2019 NFL Draft - Day 3 Discussions

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 26, 2019.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"We can rebuild him.... we have the technology"

@abyzmul

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I agree that WR was much needed, however, I'm here posting and the Jets Draft team are making decisions. I'm going to see what happens. I like the picks and hope we pick a gem at WR through UDFA.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

[​IMG]

The 6th Round Man

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't get it

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

HRs in games already lost don't mean anything. And who said they're HRs? Q. Williams may be a great player, but will he be great on the Jets who already have a similar player? And if they get rid of L. Williams to make room for Q, how is that a net improvement? Yes, maybe the "Defensive Genius" Greg Williams might find a way to use Leo and Quillen together, but even so, by taking an interior DL first, they then were forced to use another pick on an Edge, a pick that might've been used for a C or LT.

As for Polite, sure great raw ability, but the red flags over his intelligence, character, and emotional makeup are waving madly. Again, had they taken Allen, or even one of the other high rated Edges first, they could've used this pick to fill another hole. In the end we have yet another "D" heavy draft for a team that has had a bottom 10 offense for years.

In short, it's not about the stupid, pointless 6th round pick

EDIT: And his last two players selected have major injury concerns and may not be able to play! It's almost like Macc only cares about the first two rounds of a draft, and after than it's "Throw the darts against the wall".

#385 ColoradoContrails, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    tomdeb likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

Neither do I. This CB has missed most of the past two seasons with injuries to his knees I believe and ran a slow as molasses 40 time at the combine and ran super slow at his pro day too. CB/IMLB picks I've hated but overall I like our draft.

7. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

Generally, no, you aren't. But then again, at this point in the 5th round, you aren't getting a franchise QB either. 5 Super Bowl Rings later, 6th round draft pick (199 overall) Tom Brady worked out ok for NE. So, shit happens. Most of these guys don't work out; some do. You don't know until you draft them. I'm glad we got one OL in the 3rd round. He's a project, but I hope it works out. Just feel like we have a lot less depth & quality at C than at TE, and it's not outrageous to question what the hell we are going to do at the center of the line once the season starts.

Going back to 5th round centers, guys like our (sigh) Wesley Johnson was a 5th round center, as was Packers Corey Linsley, who was a 5th round pick and has started in Green Bay (when healthy) since he was drafted. It's a draft. It's hit & miss. The point isn't that drafting a C in the 5th round means that you've got a lock starter, but saying that you can't unearth a starter in the 5th round is just factually inaccurate. Plenty of guys like Doug Baldwin, Ryan Clark & others went undrafted and went on to have good careers, as have a number of guys drafted in the 5th round & later.

The point is, however, that we have a significant need at Center. We didn't have a significant need at backup TE (how can you?). We have a franchise QB, and a franchise RB. Who is getting them the snap? Who is protecting them? Jon Toth? God help us.

Top 3 picks this year were solid. Bottom half of the draft is just a lot of question marks. If you hit on the top half, no one cares about the bottom half, but still...we have needs we could've filled & didn't.

8. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

Interesting draft for me. I don't care as much as some of you regarding wideouts this year. I must be the only Deontay Burnett believer here. I think he showed a lot last year, and I actually like a top 4 group of Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, and Burnett. In addition, with Gregg Williams running the defense, I have full faith that Trumaine Johnson will bounce back and I actually like Brian Poole, definitely more than Buster Skrine. Derrick Jones I think is ready for the opportunity to compete as well, and Darryl Roberts has been a competent and competitive corner as well.

We added Quinnen Williams, the most destructive tackle in college last year and with the expected push on the interior, will no doubt open more opportunities to pressure the opposing QB. Big fan of this pick! I think he'll be a young Suh at least. Kid says the word dominate so often, he must eat and sleep with that thought on his mind. Motivated young Suh.

Loved the Polite pick as well. He says he's been humbled, and I don't care if he botched the mental part of the interview/combine process, as long as he listens to Gregg Williams and uses his God given ability to sack the quarterback! It's the only reason he was available in the 3rd round smh...ridiculous! He seems to be a good kid. Now he NEEDS to succeed in order to help his MOM truly retire for good!

The USC kid, don't know about him, but I'm sure Sam let them know all about him. I'll take it. Seems he's versatile, and a good backup plan to Shell and Beachum.

Wesco is one of my favorite picks. Forget about Tomlinson and Leggett. I would stick with Herndon, Wesco, Brown, and Sterling. The most talent is in those 3. Wesco is like an an extra offensive lineman when blocking, seems super aggressive. He's also got potential as a pass catcher and I'll leave it to Gase and company to bring that out. Think Wesco and Herndon will play a lot together.

Cashman and Austin??? Know nothing at all. But they're 5th and 6th rounders. Total crap shoot. Cashman was a team captain and a walk-on. Seems like a good special teams guy to begin, then we'll see. Austin, lottery ticket. I agree we probably could've gotten him as an UDFA, but you never know. They liked him enough to not take that chance.

No one knows if a draft is good until the games begin. I will say that I loved our 1st, 2nd, and 4th picks and got great value for each. We also got, if healthy, athletic freaks.

Good luck to us, go Jets!!! Hope begins with a franchise QB, and we definitely have that now. Now let's sign a veteran stopgap at center in case Harrison can't do it or gets injured...

Ralebird likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that one can occasionally be really good or get lucky and find a quality player who winds up being a starter in the 5th round and lower. It's pretty rare however, and that's all I was trying to say.

