Welcome to the Jets, Quinnen Williams.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Shit forgot about that
    Lol

stings less seeing the Darnold connection
    Thanks

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

every round makes us nervous.

stinkyB likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

His nickname is "Big Baby" Williams. It is perfect because he fits the bill and we have a lot of Williams' here

4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

This is a fantastic pick.

Quinnen is going to be an absolute stud. Unlocks our line and sets lenny free from doubles

Catfish Billy likes this.
  5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

While I sympathize with the reluctance by many of taking another D lineman in retrospect I'm quite happy with the choice. I would have been very happy with Allen, but after seriously watching highlights on Q I'm amazed how good he is with just one year under his belt and playing against top talent.
    I refuse to relive the past about what we had in the D with Mo and Sheldon because I absolutely detested the incompetence of our coaching staff and their defensive schemes, boring and predictable. I will argue that if we changed nothing on the D line we will be far better with this coaching staff. So is hard to judge what a stud like Q will add to it, but I'm convinced it will make our secondary and LB corps better.
    I respect other's opinions and recognize the frustration. The only thing that troubles me are some rumors (here) about Greg W not being too high on this pick, and Gase and Mac butting heads already. I fully expect a strong tie between players selected and coaching schemes and preferred formations. So I sincerely hope Mac is not doing this in a vacuum, great pick or not. We had enough of that bullshit with the past regime.

Footballgod214 and FJF like this.
  7. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

How can you not love this guy? Him, Jamal, and CJ are gonna be a great foundation for us.

Footballgod214, sozopol and macbk like this.
  8. Quinnenthebeast

I have also heard that each coach got the opportunity to present what they want to regarding schemes, etc to the scouts, which was never done before.

This is Gase's his last chance to be successful as a head coach or else he will go back to being a coordinator for a long time and Williams is one good performance away from being a head coach somewhere. Mac needs to be successful too or its back to being a scout for him. Its on all them to make this thing work. Oliver might have been who Williams preferred but I think he got a little carried away thinking he is the next Aaron Donald, a generational talent that Ed Oliver wont be. He should be able to make it work with the best player in the draft.

LAJet likes this.
  9. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

People don't want to hear it because it's not true. Leonard absolutely garnered some of the same "best player in the draft" accolades, but if you dive deeper into the scouting of the two players Quinnen is very clearly a different prospect - one with significantly less question marks.

Here are the strengths and weaknesses of both players as listed on Walter Football's scouting reports, with weaknesses of both player highlighted to show how they compared to each other:

[​IMG]

Even if you don't like these lists, here is SI's flattering review of Leonard at draft time, in which they had him as THE NUMBER ONE RANKED PLAYER ON THEIR BIG BOARD.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/23/2015-nfl-draft-rankings-leonard-williams-usc

stinkyB likes this.
  10. Quinnenthebeast

Lol that is spot on. Lets call it for what it is, Macs first 2 drafts were disasters. But that doesnt take away from the fact that he made a really good pick last night.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

You're satisfied with that?

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Well, I’m not acting like a whiny cunt today if that’s what your asking

twown and Dierking like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

some analyst from the Bleacher Report had a good point. For all the talk about defensive line not being a need, The Jets allowed 2,021 rushing yards and 4.6 yards per rush last season. They might've had some high draft picks on that defensive line, but it certainly wasn't good. Big Baby Williams is a clear upgrade

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

On your post before the draft did you want Williams. We seen people like you before like every Jets pick no matter what and a few years later blasting them that they sucked and the Jets should have taken so and so. Yes the BPA strategy has been so successful for the Jets these last 5 years under Macc. I refuse to believe every year that lone position is always the best player in the entire draft. Its insulting and does not advance the defense or the team as a whole. They need a CB and offensive linemen. That would have been at least an attempt to improve both sides of the team and more importantly fill a position of need.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

What CB or OL would you have taken at 3?

16. BrowningNagle

you got the wrong dude bro. I'm not an apologist. When they took Calvin Pryor I was drunk and angry I almost got banned from this site!!!

I was also angry as hell over Sheldon Richardson, but that one turned out to be a decent pick...

I actually did like Quinnen Williams before this draft because I watched an Alabama game or two and saw the huge guy wrecking havoc in the backfield.. you should try it sometime

boozer32 likes this.
  17. boozer32

The BPA at that position which was all available and would have filled a need. I will never think a non impact DT is always the Jets GM BPA available. Using that analogy will always unbalance your team. Case in point the Jets. They had to spend huge money and tank a season to address the deficiencies they had on offense because under Macc every year the BPA available was a defensive lineman. The entire league is picking talent and winning games but the Jets are only picking one part of the team and not stopping any offenses or more importantly winning. I thought with Gase coming onboard that that process would stop.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. boozer32

Maybe they should have taken the Clemson guy that went after him. Williams didn't wreck enough cause they lost to Clemson badly. So we will see how it goes. Hopefully this is Macc last draft. He's done enough damage. All his drafts have been awful. Darnold was his lone good pick. We could have used a OT and G to help him out and our new rich runningback. One step forward two steps back.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And yet, how many "Best players in the draft" has Macc added to that defense that now needs so much help? It seems like there's never enough defense for this team. Why not try something "radical" like beefing up the OL and offense since it is an offense oriented league? Maybe there was no "O" guy worthy of the #3 pick, but somehow that's always the rationale. I mean my god! There are guys here who say that most QBs aren't worth a top 5 pick! The most important, impactive position on a team is the QB, but they're "not worthy" of a top 5 pick?

I admit that it would've been a little risky taking a LT or C with that pick, but I'd love to see them go as heavy on "O" like they have on "D" for years, and what he results would be. Really, how much worse could they be?

abyzmul, legler82, tomdeb and 3 others like this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member