Straight up choice, Josh Allen or Quinnen Williams?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 19, 2019.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

lol

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Of course I am not happy, I was on Mac before it was cool. But not because of his first round picks .
    Mac has shown he can get good players at the top of the draft so while I want Allen I will give him the benefit of the doubt if he takes someone else. At the top of the draft if you have a chance to take what you consider elite talent you should take him. Elite talent makes everyone better and maybe a Williams wall on the d line turns Jenkins from a 7 sack player to a 10-12 sack guy and gives us leverage when deciding what to do with L Williams. In the salary cap era I will never get on a gm for doing that .
    Now regardless of whether he takes Allen, Williams , Oliver, bosa, or whoever it’s not going to matter if he does not start coming away with more starters in the later rounds. We’re going to be in the same situation we were in with Tanny with a short window that closes quickly due to the cap and no bench.
    But no matter what, you won’t hear me call for stuff that would never happen like the gm being fired immediately after the pick nor will I hope the player busts so the gm is fired or post that I am done with this team. That, to me, is just a waste of space on the board.

TonyFtLaud and Red Menace like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s not.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Allen's ceiling is NOT Quinton Coples! Whoever said that has no brain.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’ve said physically he reminds me of Coples... tall, big body that played against lesser opponents.

Never said his ceiling is Coples though. Their motors couldn’t be more polar opposite.

6. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I've decided I'm gonna love the pick. If some can be prematurely disappointed, I'll go in the opposite direction.

'Great pick, Mac. A Hall of Fame guy right there'

FJF likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

My statement IS worthy of a laugh, but we only know about 1% of what Macc knows. And Coples had great tape too. If Macc sees flaws in Allen's game that aren't easy to fix, he might see Allen as less than we see Allen. That's all.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Allen didn't play against lesser opponents, so you need to stop at tall, big body. Allen played against the SEC.

9. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

He and Quinnen played the same competition. Quinnen had 5 stars surrounding him on the defense that likely made his life a bit easier. Allen was the sole focus of the other teams O line and they still couldn’t stop him

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Quinnen and it's not close IMO. Great athlete and his strength translates to the field. Smart player who reacts well to what the offense gives him. Supposedly had insanely good interviews. Uses his leverage and hands - he isn't a one-trick pony who can only bullrush. He gives us leverage during contract negotiations with Leonard Williams next year. He got along well with the players when he visited... what's not to like? Take the blue-chip prospect when the opportunity presents itself. Also, look at how differently the Rams defense played against the Patriots compared to the Chiefs in the playoffs. The interior pressure from Donald, Suh (and oddly enough Fowler) affected the Patriots tremendously (if the Rams offense wasn't so outclassed, the defense would have gotten a lot more rest and put up even better stats). Against the Chiefs, the Patriots just ran the ball down their throats and there was nothing that the Chiefs could do to stop it.

Allen is built backwards IMO. He relies more on speed than his strength and technique. Obviously he can still improve both of those (and he made great strides during his senior season) but I prefer edge rushers in the form of Bradley Chubb over Allen.

This team isn't going to fill all of it's holes in one offseason. Quinnen + BPA center/corner with the next pick (might require a trade into the second round) would go a long way to help. Can focus on tackle and wide receiver in next year's draft.

11. BroadwayAaron

He disappeared against Georgia and had two of his worst outings against Mississippi State and Florida. Regardless, who cares, he isn’t Coples and that’s never what I intended for the comparison to mean.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

You don’t have to explain it. I’m aware. The Coples comparison ends pretty quickly.

13. 101GangGreen101

they aren't the same athlete in any capacity. Coples should have been a DT in a 4 man front.

14. Footballgod214

ok...drop coples....ur missing the point.

Point is, if Macc's ONLY source of info was TGG, then Allen would probably be the pick. But Macc has pros that have watched EVERY pass rush Allen has ever had, studied his techniques, looked into his personality, on and on, and IF there are things in there that the public (TGG) knows nothing about, then POSSIBLY Allen won't be worthy of our 3rd overall pick.

For example, what if Allen's sacks came against 3rd and 4th tier lineman that shouldn't have been on the field, and Allen was shut out by Tier 1 lineman (the type of lineman he'll see in the NFL)? None of us has watched every snap and studied every sack, but Macc has.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think Williams is the better prospect but they are close enough that I would prioritize need over BPA and go with Allen.

I prefer a trade down though and I think that’s the most likely outcome.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Love the bold. Couldn't agree with you more. At the end of the day we are all Jet fans. Different views, different hopes, different perspective on players and selections, but one common expectation. Win, win, win baby.
    Can't wait till Thursday. Give us a team we can be proud of Mac.[/QUOTE]

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

these are fair concerns, but also remember Allen didn't always rush the passer, he was also asked to cover on passing downs ... so 17 sacks on lesser reps is impressive... he does need to develop moves ... but the fact remains you mentioned Coples as a comparison, hurts your argument. If we want to talk pros and cons, we can talk that

Imagesrdecieving and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. He WAS a 3 technique in his sophomore season when he dominated & went into his junior year as a presumed top 3 possibly 1st overall pick. He switched to a 7 technique & opposing teams avoided his side the field most of that whole season which caused him to slide.

What he ended up being was a definitive tweener who didnt have a position at the pro level

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

Yes, Allen is VERY impressive and I'd be thrilled if he's a Jet. I'll be even MORE thrilled if Allen is as dominant in the pros as college.

And edge has been a huge need for years. BUT I'd get it if Macc decides someone else would have a bigger impact for the team. Like Quinnen in the middle. Rex would take Quinnen all day every day. Rex preached strong pressure up the middle, collapsing the pocket in the QB's face, is more disruptive than an edge guy that can be game planned for.

So we'll see in a few days. I HOPE Macc feels an edge guy is the best, and he's sitting there at 3.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member