So- was Sanchez “a bust”?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Saw this ESPN segment during lunch one day and the folks in there had him listed as not a bust.....

I loved the kid and thought Tanny pulled the rug from under him, and I thought that singular Steelers bullshit cheap head hit ended his career.

But, I was shocked to see him listed as non bust!!!

Very curious to see what fellow fans think?

I’m torn.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, he wasn't a bust. What WAS a bust was the way the Jets allowed all the supporting cast around him to go away and not replace them. He was never a guy who could carry a team on his back - a FQB in other words. But he was capable of winning a SB with the right talent around him. The Jets failed him, and then made it worse with the whole Tebow fiasco, followed up by drafting Oh No Geno.

3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The Jets did little to nothing to help Sanchez after the 2010 season, but yes...Sanchez was definitely a bust. He never developed into a cerebral QB that could accurately throw the ball.

He was inaccurate, made terrible decisions with the football and was inconsistent.

To his credit, he played pretty well in the postseason and was an overall good leader. Just didn’t have the goods,

4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Four post-season wins on the road.

I've heard a lot of people downplay this accomplishment for all the usual reasons. And those reasons have merit, no question.

But four is a number that doesn't get swept under the rug too easily. It's bulky.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think stating that the Jets failed Sanchez is a cop out.
    Sanchez failed the Jets.

The Jets gave him everything he needed the first couple years, but ultimately a QB has to grow and progress to be the backbone of the team.
    Guys like Big Ben walked into similarly great situations, and leveraged that scenario to grow into a top QB.
    Sanchez never grew, he actually regressed once the training wheels came off.

I don't think I'd call him a complete bust, but was never a quality starter in this league.
    He also had an innate ability to turn the ball over.

6. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Sanchez was a bust because of where he was drafted. A QB that is drafted in the early 1st round who ends up as a backup (or worse) 6 years later is a bust by any definition of the word.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sanchez was a bust. He was the weak link on both AFC Championship teams, and the moment the team stopped carrying him he collapsed. After we got rid of him, he had a chance to prove the problem was the Jets, not him. But he couldn't get it done with the Eagles, and he's all but played himself out of the league at this point. He isn't even an acceptable backup.

8. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

He went to two conference championships. Would you rather have a Rodney Pete type bust? Todd Marinovich? Leinhart? Carson?

9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

We did let him down talent wise, but he also never really grew out of the issues that plagued him as a young QB. Not naturally accurate and not very good at figuring our what a defense was trying to do. Prone to horrible INT's.

BudJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don’t think of him as a bust. Tanny’s trade up was a good one and he was a serviceable player.

He was over drafted but we’ve had WAY worse. I’m sure he’d be in the top half of Jets draft picks. Ranked 300 in draft picks but Top 10 best...

#10 ConcordeChops, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Rodney Peete was taken in the 6th round. He was not a bust.

I think you mean Andre Ware

12. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

if youre a pro, youre a pro. there are no busts in the nfl. The busts never get in.
    6th round and yet the nfl employed him for 15 years. Busts dont last 15 years. Apparently he did exactly what was expected of him

Acad23 likes this.
  13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Most people think it was the hit on the field that ended his career but it was being drafted by the Jets that really killed it.

Our CS was not set up to groom a young QB with limited starting experience in college... he was never given time to build chemistry with his receivers as they were a revolving door each season.
    Just look at the receiving corps in the years he was starting & who guys were swapped out for...it reads like a horror movie :eek:.

Rex was the worst thing to happen to that kid...I wouldn't call him a bust.

Wahoo, ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  14. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

He had three decent years and he's basically out of the NFL. He was benched last year for a guy who HAD been out of the NFL. He's a bust. A top five QB that doesn't lead your franchise is a bust.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Aside of the playoffs, Sanchez was a bust. Too much spent on to little return.

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Sanchez is a dick

ConcordeChops likes this.
  17. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, he was a bust. There was never a time where he wasn't one of the two or three worst starting QBs in the league. Nice guy; terrible NFL QB.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

If the parameters of a bust are defined by guys like Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Vince Young - then IMO, no. He was not a bust. Those guys were expected to elevate their franchises and make everybody on offense better. I never saw Sanchez in that light. Based on his limited college career my expectations were that if he had a decent supporting cast around him he could perform well and maybe project as a top 10-15 QB. I never expected Sanchez to ever be a top 5 QB. And certainly not even as high as 12 if he had to carry an offense on his shoulders.

4 road playoff wins against Brady, Manning, Rivers and Palmer is not the work of a bust. In 3 of those games he played well and was definitely part of the reason the team won. Granted, he wasn't asked to do too much, but he did what was asked of him and his teams' won.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

10 years ago, so I couldn't give a stuff about him, he was let down but ultimately was not good enough anyway.

20. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Look, any way you spin it. He was a bust, who had a great two years.

101GangGreen101 likes this.