What it means (for me) to be a Jets fan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Stagman, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

I started following this team 1998, since I arrived from Italy. I was always a Jets because of my dad being from Bayside queens. I root for all NY teams. There are times I wish that my dad’s ancestors migrated to Boston instead of New York. Since that 98 season I got hooked on following this team, learning the rules of the game, learning the history of this franchise, following draft and looking forward to watching the games on Sunday at various sports bars in the mid-west. Where in those rare occasions I would run into a Jets fan was like running into a long lost relative. These last 21 years, I never remember a time where the Jets were good for more than a five year period. I remember Herm Edwards had a few good years, but at the end I couldn’t wait for him to be gone, do you guys remember Paul Hackett? After him came Mangini, I remember being a member on the website Jets Insider, when the news of his hiring was made the serves crashed. There was some much excitement about his arrival, he made the playoffs his first season. I had so much hope. Still think that the 2006 draft was one of the best. Then came Rex, and again a surge of enthusiasm, awesome first two years, for me personally the best time to be a jet fan. After his fourth year I wanted him gone. Than it was bowels, and I’ll stop here since this is recent history and we all know how it went. So, what I’m trying to convey to my fellow Jets fans is when the F@$k will this team win a Super Bowl, how long do I need to wait and suffer? Is asking for five years of good play/drafting asking to much? Sorry for the long-winded post.

NYJetsO12, Brook!, boozer32 and 5 others like this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the trip down misery lane.

The jets have been an average to poor franchise forever. The only thing that will change that is a Super Bowl victory. Don’t hold your breath this season.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I honestly just want to watch Game of Thrones tommorow...I dont care about any of this.

Jets69 and Noam like this.
  4. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

For me it was the year we played Denver in the 98 AFC Championship game. Hope for me was at an all time high up 10-0 early in the 3rd quarter but, alas the wheels feels off. Jets get shut out the rest of the way and get beat 23-10. If they would have gotten past Denver I really felt that SB was theirs to lose against the Falcons. During Rex's run those two SB's would have been tough to win against NO and GB as it seemed that they were always going up hill during that time. Just goes to show just how difficult it is to win the big one in this league.

Brook!, boozer32, donkey and 2 others like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Think about those of us who have been fans of the Jets for over 50 years.

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

It means laughing at myself everytime I tell someone what team I’m a fan of

7. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I do hope episode 3 is better because episode 2 was pretty lame IMO. To much mushy drama and not enough killing :)

8. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

Jeez, in the 80's you had the New York Sack Exchange, any other highlight?

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I became a Jets fan when they were the NY Titans and have rooted for them ever since, I guess that's 57 years. One Super Bowl in all that time. A few seasons - maybe half a dozen - where they had a shot to get there but fell short. You might want to think about rooting for another team if you're that impatient. I don't mean to be snarky, but apparently being a Jets fan means them always having to say "We're sorry".

NYJetsO12, Brook!, boozer32 and 2 others like this.
  10. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

When I'm at the gym wearing a jets shirt, I too get smart ass comments, living in Bronco country.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea, it kinda blows to tell people your a Jets fan...at least these days. This is almost the longest playoff drought in team history.

I still wear my gear with pride and always will.

12. ColoradoContrails

I share your pain, also living in Bronco country. Bronco fans are insufferable, maybe not as bad as Cheatriot fans but up there. Hang in there.

13. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

I just can't, it is not my personality. I don't understand people who were fans of a team and switch allegiance just because they move somewhere else.

14. ColoradoContrails

As a Jets fan I understand. I console myself with also being a lifelong Yankees fan - and yes, longer than the Jets, and I stuck with them when they SUCKED after Mantle retired and before Steinbrenner made them relevant again, and the long drought between the Reggie/Munson championships and the Core Four Dynasty. I figure rooting for the Jets is my "penance" for being a Yankees fan.

boozer32, Fiftynine and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I was 13 for SB III with Joe Namath. Other than a few other bright spots here and there, there's been a LOT of misery.

16. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Kenny O'brien slinging it out there to Wesley Walker and Al Toon was fun to watch. Freeman McNeil was pretty talented at RB. We used to put up some serious points back in the 80s.

The game that got me hooked was in '86 against the 'Fins. We put up 51 points and beat them in OT. At 6 years old I didn't know that it was possible to score that many points in football. I thought I was watching the greatest team ever. Fast forward a couple of months and I see us lose in double OT to Cleveland in the playoffs. I really should've cut my losses then...

donkey and MoWilkBeast like this.
  17. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

The Monday night miri
    The Monday Night Miracle was another exciting moment. I was working swing shift on the flight line, coworkers were filling me in (making fun) on the game. I was able to catch the last quarter, major boner moment.

Jets81 and Fiftynine like this.
  18. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

Do you live in the Denver area? In Colorado Springs there's a shitload Broncos fans but because of all the military bases there are other fans bases. Unfortunately there is a huge patriot contingency that congregates at the Fox and Hound on Powers boulevard. I was the only Jets fan there the one time I watched a game there and boy did they talk a lot of shit.

19. ColoradoContrails

I used to live in the Denver area - Castle Rock then Parker, then Aurora, then Conifer, but moved west to the Grand Jct. area in 2005. This is almost 100% Broncos country. Most people here simply treat me like an oddity, like "There's really other football teams?" I actually was a sort of Broncos fan - Elway fan before I moved to Colorado in '97, but after a few years of Broncomania, and especially losing that playoff game to them, I lost any feeling for them.

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

What being a Jets fan means to me: Shame, Guilt and Remorse