Welcome to the Jets, Quinnen Williams.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Apr 25, 2019.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm with you. Impossible to get excited about another defensive lineman. Was Macc hired to destroy the Jets? I mean others have done it by accident. He seems to have a plan to just destroy the team and have the seats and towels sold off. Once again thank you Ron Wolf and Charlie Casserly you truly suck and I hope whatever Woody paid you was worth it to you guys because it sure hasn't been worth spit to the Jets franchise.

2. boozer32

Williams only played one year also. They will easily double team him because he'll be playing against adults that are as big as him or bigger and more skilled. There will be no need to double team him because an NFL guard could take him out of the play by himself.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. ctjetsguy

ctjetsguy Active Member

Right, except for the fact that Quinnen Williams has been described as a perfect fit as a 3 technique and we play two of them at a time. You cannot double team two defenders at one time so Leonard Williams will receive significantly less attention. We will run numerous sub packages and fronts which is why Henry Anderson still has value. And what makes you think Q will be another Leonard Williams outside of the fact they play the same position and we still run a 3-4...I swear Jets fans die on the pessimist hill and it’s crazy to me

LAJet, FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  4. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Quinnen would of been an awesome pick if this team already had an edge rusher but they don’t and he’s just going to get swallowed up with double teams while the OL just single up the other Jets players who have no other pass rushers. I know Allen was picked at 7 but I would of taken a chance with him. Ah well....

5. ctjetsguy

ctjetsguy Active Member

That’s an asinine viewpoint. New regime, 2nd year quarterback, adding talent. The old timers “we need to win right now because we’ve sucked in the past” attitude is absurd because that’s not how things work in reality. I think the expectation would be to be a playoff team next year. There is zero chance we win the Super Bowl in 2019-20. 2020-21 though is a different story. And if you can’t see we’ve substantially upgraded our roster and young talent over the past two years I can’t help you

SOJAZ and TonyFtLaud like this.
  6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If we dont make the playoffs this year there will be more firings...So this rebuild fantasy will never happen.If this year is a disaster Mac is 100% gone and Gase could be to.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

ukjetsfan and Snatch Catch like this.
  8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s how I feel. I like the Quinnen pick but not being able to trade down hurts. There are great players still on the board and we probably won’t get anything other than solid depth in the 3rd. This draft just isn’t that deep. We do need more depth so it isn’t the worst thing in the world, it’s just I doubt we fill another hole with a day 1 starter from the draft.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I don't think "playoffs or bust" is fair, considering how miserable we've been this entire decade. We've only finished over .500 once since 2010, and we still missed the playoffs that year. But we need to be in contention for the playoffs this year. We need to be no less than one season away from the playoffs.

10. ctjetsguy

ctjetsguy Active Member

Well I agree with you that if this year is a disaster they should clean house. And I agree that making the playoffs should be the goal. I just don’t understand why people dislike this pick in a vacuum, it seems the only reason people are upset is because of our past experiences drafting interior linemen. If he ends up being a perennial All Pro nobody will complain ‍♂️ time will tell

twown likes this.
  11. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

If teams are double teaming Quinnen then they aren't double teaming big cat - they can only double team one man. He's massively sized and extremely skilled - you don't know what you're talking about.

12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I want to also clarify something

Q .............the man, the human, seems like a dynamite guy. Lost his mom, happy to be a Jet, etc.i actually like him (from afar) a lot.

I will root my ass off for him. I even love his southern accent and his youth and braces. I do not like the personal attacks on him and I think that’s just misguided disgust for our DL carousel drafting.

I’m mainly frustrated because we had goddam Sheldon here, and got basically zero for him (Kearse)

If we played our hand better, we could still have Sheldon (yes, big contract) and use the pick on a pass rusher or trade down.

I know Sheldon had some character flaws but he was a quality, high motor proven NFL PLAYER who is likely the similar to Q when all netted out. Lord knows we had the cap room.

PS
    These Williams guys need to hit the weights more. Take the natural ability to the next level. There is no replacement for talent plus hard work.

13. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Mac should have been gone with toilet Bowles. Regardless of this, the Jets are a young team in the middle of a rebuild - period. To believe anything else is delusional. If all goes well this year we should be a playoff team, but what we really need to see this year is Darnold take huge strides and develop into a franchise quarterback. If that happens, everything else is icing - even if we don't make the playoffs. Ideally we will draft a center and build up the rest of our offensive line through the rest of the draft.

SOJAZ and legler82 like this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I really wanted an edge rusher and also liked the idea of trading down.

After recently taking four consecutive defensive linemen I have a hard time getting excited about taking another one considering how that worked out.

It would be interesting to know some of the offers we passed up when we made the pick.

When you take a player at number three overall it is hard to call it a steal no matter how good the player is.

With all of that said we did select the highest rated player available so there are many ways we could have done worse.

15. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Sigh a depressing sight to see. Where is Macs savior Nathan Shepard gonna fit in now.... god that 3rd rounder right after we took Darnold was such a shitty blow. Just took your QB, gonna protect him ? Nope draft 25 year old D2 DT who no longer will have a job

tomdeb likes this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Still not crazy about the new uniform.

TonyFtLaud, joe and Ralebird like this.
  17. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

The big boys don’t look good in it. The muscle men and skinny boys make it look a bit better

18. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

19. boozer32

It would have been an easy sell because at least for the 2nd time in 10 years the Jets tried to fill an important need.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This thread is much more darksider than I expected it to be so my comment won't fit in.

Besides Sam, this is most excited I've been about our number pick since Mangold/Fergenson first round. This was not just the right decision, this was a gift.

Yes, we have struck out at DT before - and I cannot account for our bonehead roster management. But all signs point to QW being a real force in this league. People here are comparing him to Aaron Donald, and he is a lot like Donald. Be he is not Donald, he is not the exact same player. Where QW is different is he has a little Warren Sapp style bursts which makes the big guy very dangerous in the middle.

Williams has a lot of ways to beat you. He's strong, fast, and smart. He is going to make everyone around him noticeably better, which means our pass rush is going to be noticeably better with him. Yes, should accept that we just greatly improved our pass rush. Especially late in the game when pressure up the middle is vital. When you see the pocket exploding around Tom Brady, or him getting swallowed by the pocket, you'll know why this was the right pick. Getting Williams is probably going to translate into winning one or two more games this season.

If this guy doesn't become one of the all time greats, he will at least pan out to be a productive player. And that is the difference in why this pick was better than Allen. There is not as much of a guarantee going in that Allen will pan out as there is for Williams. He already has all the skills that can translate to the NFL and continue to grow.

Welcome to the Jets Quinnen Williams. May you grow to strike terror into the AFC East.

#80 ouchy, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    PulseJet, SOJAZ, LAJet and 5 others like this.