Another tie between the Jets and Ed Oliver

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Reading up on Oliver, everything I find says he was a consensus top 3 player - if not #1 overall - in this draft at one point. Did the minor knee injury and Jacketgate really take that much starch out of his prospects, or is there something I'm missing? Because the tape on him is high quality and the measurables are incredible.

Is this the major hold up?

https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-spor...ects-no-6-houston-dl-ed-oliver-225532174.html

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

NO!!! I would definitely be upset!

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm not going to pretend to be a scout, but for me the hold up is that the tape looks good and the measurables look good but there's still nothing more than "he was misused at Houston" to explain why he didn't produce the way you'd expect a top 3 pick to. We have no idea how he'll translate as a 3-tech because there's no basis other than opinion. And at a certain point in the first round that's all you really need to make a decision. It ain't the top 3 though. Especially with most likely one of the top two pass rushers still on the board.

4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

The major hold up is his poor production against poor competition. He was expected to dominate this year and basically laid a fat egg

Snatch Catch likes this.
  5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

There's also this take:
    https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-n...e-hearing-about-ed-oliver-right-now/306472792

April 22, 2:46 PM

An NFL executive told SNY's Ralph Vacchiano why he or she really thinks we're hearing about the Jets and Houston DT Ed Oliver right now.

"Interesting that this Oliver stuff (with the Jets) comes out right after we all hear that the Raiders might be in love with Oliver," the executive said. "Sounds to me like the Jets are trying to smoke Gruden and Mayock into trading up a spot."

6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well this could make sense....the whole world knows Mac wants to trade down.......he may not be getting the offers he wants so now he's going on the offensive trying to induce a trade.

7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

If Greg Williams says he wants Oliver so be it. These guys know more than all of us I am sure. I am surprised though. I like the trade down and hoping we get at least a 2nd and and 3rd but getting Oliver as their first pick is something I would not have pictured as the one of the 5 players they will take.

Oliver s a good player. If they have a plan, let them go with their plan.

8. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

This is kind of where I'm settling with it, too. If you're not going to be able to trade down fairly and get the guy, then you have to get him where you can. And if your evaluations on the player say he's more special than the consensus - AND you know how to use/unlock him - you take him at 3. It all comes down to how much you trust Jets scouts, Mac, and Williams, because the physical skills and tape can easily paint the picture of a top 3 player in the draft.

It sounds like the 0-tech stuff mentioned as the major excuse for the downturn in pressure production this year would not be a factor in a Gregg Williams defense, or am I wrong there?

Wouldn't Williams almost certainly be looking to use him like Orlando did in 2016?

I think my biggest fear after diving into Oliver is the big-fish-in-a-small-pond, massive ego stuff; how he basically loafed it when he wasn't being catered to.

9. The names at the top have gotten stale for the teams who might want to move up for a defensive player.Quinnon,Allen,Bosa, & White.Jets could just be calling out the teams that covet Oliver out of the weeds & convince them he wont make it for long in turn imploring them to trade up to #3.Hes just as talented as those other names

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Apparently the Raiders really like Oliver so the thinking is that the Jets get them to panic and trade up with them.

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yeah but I doubt that works. Especially is Williams is still there.

I'm starting to get the feeling the top of the draft is going to go bonkers - not at all what was predicted....

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

letting our Dcs and/or coaches pick our players in the past have not worked out well. Let the GM pick them and the coaches just do what they can with what they have

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. The one problem is thats pretty much what happened w Bowles who gave very little feedback on who or what he wanted & the results were not great or cohesive.

Its important for the coaching staff to have input but both stacking the board & having final say on the actual picks is another story.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

out last few drafts have been really good though. people are hating on them for no legit reasons. when rex was picking players it was awful. calvin pryor in the 1st? every 1st rounder mac has taken has been great

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Doubt it too. Recall the 2008 draft when the Patriots floated rumors that Belichick with the #7 pick was furiously working the phones trying to move ahead of the Jets at #6 with the thought that he wanted Vernon Gholston.

Hardly. . As soon as the Jets picked the overrated stiff, Belicheck traded down to #10 and drafted Jerod Mayo.

mrjet80 likes this.
  16. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

My preference is to trade down to 12-20 for the 1st round and accumulate a variety of added pics for 2019 and 2020 drafts. If we don't trade down, I'm OKAY with drafting Oliver or Q. Williams or Bosa. I'm not sold on Josh Allen. I have slight concerns on the below average season statistically Oliver had this past year, perhaps it's because teams doubled down on him, because prior to this season he was ALL WORLD and in my book, the #1 overall pick for this season. Something along the way changed and I don't have that answer, nor am I paid to provide you/Jets with that answer. hahahaHe

With Greg Williams as an apparent defensive mastermind... I have no problem envisioning the following... drafting either Q. Williams or Oliver at 3 and keeping Darron Lee. Our base 4-3(which I think we will honestly play the majority of time), would be= H. Anderson- Q. Williams or Oliver- L. Williams- Copeland/Jenkins. Copeland and Jenkins had their best years as a pro last year, same is said for Lee. Behind that DL, the LB corp would be= Lee-Mosely-Williamson. That's a helluva 4-3 base if you ask me. My problem is depth behind them. We will need rotational production from: Shepherd/Fatukasi/McClendon/Kaufusi/Basham/Tapper/Luvu/Hewitt/Wint.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He's certainly moving up the draft boards but this is another guy I don't see how he fits in with the Jets defense. This would seem like a Greg Williams pick for sure.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Solid comp. drob was misused as a 3-4 nt in manginis d.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sounds like jets trying to get raiders to come up 1 by floating out their interest in Oliver

20. It wasnt his ideal scheme but he actually had some really good games there. The issue was never having a bigger more “head up” option behind him for run stopping/rotational purposes. Drobs bad knees stood no chance in that situation.

An undersized nose tackle is doable.They play a 1 technique rather than a 0.Slant either side of Center & shoot the gap.This is a rare speciman. Get off & penetration are paramount. Not far behind are a thick lower body & anchoring skills.

FJF likes this.