Grade the Jets 2019 Draft Picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Just your initial impressions, based on your own opinion, big board, need, or value of the pick.

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): B

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): A-

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): B+

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): C-

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): D

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): F

Peebag, JetsNation06 and Jets69 like this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): B-

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): A

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): B

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): C-

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): B+

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): A

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): B+

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): B

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): C+

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): A

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): B-

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): C+

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): C

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Funny, with all the people complaining about this draft, I've been looking up our grades given by different analysts. Most if not all rated our entire draft a B to an A-

Im very happy with what Mac did here. Picked BPA at the top. Filled outside pass rush need. Filled a desperate need at OL with a guy who Darnold is familiar with. And took some gambles on guys late.

I would give it a B+ as of right now

6. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I'd give Qinnen an A. A lot of talking heads had he rated as the best player in the draft so I think he deserves an initial grade of A

I agree with Polite pick.

Edoga I think is a C+

Wesco is a B, I think your C- is based on who was still there not so much where he was taken.

Cashman I'd give an F

Austin is a Z.. way worse than an F

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  7. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna go pick by pick, but I think that in the end, it was the typical Mike Maccagnan draft ... made the obvious pick in the first round (that will pan out), tried to be cute on Day 2 (one player everyone had going higher that will pan out, one player no one has ever heard of that will be a waste) and everyone else will never see the field. Williams will be great, Polite will start eventually (if not this year) and everyone else will be out of the league in 3 years.

#7 Unhappyjetsfan, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Look back on all of our past years and what the "experts" said. I think you might be hard pressed to find a year where we were not in the B range. We never really get graded poorly.

9. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The draft started out fine but fell apart due to lack of picks.

1. Williams - A talent, C fit = B
    2. Polite - A- talent, D character = C+
    3. Enuga - B talent, C drive = B-
    4. Wesco - C talent, B+ intangibles = B-
    5. Cashman - B- talent (unknown?) = B-
    6. Austin - D, (why?) = D

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): A

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): B+

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): B-

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): A-

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): F[

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): A+

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): B

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): A

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): C+

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): C

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): ?

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): ?

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): ?

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): ?

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): ?

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): ?

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

1. William's- A. Hard to argue with the best player in the draft.
    2. Polite B- A for potential F for attitude and character. This is a high risk high reward pick that will likely flame out. Normally I would say the third round is a good time to take a chance on a talented risky player but there was so much talent on the board. What saves the pick for me is it's a position of need. I hope they did their homework on this guy.
    3. Enuga B Nasty guy who can dominate in the run and pass protect. A lot of upside but again character concerns.
    4. Wesco B+ - nasty great blocker with great size and athleticism. Like having a 6th OL. He Can be used all over the field as H back, full back TE. Levon Bell loves this pick.
    5. Cashman ? I hope this is a pick for Boyer. Boyer will need some dedicated special teamers as 3 of our best special teamers in Peake, Tomlinson and Cannon might not make the roster.
    6. Austin B+ This is the kind of pick I love in the 6th round. A guy with 1st or 2bd day talent but who has been injured. Hopefully, he will pay dividends.

Despite the indivudual grades I am disappointed in the draft. I was hoping for a trade down, a center and an edge rusher. We lost out on Mcgovern. I hate Dallas. Overall I would give it a B- due to the ri sky 3rd round picks. I hope that Williams, Polite and Wesco can make an impact. But I guess our off season will be more defined by our FA signings in Bell, Ose in a trade, Mosley and Crowder. This draft will be defined by Quentin. If he is great then it's a great draft. Would be nice to see one of the two round 3 and 6th round lotto picks work out but Quentin will define this draft

I think its time to resign Mo.

#13 Noam, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

7. First Name Last Name, C (College): ?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I wasn't trying to be cute....I love Quinnen but really have to see how he gells with Anderson and Big Cat. Plus a lot of the interior production depends on the edge rush together with our DBs forcing the QB to hold the ball a second longer than he wants.

I wish I had a better feeling for our DBs. If opposing QBs can fire off the pass in under 2 seconds first time every time, it won't matter much who we have rushing him.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I really like how you did this because as much as a player's talent factors into the grade, so too does his fit and other characteristics. The only two grades I disagree with you are Cashman who I would say B - talent; D - Injury = C; and Austin - C- - talent, F - injury, and could've been a UDFA = F.

Overall I'd say this was a B- to C+ draft, with potential to be a really good draft or a sub-par one. I was hoping for more and I don't think that hope was unrealistic.

17. Williams- A- Hate the position he plays but if his game translates look out

Polite A Got a good feeling about him if he can keep his head on straight

Enuga B+ Thought hed be a fit leading up this draft esp after senior Bowl.

Wesco B+ Folks are underestimating this guy.He seems to have a similar skillset to Hockenson who went round 1. Hes a better athlete than folks are giving credit.He gets down the seam in a hurry,has some wiggle after the catch & even split out wide at the X at times.Hes a big boy & a great blocker.

Cashman B- Alot of other Mikes seemed to go around him. He looks really smooth/instinctual on tape,great production & even gad 7 sacks his junior year. Think theres something to be said for stacking talent at ILB given the scarcity.Jets are now really deep down the middle. Still wouldve preferred offense

Austin F Im rooting for the kid.The size intrigues me as do the ball skills displayed on some of the YT footage. Mac has done this before w Jeremy Clarke & Derrick Jones.Taking Big corners late & essentially redshirting them. Still this pick needed to be for another developmental OL or one of the many decent WR prospects still available.

Mr mittens likes this.
  18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

The one solid player we got is in a position we didn’t need

The needs we filled come with huge question marks

So months of prep ends up with: pick first based on ESPN rankings, second pick position u desperately need but u passed on the best guys already so just gamble on guy who plummeted pre draft, third just get the QB’s college buddy

this draft gets a C at best

Peebag, JetsNation06, Kris 15 and 4 others like this.
  19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): C Just don't see him as game changer--bust potential due to lack of experience--also plays with studs on defense makes him look better--Ed Oliver was a better choice IMO

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): B- could surprise if he plays faster than combine suggests--

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): F don't see him as anything but a turnstile at T in the NFL

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): D Like him but Herndon seems good so why pick a TE here?

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): C Too early for this rudy-type story

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): C+ 2 blown knees and somehow he's gonna make it in NFL? Like his ceiling hence C+ but unlikely to reach

OVERALL GRADE: D -

Jets69 likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

1. Quinnen Williams, DT (Alabama): A Best player in the draft, I didn't want him as a trade down made more sense, still can't give less than an A for BPA

3a. Jachai Polite, OLB (Florida): A- Hadn't heard of him before the draft but on reflection, this could turn into a massive steal for us.

3b. Chuma Edoga, OT (USC): C Got a lot to prove to make it in the pro game, some plus points but some negs also.

4. Trevon Wesco, TE (WVU): C A blocking TE is hardly the stuff of dreams and to hand over another pick for a fucking place makes it even worse, undoubtedly a decent player

5. Blake Cashman, ILB (Minnesota): D for the team and A for special teams were he looks likely to find himself.

6. Blessuan Austin, CB (Rutgers): F There is always an element of risk to every pick but when you select a player with your last pick in the draft who has blown his knee not once but in successive seasons and played 5 games through the stage of a career where you are learning and improving all the time, he has missed out on that part of his football education and the riggers of the pro game do not look good for his ACL.