So- was Sanchez “a bust”?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Ryan Leaf was a bust. If Mark Sanchez goes in the 3rd round and has an 8 year career and leads a team without a starting QB to 2 AFC finals including 2 playoff wins against the Pats and Tom Brady nobody is calling him a bust. He had a nice NFL career. He wasn't an elite NFL QB. Couples and Gholston were busts. Sanchez was a B NFL QB who's biggest failing was he was way over hyped.

NYJetsO12, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree, then. You can play the “if they were drafted here” game for any player. For where he was drafted the return on investment was incredibly low. When you draft a QB that high you expect to get a guy who fills the position for 10 years, not 4.

4 very pedestrian years at that.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

At least he left out the nose picking incident.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I agree. In 6 playoff game appearances Sanchez threw 1100 yards, had a 60% completion percentage and had 9 TD's to 3 INT's. He did his job.

The Rex Ryan Jets were modeled after the Super Bowl Ravens. A suffocating defense, a strong running game and a passing game that could provide balance. That was the template. Almost worked too. But it was the defense that failed to reach the Super Bowl. A major letdown after that terrific Pats game. Cant wait!

Why then do people blame the young QB who everyone knew was overdrafted, was green and had limitations to his game? He threw for over 300 yards against the Colts. Against the Steelers, down by 3 scores, a 2nd half comeback was put on his shoulders, and he almost pulled it off. I agree one more defensive stop and we may have an entirely different opinion of Sanchez. But the vaunted defense couldnt give him another series.

So yes, all in all he is a bust. He got his brain bashed in and was never the same after that. He is a bad quarterback now, his career peaked in his 2nd year. What might have been... he played very good in the post season. Something that cant be said for "Franchise" QB's like Matt Stafford, Andy Dalton, or even Philip Rivers.

5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

By his fifth season, he wasn't our established starter anymore.

When you pick a QB at #5 overall and he isn't your starter five years later, I'd say (barring injury) he was a major disappointment, and therefore, a "bust"

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great post! Well said.

ColoradoContrails and PulseJet like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't consider Sanchez a bust because he didn't win the AFC championship games. I consider him a bust because he was terrible in his fourth year, never played for us again, and isn't even an acceptable backup anymore.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, two different conversations. I also think he is a bust because he clearly is. Just saying many fans blamed him for those losses when it wasn't his fault.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Sanchez was not a bust because he was a bargain. The Jets traded what, 11 “Mangini Men” to move up to get him, so there wasn’t a ton of draft capital spent on his acquisition. I’d rather have had Sanchez than Brett Ratcliff or whomever else was in the trade.

Sanchez wasn’t a bust because his Jets tenure doesn’t compare with typical busts. True QB busts from this century include Jamarcus, Manziel, Harrington, Leinart, Wheedon, Young, and Ponderer. These guys were essentially useless for their teams, producing losing seasons and not a single playoff win.

Sanchez wasn’t a bust because he performed acceptably compared to his peers. The Jets had regular season records of 9-7, 11-5, 8-8, and 6-10 with Sanchez at the helm, with 2-1 playoff records those first two years. Of all QBs selected in the 2009 draft, he is one of two still in the NFL. Stafford, who is a superior QB, has more wins but still has not won a single playoff game. Comparing him to other more talented QBs, Sanchez’s short Jets tenure seems at least middle of the road, if not better.

Sanchez seems like a bust because he became a limited player. After the Timmons hit, he didn’t play the same. Even setting that aside, he never learned how to control his picks. His career numbers never rebounded, and the Jets made the right call to move on from Sanchez. His post-Jets numbers prove this to be correct.

Sanchez seems like a bust because his Jets career arc was inverted. If he had started 6-10, 8-8, 11-5, 9-7, with the latter two seasons being 2-1 playoff years, Sanchez would be showing progression instead of regression. For whatever reason, be it the hit or him just hitting his ceiling, Sanchez never grew as a player.

Overall, Sanchez isn’t a bust, but seems like one because of his early performance.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

To give you a little prospective compared to Kenny O, Sanchez actually didn't implode in the playoffs. Sanchez actually lifted his game in the playoffs. He had 9TD and 3INT's with a QB rating of 94.3 which is roughly 20 points higher than his regular season totals in his Jet years. Kenny lost his 3 playoffs games and his QBR dropped, and his TD to INT rate went negative. Ken had Al Toon, Wesley Walker and Mickey Shuler on one of those playoff teams and Al Toon and Rob Moore on one of them.

