What to do with Darron Lee after Mosley signing.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Mar 31, 2019.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

One problem with all that....
    Williamson is actually really good at football.

KurtTheJetsFan and nicg4360 like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

so is lee, people just love to hate on him for no reason here

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. He isn't very good in coverage, and isn't all that great vs the run. He's overrated imo.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not one Lee hater has provided evidence that hes bad in coverage. I already provided proof that he is.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  5. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

D Lee is playing in the wrong defense for his ability. He is best suited to be a weak side Lb playing in 4-3 defense. He was ill suited for the 3-4 defense, and I think they should move him for a mid draft pick.( that's all you're getting).

Time to admit your mistake, and not keep on player on the roster because you foolishly invested a number 1 pick in him,

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Isn’t that great against the run? In the same way that Ty Montgomery isn’t a factor in the passing game? ;)

Seriously though, Williamson by all accounts is fantastic against the run. He’s got one of the lowest missed tackle percentages of any player since 2013 (4th lowest). He’s had triple digit sacks 3 of his 5 years in the league including a career high 120 this past season. He’s very very good against the run.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think that’s the reason.

Royal Tee likes this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If we keep him we can possibly get a decent comp pick for him in 2021.

It comes down to attitude. If his attitude is a problem now ship him out but if not he will see a lot of time on the field plus he will benefit from Mosley putting him in the right place. This is a passing league and a cover LB is a lot more valuable than a guy like Williamson. I hope Lee will buy in to his new role. But I suspect the issue the Jets have with him is attitude and character not his play.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The post that you quoted was moved from another thread (Why, I don't know as no explanation was given as to why it was moved. I just got a note saying that it had been moved.) I think I may have made it about Lee rather than Williamson, but maybe not. It's been such a crazy week, I don't even remember making the post. That said, earlier this offseason, I read a couple of articles talking about players on the Jets and I think they may have been critical of Williamson, and his play vs the run, but I may be confused on that score. Thanks for setting me straight.

#49 NCJetsfan, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Totally agree.
    Check out this one simple play by Williamson against Jax.
    He easily disengages from the TE's down block, stops the RB cold, and strips out the ball for good measure...

That's one individual not only doing his job very well, but making a big play in the process.
    Just an example of what Williamson was bringing all year.

I remember in the preseason taking notice of him against the Giants, where he did exactly the same thing to Jonathan Stewart in the red zone no less.
    That's the type of tenacity I need to see from an ILB.
    Hard to block, gets behind the LOS, and rarely misses a tackle whether at the line or in open space.

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If you remember at the end of the 2015 season the mantra with the Jets front office was the linebackers were too slow and the Jets needed to infuse speed at that position particularly on the outside. That is why Mac reached ( slightly ) for Lee. And he is fast - very fast. The problem is it took him a while to grasp things and then he was switched to the inside. I still think he is out of position but size is a problem on the outside. I'm hoping a defensive whiz like Williams can find a role designed specifically for a LB like Lee and see what happens. I'm not ready to give up on him and I don't find the sense in dumping him for a fifth round pick at best especially given Mac's track record up to this point in those mid rounds. Best case scenario he thrives and adds an extra dimension and is either re-signed or not resigned and worth a higher comp pick when another team signs him or worse case scenario he flops in this defense and is simply not re-signed.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

At this point, if he is a chip used to get us into the second rd I trade him, otherwise try to maximize his skill set and see what we can get out of him. He maybe good as a dime lber

13. GasedAndConfused

I don't see it that way at all. Lee was hardly a reach. nobody expected him to even be there when the jets picked. On top of that he's always been a ILB for us. he isn't the prototypical 3-4ILB. he's more suited to being a 4-3 MLB but he's played well every season. Not only that but look at the draft. lee is literally better then every player picked after him in the 1st round. I looked back at the draft and i can't make a case for taking anyone over lee. it wasn't a great draft call for the bottom half of the 1st round. The only player i could maybe argue we could have taken instead is will fuller (who was taken with the next pick) but he's always hurt and hasn't played a full year yet and he's playing opposite one of the best WRs in the NFL which helps him as well. No idea if fuller would be as good here and he isn't a pro bowl or true #1 WR so it's not like mac could have taken anyone better. matter of fact in that draft the 2nd round (4) produced more probowlers then the bottom half of the 1st round (1 at pick 17, jets picked at 20)

this is who was picked after lee in order

Will Fuller - solid WR2 but injury prone
    Josh Doctson - bust
    Laquon Treadwell - bust
    william jackson - solid CB2
    Artie Burns - bust
    paxton lynch - bust
    kenny clark - above average DT
    joshua garnett - subpar OG
    Robert Nkemdiche - decent DT
    Vernon Butler - Decent DT
    Germain Ifedi - subpar RT

that was the rest of the 1st round so basically players we could have taken over lee. sometimes a draft class is just underwhelming as is the case here. Is there anyone there you could really say even in hinsdight would be much better to have on the jets then lee over the past 3 years? Lee is clearly having the best career so far out of all those players.

