2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

So enjoyable to watch them knock out the Penguins in 4 games,,,,,we have waited a long time for this. Hopefully the time off gives guys a chance to heal up. We are playing with house money enjoy the ride guys it aint over yet

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Mr Darksider. Your Islanders are for real and they will win the championship. Have faith and cheer on.

JetBlue and CBG like this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Validation for the season. I think most people wanted to dismiss the Isles’ success as a fluke, expecting us to not just come back down to earth but come crashing down hard. The team is for real and if they can control the games as they did this series they can beat anyone.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Congratulations Islanders fans! Great series. Now you wait for my Caps or @Section 336's Hurricanes. Either way, Round 2 will be exciting and against a familiar foe. With the Lightning out of the picture (and Pens thanks to you), the East is literally wide open. No reason an Islanders, Blue Jackets, Hurricanes, Bruins, Maple Leafs, or Capitals fan should not feel optimistic right now. It is there for the taking.

Section 336 likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I had knee surgery right before the 2013 playoffs..... well 1st day of Physical Therapy coincided with the playoffs, so I'm wearing my Isles T-shirt that day.... I had ZERO expectations that the Isles could beat Pitt, but I was happy to finally see them back in the post season.

Lead therapist was a very out-of-shape dude (looks like he never met a donut he didnt like) with an audible Long Island accent (in St. Augustine, FL), sees my shirt and references the playoffs....
    "When MY Pittsburgh Penguins win...." (saying "MY" is douchey to begin with, and he emphasized it) ....
    "YOUR PENGUINS?! Dude, where in LONG ISLAND ARE YOU FROM?"
    He kinda looks at me surprised, and responds "Commack".
    "BWAHAHA I knew it..... Have you ever even been to Pittsburgh? Basically you're just a fair-weather bandwagon jumper! LAME!" then I talked a bunch of other shit too

The rest of my PT, someone else was there to direct me :D

So that's a little extra joy in this for me

The Dark Knight, CBG and JetBlue like this.
  6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Congrats guys

[​IMG]

The Dark Knight and CBG like this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Stinky, that Therapist might not be working there any longer but HE MIGHT = I think it might be a good time to drop in on that office and bring that entire staff some doughnuts or bagels and say Hello ---> just a thought

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

As far as the rest of the EC playoffs go from an Isles view we need CAR over WAS and TOR over BOS. That would leave the two wildcard teams CBJ/CAR plus Toronto(who the Isles finished in front of) as potential playoff opponents. The Isles would have home ice against any one of them. If they play WAS or BOS then the Isles start on the road.

CBG and JetBlue like this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

What kind of odds do you think you could have gotten at the beginning of the season that the Islanders would be the top seed left in the East in the second round of the playoffs? That would be amazing.

stinkyB likes this.
  10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

If anyone bet on them at the beginning of the year to win the Cup and that comes up then $$$$$$$$$$

stinkyB likes this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

They deserve it for going ahead on a dare & making that wager when they were hammerred :D

12. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

Congrats Isles fans. Well deserved series victory.

CBG and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Canes win tonight 2-1. Series tied 2-2. It looks like the Isles will get a long break before Rd 2. Caps may have some real bad news. Oshie got hurt at the end of the game. Speculation could be a separated shoulder. That would be a huge loss for them.

CBG, JetBlue and The Dark Knight like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

Yeah, awful news. I feel really bad for Oshie. I still can't tell if it was a dirty play or not. Mostly bad luck.

Good luck for the Islanders though, as they will either play the Canes or an Oshie-less Caps and with plenty of rest. Not too shabby. Reminds me that it really is hard to win the Stanley Cup. The Capitals remained mostly healthy last playoffs. Backstrom missed a few games with a broken hand, but besides that mostly 100%. This year Kempny was injured and now Oshie. That's life. Injuries are no excuse. The Caps need to find a way to win this series.

CBG likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

No matter what happens the rest of the way (even if the Caps beat the Canes and then the Isles), I think we can all agree the Capitals should have paid Barry Trotz what he wanted. He has proven he is a great Head Coach with the Islanders, but we already knew he was. Only 4 games in, but it seems like Todd Reirden is not near as good as Trotz when it comes to game plan and adjustments. Extending Trotz and paying him keeps him in DC and away from a division rival like the Islanders. Who knows where the Isles would be with losing Tavares and then not having steady leadership like Trotz? Probably not close to the playoffs this year. At the time, I was fine with letting Trotz walk, but I was clearly wrong, and did not think about the true value he would bring to the Islanders too. They are going to be in the Stanley Cup picture for years to come, and that includes right now.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

with all the rumors they were going to fire Trotz, did he really want to stay? I think the team not only had their mind made up to fire him, but were convinced Reirden may have been equally responsible for their success as Trotz, but were then caught in an awkward situation with winning the Cup. Reminded me a lot of the Dick Vermeil/Mike Martz situation in St. Louis. Vermeil wins the Super Bowl but the team believes Mike Martz is the bigger coaching contributor and forces Vermeil out to promote Martz.

17. The Dark Knight

Yep. That is exactly what happened. Still, he won the Stanley Cup and earned a contract extension with a big pay raise. Hindsight is always 20/20, and the Caps have had a good season so far without him, but in the long run it will be a mistake. I truly believe the Islanders will be good for many years to come with Trotz. And again, I am not blaming the Caps, because I was fine with the move at the time myself.

18. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

personally, i thought it looked dirty. he was headed toward the boards, never at any time was he facing the checker, and got crosschecked from behind sending him head first into the boards.

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I guess Thomas Hickey comes in now.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Weren’t we on this board, the only ones who gave them a chance? Not to win the cup but to have some success and make at least first round of playoffs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.