Still no pass rusher

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nevbeats319, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I think you're wrong. Not that there was a consensus, but there were definitely people who didn't agree with that specific aspect. You won't find any of this type of stuff on Quinnen - he's a very different prospect. In fact, most of these question marks on Leonard are actually rated the polar opposite for Q (motor, pass rushing ability, pass rush moves, general pursuit of the QB, penetrating the line, not being taken out of plays, stellar tape)

SI had him as the #1 player in the draft, but also this in their write-up

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/23/2015-nfl-draft-rankings-leonard-williams-usc

Bleacher Report:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ft-2015-scouting-report-grade-for-jets-rookie

NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/leonard-williams?id=2552486

PFF:

Sporting News:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/oth...hts-titans-raiders/12xc42cjvrs9y1ja9av5daroun

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

They don’t need him to. I’m simply saying he will.

And will they next year? No.

This year it made sense.

3. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

No one ever rushed a passer from inside. Shame.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

All VERY troubling. So, instead of Aaron Donald II, we're getting L. Williams II?

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

So pass rushers can only come off the edge? Cause I’m pretty sure one of Quinnen’s strengths is rushing the passer.

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Looking at this team from last year to this year, I would say we've done a good job in adding players, & CS . On paper we are a much improved team, now we need to put it all together & start winning. What I like is Mac brought in guys in their prime 25-27, except KO...29, no old & fading players. I think the biggest difference maker will be the coaching staff. All the players in the world won't matter if they're not coached rite . I much more excited this year than last. & for sure we won't be ranked 32nd in strength of roster like last year. I like the direction the team is heading in.

LogeSection2RowJ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Snatch Catch

No, no, no, those were LEONARD Williams scouting reports showing how he was not generally thought of as the kind of DT who would definitely create QB pressure from the middle in 2015.

Quennin's scouting reports are very different - almost the polar opposite, as I said at the beginning of the post you quoted. Quennin has multiple pass rushing moves in his bag already, high motor, can still create pressure through double teams, unbelievable tape, and a definitive ability to destroy passing plays.

That post was a response to EnunwaFan's post saying, "correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Leo called the best player in the 2015 draft and he was gonna generate interior pressure without help?" Leo's scouting reports as the best player in the draft highlighted a tremendously versatile DT who was a terrific run stopper, had outstanding physical measurements, and the potential to develop into a pass rusher in the future. Good floor, huge ceiling, but still raw when it came to pass rushing pressure from the middle. Quennin literally has strengths in all the spots Jets fans are frustrated with the stagnation of Leo; he's decidedly not the same type of prospect.

8. ColoradoContrails

You're right, I misunderstood who the quotes were about - I didnt read the "fine print" of the url that had "2015" embedded.

In any case, those quotes notwithstanding, L. Williams was widely considered the "Best Player In The Draft", and while he's been very good, he hasn't been what I consider a game-changing player, which is what I think top 10 picks should be. And here we have ANOTHER DT. Maybe he lives up to the hype, I really hope so, but until he does, I remain unconvinced that this was the right pick.

And let me reiterate that as a Jets fan I really want him to be what you and others claim he will be.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

The Jets are smarter than every other NFL team and realize that Edge rushers are overrated. Why waste your pick on an edge rusher when you can just put a 3/5 technique standing up on the edge?

10. ColoradoContrails

And their record proves it!:rolleyes:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I can't believe somebody would admit to this and even more surprised they didn't ban you when he turned out utter shit :)

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It hints of sarcasm to me :)

13. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

14. Snatch Catch

For the record I'm not claiming that he's actually going to be anything, I'm just trying to take an objective look at as much information on Quinnen as I can find right now. Literally every single report paints him as a disruptive force up the middle whose primary talent and skills allow him to rush the QB and blow up plays in the backfield as his calling card.

What I've found about Quinnen when weighing all the evidence is a very different picture than what was written/scouted about Leo when he was drafted. Leo was the "best player in the draft" due to rare athletic gifts in the perfect size/frame, versatility on the line, elite run-stopping ability, and the potential to become a pass-rushing presence. There was a lot of ceiling with Leo because of his traits, but it was also much more projection because the tape and production wasn't there to match it.

My responses in these threads are just trying to present evidence to help quell fears or dispel inaccuracies. I have no clue if Quinnen is going to bust or not, I just know for sure that, at the time they were drafted, he and Leo are very different prospects and the fear that "we're taking another DT who's the Best Player in the Draft™ yet we still have no pass rush" doesn't seem supported by the plethora of information out there on Quinnen.

Like you, I hope it plays out the way all the pundits and writeups suggest it could/should. Given the specificity of information on Quinnen's best skills and their current level, I'm hopeful.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

I can appreciate where you're coming from, but as a looooong time Jets fan who has seen this movie a few times, I can't help but be skeptical. I do hope you're right though.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and Snatch Catch like this.
  16. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

You can have ten great pass rushers; If you don’t have an offensive line you don’t win. And this team doesn’t have an offensive line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12, AJW and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Was not meant to be anything other than a little humor. That actually IS what Kotite said though, as the fans booed the Kyle Brady selection--"We got some more picks coming."

ctjetsguy likes this.
  18. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Since switching to a 3-4, it has been an gaping ignored hole, to put it another way, the last time the jets had an outside edge rusher, Darnold was 8.

19. ColoradoContrails

Which is why I'm also not a fan of the 3-4. What's that saying? "Doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result"?

tomdeb likes this.
  20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

All in all, I can't be upset getting the highest graded player on NFL.com who probably has not come into his own yet as a player, and seems like a great kid who's THRILLED to be a Jet. I like his chances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.