Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Okay. My thoughts are that Gase and G. Williams had more input into which specific defensive player was getting the nod than MacCagnan did after a group effort determined they were going that way.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The entire basis behind this thread is an article comprised of nothing.

PulseJet and Ralebird like this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Maybe but they might not be on the same sheet of music. Macc has been here a while and he has had no input into who his coach should be. So maybe the trust isn't there from Fredo Johnson. Maybe Gase didn't want a DT for his first pick as coach of the New York Jets. Usually where there is smoke there is fire and Macc needs to be picking players for this team like his life depended on it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Very likely but we shouldn't need three pages to figure that out and at the same time turn it into firing MacCagnan for trading three picks, two players and a sack of outdated jerseys to move into the second round. Try to keep your feet on the ground, guys.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

usually theredzone is pretty legit and vets all the stuff so i apologize if they didn't this time. i didn't check the source as that is a legit site

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Whether he is or isn’t on the hot seat, he definitely should be.

Acad23, NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think Mac would do that. Operating in bad faith hurts you in the long run, see what happened to Idzik when he tried to get Rex fired.

boozer32 likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Actually, the point is that when you cut and paste an article, you should be providing the source to make it easier for those who don't simply read something and file it away as gospel. I'm not about to subscribe to the Athletic so I have no way of knowing the timing or context of the Lombardi quote. Certainly canning a GM in April is pretty farfetched.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

fair enough. next time i'll add the link

edit: to be fair though there is a link to the atlantic (original source) but it's paywalled as you said. also the writer is https://theathletic.com/author/michael-lombardi/

Michael Lombardi is an NFL Insider for The Athletic. Since the mid-1980s, Michael has been an executive in the front offices of the 49ers, Browns, Eagles and Raiders. From 2014-16 he was an assistant to the coaching staff of the Patriots. He’s also worked for numerous media outlets, including Sports Illustrated and The Ringer.

so he's a pretty legit source as well

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This rumor is not adding up very well. It started with a hint that Gase and Mac where in disagreement over Paradis, now has drifted with no real source about a disagreement over the first pick, someone else is speculating Greg W was not high on the Q pick without any proof whatsoever, other "so called unnamed sources" state Mike and Hermdinger were going at it over trading the first pick, which Mac refused, but now the same people think Mac wants to trade up which kind of defies the previous rumor. I think there is smigeon of truth somewhere and a lot of smoke coming From a bunch of folks with very little connection to the Jets.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Think about it though.

If this was even a remote possibility, don't you think they would have just canned Mac alongside Bowles at the same time? That would've been the smart play, its extremely illogical to fire your GM now at this juncture, for something so minuscule in comparison.

You don't hand 100mill and a very high draft pick to a guy you plan to fire after the draft.

I don't have faith in the CEO, Johnsons, etc...

..but this would be beyond moronic, even for them.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Macc needs to step up his less than stellar game and hit on this remaining picks. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we do not need a DT in the rest of the draft. Is that a safe assumption? Unless we can dump D Lee and get into the 2nd round. We need a corner and maybe Greddy Williams is there. That way we can corner the NFL market on the amount of Williams on the Jets team.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I guess the rift between Gase and Macc is real. I feel like I should lock the GoFundMe thread.

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

8:05 mark. You are welcome...

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter if you want Mac to stay, go, or are indifferent...this article is complete bullshit and based on nothing. It makes no sense

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

This is so amazingly dis functional it has to be true. It’s sooo Jets They saw the giants floundering and said we gotta top that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I have thought about his so called report.... All reports leading up to the draft was that everyone was on the same page... HC even stated that all the coaches had input and they met with the FO to provide input. So now there is dysfunction? IF there is, then I believe its the HC which does bode well for him. That means he didn't learn a Fking thing in Miami because there was dysfunction there also...

If I was CJ, I sit both down and read them the riot act and tell them to make it work and if I found out that it was HC, I tell him to chill or else. WE have another HC already on staff....

#137 SOJAZ, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

19. Ralebird

Accessing the Jets page on the Athletic lets you see a list of articles and the first paragraph or so of each. In doing so, the most recent byline there by Michael Lombardi is dated February 11 with an additional one about a month earlier. I did not look back past the first of the year. There is nothing in the beginning paragraphs of either article that indicate the quote in the OP would be contained therein so unless Lombardi had this in a tweet or something it appears to be old news, if news at all. Does anybody here pay the big bucks to this website to find the origin?

20. Ralebird

Thanks. As expected, a slip of the tongue rather than ignorance of the situation. He followed right up with a definite understanding that QW was instrumental in raising his siblings after his mother's death. Much ado about nothing...unless someone is really trying to make MacCagnan look bad for no reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.