potentially be a good starter on the OL down the road. Can’t ask for much more than that from a draft with as little picks as we had.

#28 Attackett, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  9. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): A Jets did good here by taking BPA instead of falling to the pressure of need based drafting

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): B+ I see what they were going for here trying to get a pass rusher but can't help but feel that Jets still should have drafted David Long CB Michigan or Chase Winovich Edge also Michigan. Time will tell but I am really high on David Long and wanted him bad.

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): C- Decent project guy but I think better players where available that could possible contribute right away. Also didn't like trading up to grab this guy even if it was only 1 spot for a 7th.That 7th could have been used to take your choice of UDFA. If we had gone with CB David Long the pick before we could have gotten Oshane Ximines Edge Old Dominion or better yet Maxx Crosby Edge Eastern Michigan

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): D I really like that we traded down twice and picked up a mid 5th but I really scratch my head on this pick. Not that I think that Wesco is a bad player but just poor value. We take a blocking TE/FB when we have glaring holes at Center and corner (?) Center Lamont Gaillard Georgia and Isaiah Johnson CB Houston where still available. Not to mention several guys at RB & WR

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): A- At least this guy can tackle. At this point in the draft your taking players for depth, with limitations, projects, special team players or guys with character issues. That said Lamont Gaillard Center Georgia was still here but if I had my way I would have taken him last round and still been able to take Cashman here.

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): C+ Injury history guy with upside. I would have taken project Tackle Isaiah Prince Ohio State

So If I had my way our draft would look like this

1 .Quinnen Williams, DT Alabama
    3a. David Long CB Michigan
    3b. Maxx Crosby Edge Eastern Michigan
    4. Lamont Gaillard Center Georgia
    5. Blake Cashman, ILB Minnesota
    6. Isaiah Prince T Ohio State
    7. Preston Williams WR Colorado State

10. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Tks, Was trying to keep it simple. You can find reasons to love or hate this draft. I think Williams has a chance to be great (like really great). If that comes to fruition and Polite alone becomes the pass rusher some believe he can be... then this draft will go down as one of the best ever for the Jets.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

William-B doesn't fit our needs and should have been traded. Great talent
    Polite-A- high risk reward pick that made total sense in the third.
    Chuma-C need pick that should have been filled with a trade down.
    Wesco-A just because he likes to kill people
    Cashman-WTF
    Austin-C- fills a need for our medical team to practice on.

Draft grade C+ draft. Our draft on paper is worse than every team in our division. To be determined if paper means anything.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mac's entire tenure, he's never really been able to trade down when needed the most. Find it hard to believe he couldn't get a decent deal for the #3 pick. Felt the trade-downs late were OK, but I think the Jets missed out big time not drafting a Hakeem Butler for Darnold.

1. Williams - B+
    3a. Polite - A
    3b. Edoga - C-
    4. Wesco - B+
    5. Cashman - C
    6. Austin - F

You have to look at the Bills and in a way, I am pretty jealous in terms of how they are stacking up good lineman to protect Josh Allen.

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Curious about your Wesco grade.

You claim he's a "blocking" TE. Do you know much about him? Because he's far from jsut a blocking TE and has tremendous value. There's a thread dedicated to him on this forum. I get your points about Corner and Center, but grading his pick as a D is a little strange

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): A+

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): A

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): A

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): A

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): A+
    -Cashman gets an A+ from me because Mac created that pick by a couple of trade downs. Any value from him, even on special teams, would be a good pick.

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): C

Overall: Solid B+ draft. If Polite becomes any kind of a pass rusher, it will be an A+ draft. I feel like he can.

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Once again, too many good players at positions of need that Mac passed on. Needed to walk away with real contributors at OL and CB but don't see it happening with this group. Also don't like his mid round ass backwards trading picks. Overall I give it a C.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

One trick pony? The title here is "Grade the Jets 2019 Draft Picks" not grade MacCagnan's drafting; there are a dozen other threads doing that.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

And who's the one making those 2019 draft picks? The draft picks are a direct extension of Mac and my thoughts on him should tell you where I stand on most of the picks. Lousy and off course.

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Don’t particularly like this draft. None of these players sans Williams will improve this team.

But I guess this team will only be as good as Darnold.

19. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Wesco+Herndon have the potential to be a killer combo in the two TE set (there's an official term for two TE's on the field at once but can't recall it off the top of my head). Wesco has great size and Herndon played very well last year showing flashes for making plays. The Jets could go for the power run, play action or go for the big play with three safety valves for Darnold. The check down can be a life saver if the big play is covered by the opposing D.

The Williams pick is good IMO because he has the potential to cause issues up front if he lives up to the hype. I am not familiar with the other picks so I cannot pass judgement on them but, I hope Polite can get pressure on opposing QB's and notch a few sacks in the process.

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Overall B+ doesn’t make too much sense with so many As and A+s!

The Dark Knight likes this.