on top of that also in that draft we got robbie anderson as an UDFA (who is better then those 1st round WRs) we got shell at RT in the 5th who is better then Ifedi taken in the 1st , we also got doug middleton who's been a solid depth safety for us as an UDFA. We also traded a 5th rounder for LT clady and a 7th rounder. Didn't work out great but was a good risk for such a low pick. we used that 7th rounder to draft edwards who has been a good punter for us. We also got jordan jenkins at OLB who has been a solid starter for us and honestly is a steal for a 3rd rounder. and peake who is a key special teamer in the 7th. he also traded a late pick (6th rounder IIRC maybe a 7th) for QB fitzpatrick who did take us to a 10-6 season

Now obviously he missed hard in the 2nd with hack and 4th with burris but overall it was a great draft. jet fans focus on the 1 bad hack pick but fail to mention that in 1 draft he got us

BPA ILB who started every eyar and has grown into a top cover LBer in the NFL and an overall above average starter
    an above average OLB
    and solid RT
    starting caliber WR
    special teams ace
    Vet QB who broke jets passing records
    Starting above average punter
    flyer on a LT who wasn't bad but injuries caught up with him
    solid S depth guy

that's a lot to add in one draft upgrade wise but no lets focus on the fact lee hans't made a pro bowl so obviously sucks and hack was a bust and say it was all bad. SMH

Acad23 and Noam like this.
  14. mrjet80

15. mrjet80

I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say. I agree with your original premise that Lee is a decent player. Yes the first round talent that year was a bit underwhelming. My main point with Darren Lee is he should not be traded as I think he has shown enough flashes to finally break out in a Gregg Williams defensive scheme.

He's a good player but statistically hasn't lived up to a first round selection. That doesn't mean " he sucks " as others seem to think. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what he does this year assuming he isn't traded.

Noam likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

ah gotcha. yeah i really think the bets play here is to keep lee this season and then next season resign him and either trade or release williamson.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly. I've been one of his biggest supporters and he's improved each and every one of his 3 season's. So much so where he rated as one of if not the best coverage LB last year within the entire league. Which is why we drafted him to begin with.

Add a pass rushing OLB Allen or Bosa, and if Darron Lee improves for the 4th consecutive season come this year and playing alongside of C.J Mosely? He'll impact for sure.

Mosley/Williamson/Lee is an awesome problem to have @ IMLB and with an aggressive Williams it could be great to see unfold.

#57 DefenseWinsChampionships, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Royal Tee and Mogriffjr like this.
  18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

He's improving...isn't that the fukn point?

Demario Davis
    Vilma
    Farrior..

You have to hold on to the guys who are improving.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well, no.

Much of our fan base expected Ray Lewis out the gates as a rookie. Others labeled him too small from day one. Some were even agreeing with Bart Scott's childish remarks questioning the kids heart. Bush league; ppl failed to realize Bart loud mouth Scott never even became a starting LB not until his 4th-5th year. Hah. And some bit the bait anything for a meal ticket. And sided with Bart Scott like D.Lee ain't improving every. single. Year. 3 consecutive. Like damn give the kid a break he's Uber talented and fast learning he's going to become a stud surrounded by so much talent ala his Ohio State days can't take his pure athleticism away from him. You just can't. Vilma you used a great example. Every bit as gifted. Similar combine numbers it's scary. I personally love the kid heading into 4th year and hope we don't trade him away. Rather see him flourish alongside Allen/Bosa and Mosley, beat out Williamson and force Macc's hand.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

All good. I got kind of confused myself.

I can’t imagine anyone being critical of his run defense especially before this season. He’s been one of the best in the league at stopping it.

I wish he could be better in coverage but then again I guess that’s why we have him for the price we have him at. Still a huge asset that’s going to benefit greatly by playing with Mosley, for williams.

NCJetsfan likes this.