Oh, I 100% agree with you that we should be questioning Mac about the center position. I can't believe that some posters are just blowing that off/ignoring it. It is a fireable offense imo. He should have signed a C in FA and didn't. He should have signed a #2 CB in FA too, and didn't.

While I think need has to be taken into consideration in the draft, in general, I think it's a mistake to draft for need. That can lead to reaches and mistakes. If we had traded down and gotten a 2nd round pick or had been lucky and one of the top 3 C prospects had fallen to our 3a pick, I definitely would have wanted and expected Mac to take one, but when he didn't trade down, I know that we weren't going to get one of those 3 guys, and we were screwed. The only things we can hope for are that either we're able to sign an older camp cut center who still is better than Harrison, or Jon Toth comes out of nowhere, proves to be better than Harrison and wins the starting job.

10. ColoradoContrails

This is about as positive a summary as I can imagine, and it honestly made me step back to reconsider my POV. But...While it's almost certain that Q. Williams will be at least above average, if not great, there are major question marks on all the other guys, and the odds are that some them go unanswered. Polite and Edoga have character/emotional concerns that could well cause them to blow up. Cashman and Austin have serious medical issues and they may not ever recover enough to play in the NFL, or last very long if they do. The only pick I like really is Wesco who I think will make a big difference as a blocker and receiver.

Bottom Line: You see the "glass half full", I see it as "half empty".

JetsGoFar likes this.
  11. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

He said "you need to be looking for starters in every round."

I took that to mean you need to be looking for a starter in the 5th.

He then clarified (and completely changes the meaning of his first post) that he should be looking for players that can become starters in every round at some point. Which is obvious, and presumably what every GM, including Mac, is doing.

And my problem is people who throw hissy fits because we didn't draft a center in the 5th round as though that would save our season. You probably shouldn't draft for need in any round, but especially after round 3 because they will all be developmental players and by the time they are ready your needs will most likely have changed.

12. ColoradoContrails

Nope, I didn't "completely change the meaning" of my first post, you misinterpreted my meaning. But that's the problem with guys like you who always believe they're right, they can't admit when they're wrong. So if you're counting that would make TWO problems you have (so far).

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I wanted to address WR this draft due to the strength of the position but as far as needs go it was pretty low on the totem pole.

Overall I think this looks like a very good draft. When the 6th rd pick is the only one you can realistically find complaint with I’d say they did a pretty good job.

14. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

I hear you. The truth is, none of us know. The draft is crap shoot.

I love what our team did this offseason, with free agency adding leadership, talent, and playmaking. Just as much, the addition of Gregg Williams to me was just as good, as I "believe" he will light a fire and teach our D how to close games better. And Gase has a lot to prove, but Sam has now got a head coach who understands offense and will help him grow his game. So important now that we "believe" he is our franchise QB.

Tape doesn't lie, especially against top competition. The tape on Quinnen is undeniable, and he should only get better, stronger, faster. Gregg Williams is gonna have a ball with him, Mosley, and Jamal being the centers of his D. Polite's tape is also very, very good. For a 3rd round risk, I would take that risk all day every day. He has 1st round talent, had 11 sacks and 6 forced fumbles last year!!! Maybe he needed to be humbled, and hopefully this process has humbled him. I'm more than happy Gregg Williams can build him into what he can become.

Frank Pollack has an amazing resume for an offensive line coach. I'm sure he was asked his opinion on Chuma Edoga, and hopefully he can be a good backup that can push Shell and Beachum, unlike a Brett Qvale lol.

Wesco we agree on. Guy is a beast, let's hope he can reach his potential. He will help our running game right now, and keep developing his catching prowess. I wouldn't want to tackle him!

Let's hope Cashman and Austin can contribute. I wish them the best.

Now let's trade Lee and hope we can pick up a veteran center that becomes available via trade or waiver wire. We have the money to take on more cash in a trade, so let's see what happens.

I refuse to think half glass empty. I refuse to believe past Jet failure should have any impact on what we can become. I am a fan no matter what.

I will say this. Bowles and company got stale real fast and took no risks offensively and played prevent defense when ahead. Those days are hopefully over, as we have two agressive leaders on offense and defense. No risk it, no biscuit!

15. ColoradoContrails

I think there's been ample justification for questioning all the picks.

tomdeb and themorey like this.
  16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Harrison/Toth or even a vet out there that isn’t on our roster yet has a much better chance to be our starting center vs a guy in the middle-late rounds

Same with the people freaking out about corner

The bottom line is this team won’t be fully loaded and ready until 2020 and we kinda knew that for a while

There’s gunna be bandaid/hold the fort guys at a few spots and maybe they’ll surprise us

17. Attackett

Oh really? So what’s your in depth analysis of each draft pick since you must have more knowledge on these prospects than former scouts, players and people that get paid lots of money to study each of them.

18. ColoradoContrails

Go back and reread all the posts.

19. Attackett

I’d rather poke my eyes out with needles. I thought you had in depth analysis of each of the draft picks that were made.

I have no interest rereading all the whining because we didn’t draft a prospect that a poster wanted, it was hard enough to read the first time.

20. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

This has been said after the last five drafts. Year after year. "Maybe we can get the OL help we need when cuts are made!" It never happens... that is why you draft OL. OL has been a weak spot since Mac took over. Not once has he drafted TWO OL in a draft. This was the first time in Mac's history he took OL in Day 2, instead of waiting till Day 3. The man is a moron.