Unremarkable is not a bust. Beating Tom Brady's Pats in NE in the playoffs after the Pats gave the Jets one of the worst regular season beatings in the team history on Monday night football the same year was remarkable. Mark was tough as nails in that game. It was arguably the 3rd greatest win for the Jets in the franchises history. FYI he had 3 TD 0 INT's and a QBR of over 127 in that game. He absolutely lifted his game and carried the team.

Mark made it to the NFL and stayed in the league for 8 years. He was an excellent playoff QB for the Jets and a decent not great young QB for the Jets. He went into a hard decline and was still able to stay in the league for 8 years. 8 year NFL careers are rare not the norm. That's not a bust.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Lot of “ifs” for the not a bust contingent.

If you posed the question on other fan boards, I think they’d label him a bust. Partially for Jets hate, partially for it fitting the franchises poor draft record, but primarily because he just didn’t provide the kind of return on investment that you expect from a QB drafted that high.

At the end of the day, whether you think he was a bust or not, he still wasn’t the answer. If he had been, he’d still be suiting up for the Jets.
    You still didn’t answer my original question. Do you think a game manager could have had the same success with that roster. I’m guessing by how hard your defending Sanchez the answer is no.

Sanchez did nothing in his career outside of the Jets. 8 games for the Eagles and that’s pretty much it. Number 5 pick warmed benches for 3-4 years before he was out of the league.

I guess it comes down to what you qualify as a bust. You’re at the extreme end: Ryan Leaf, Vernon Gholston, etc.

I think there’s more room then that to be a bust. A handful of good playoff games doesn’t erase poor regular season play and a very short career with the team that drafted him at 5.

His career after the Jets was even worse. I’m not sure how that helps his case other then to highlight the shortage of QB’s the league is dealing with.

I have some great memories of Mark Sanchez playing for the Jets. Unfortunately, there are more bad ones then great ones, and the few great games doesn’t make up for a sub par career and one of the most embarrassing plays in football history.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I can't believe the Sancho hate around here!

He was a meteorite ...flaming out as he crossed the sky.
    • Most career postseason victories by an Jet quarterback: 4
    • Longest touchdown pass in a playoff game (2009): 80
    • Most game winning drives in a single season (2010): 6
    • Most regular season wins by a starting quarterback in 16 starts (2010): 11 (tied with Ken O'Brien in 1985)

ColoradoContrails and abyzmul like this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

A game manager doesn’t take us to the AFC finals two years in a row with that team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He was a quarterback drafted in the top 10. 8 years is nothing for those guys.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Crappy QB class. Josh Freeman was also a first rounder.
    Sam Bradford, did less than Sanchez
    Tim Tebow
    Cam Newton next was Jake Locker followed by Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder
    Luck, Griffin, Ryan Tannehill, brandon Weeden
    EJ Manual
    2014 Blake Bortles and Manzeil.

Nope bad QB class and he was the second best QB in the class. He has arguably had a better career than Bradford, Tebow, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Griffin,Tannehill, Weeden, Bortles and Manzeil.

8 years isn't nothing. Two AFC finals isn't nothing. Was he a franchise QB, absolutely not. Was he a bust, absolutely not. In a bad draft class we reached for a charming kid to sell tickets he performed well in the playoffs and he lasted as a backup for a few years after getting pounded pretty good. He badly lost the expectations game.

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

my 12 year old throws the ball with more accuracy than sanchez. he couldnt manage to lead a guy on a screen pass. he had one short period in 2010 where he looked ok. he led a couple of come back wins and it felt like he may just have some ability. but in the end he did not. he was scared, he was inaccurate and he was not a good qb.

when it became about mark sanchez making plays he was unable. he was a game manager who i believe wasted the jets only championship chance since 1998.

and then just like that coach everyone clamored over but was proven to be a complete turd herm edwards, sancheesalini went on to other locations and proved that he sucked there. over and over again.

bust, not in my eyes. i never had any thought that he was going to be a great qb. it was a mistake by the jets, not a bust.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I bet he wishes he had been payed like Bradford :)

stinkyB and Jets81 like this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Quite drunk at the moment. Still think Sanchez was a bust, but we can call him a turd if that will make people feel better.

Sanchez was a turd.

Would love to have that pick back. He helped the Jets get to the AFCC twice, which means jack shit now (and then for that matter). Super Bowls matter, and a Sanchez lead offense was never going to get it done.

We can say he wasn’t a bust, but the truth is he only had about 1 full seasons worth of impact games during his jets career. That’s awful for a 5th pick. Just because there were worse QB’s then The Sanchize doesn’t mean he was even mediocre.

Thanks for the few memories, Sancho. Glad you moved on when you did. Good luck in the CFL.

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Let’s not forget his arms were too long. Hard to overcome.

stinkyB likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Almost chimp-like...:confused: