3 mock draft scenarios with trades

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Martin is the man, Apr 13, 2019.

?

Which draft would be your preference?

1. Option 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Option 2

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Option 3

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. None (please explain below)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Martin is the man

This whole scenario is based off the following Trade:

Darron Lee to Cleveland for their 3rd pick.

Darron lee has lost his role in this defense which decreases his value. But he was one of the top 10 coverage line backers in the NFL last year. Cleveland is looking to make a run and they’ve lost Jamie collins and peppers (who played a thumper safety role). Lee fills this need, returns to the state of Ohio where he won a national championship, and would be a killer complement to schobert. Remember dante Fowler never had more then 8 sacks in a season and the jaguars receiver a 3rd and a 5th in return so a 3rd for lee is reasonable. Other teams who would have interest in lee would include Cincinnati and Tampa but I feel the browns make the best offer.

Option 1: no trades

#3 1st Josh allen OLB Kentucky
    #67 3rd Connor McGovern or best C avail able
    #80 3rd: Amani Oruwariye CB Penn State
    #93 3rd Joe Jackson OLB Miami
    #105 4th Anthony Johnson WR Buffalo
    #196 6th TERRONNE PRESCOD G NC State
    #217 7th Tyler Roemer OT San Diego State

Option 2: Trade #67 #94 and a 2020 3rd to Oakland for #35. Oakland had 3 1st round picks in the second they see value in adding more depth then high draft picks

#3 1st: Josh allen OLB Kentucky
    #35 2nd: Eric McCoy C Texas A&M
    #105 4th: Anthony Johnson WR Buffalo
    #196 6th: TERRONNE PRESCOD G NC State
    #217 7th: Tyler Roemer OT San Diego State

Option 3: trade #3 to Washington for #15 #46 and a 2020 1st so Washington can jump Oakland TB and the Giants for a WB of choice

#15 1st: Brian Burns OLB Florida State
    #46 2nd: Elgton Jenkins C Miss St
    #67 3rd: Jachai Polite OLB Florida
    #93 3rd: Yodny Cajuste OT WV
    #105 4th Anthony Johnson WR Buffalo
    #196 6th TERRONNE PRESCOD G NC State
    #217 7th Ricky Walker, NT, Virginia Tech

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First, let me say I appreciate creative thinking and trying to think of a way we can improve the team by moving Lee. The thing is that we're not going to be able to fix all our holes this year anyway, and I think trading Lee is not only not necessary, but could be a big mistake. I do like that you add either Allen or Burns with your first pick and the best C available with the 2nd pick. For me, your drafts go pretty much awry after your second pick. I love Allen and Burns, and like McCoy and Jenkins, and think Cajuste and Anthony Johnson have some potential.

There are several reasons I do not like these drafts. One, I don't think Lee should be traded. Just because he won't start doesn't mean that he can't make a big contribution with G. Williams as is DC. Two, I don't think the Jets would get a 3 for him. Even with his off field problems, Fowler made the Rams trade a 3 and a 5 for him because he plays an important position, is young, and the Rams were/are a contender. Lee does not play a premium or important position.

Three, is the players and/or positions you selected. At this point I'm not that high on Oruwariye. I need to watch more video of him but the scouting reports aren't very flattering, and after reading them, I'm having a hard time understanding why he is rated so highly. This is from his nfl.com draft profile:

Again, I could change my mind after watching a lot more video on him, but at this point there are other CBs I like more. #s 3-8 on that list (that I've bolded) really concern me. The CBs I like better are David Long of Michigan and Isaiah Johnson of Houston.

I think there are better players/positions the Jets could draft with their additional or 6th-7th round picks. I think scenario #2 is a waste because this isn't the year to be drafting multiple OL. In an ideal world, it would be so that we could solidify the OL for Sam. This isn't an ideal world however, and in reality it's not a good draft for OL I don't think there will be any OL worth using a pick on after the 4th round. Next year is going to be a very strong and deep draft for OL. Unfortunately, we're just gonna have to wait until next year to finish fixing the OL. Also, why are you so high on Terrone Prescod that you capitalize his name? He doesn't seem like he's even a very good developmental prospect.

Depending upon who is there in the 6th and 7th rounds, I'd like the Jets to add a TE who is a really good blocker that can also catch like Foster Moreau, a power or short-yardage RB, a real NT like Olive Sagapolu or good STers. Ricky Walker is nothing special and is a 3 Technique player, not an NT.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I echo NC's comment about appreciating creative thinking, as well as doing a lot of good research. That I don't entirely agree with your conclusions doesn't diminish my appreciation for your efforts.

As to your ideas, gain, I also question trading Lee right now, If somehow they did get offered a 3rd though I would grab it, so going with that, let me comment on the drafts you base on this trade.

I like taking Josh Allen with the 1st pick, unless we're offered a king's ransom to trade down, and I would prefer that trade would still leave us in the top 10. To agree to trade with the Skins I would need a LOT more than just their middling 2nd and next year's first. At a minimum I would want this year's 3rd also or next year's 2nd. So Draft #3 doesn't work for me. But I do like the "O"-leaning flavor of all of your picks.

4. Martin is the man

Thanks so much for your input!

I agree that this isn’t a great o-line draft and we should neglect it in favor of next year, however Eric McCoy, Garrett Bradbury, and Jenkins are NFL starters and are plug and play, we must get one! That’s why option 2 is my preference.

I understand your concerns with Oruwariye but I see him as a big bodied CB who will accel in a press man aggressive scheme and can develop into a strong #2 complement to Johnson.

You certainly are far more educated in late round drafting then I am. Many of my late picks were more filler then deeply researched. I love foster Moreau but I doubt he’ll be there in the 6th. Terrone Prescott is all capitalized because I copied and pasted his name and was to lazy to change it back, lol. However, I love him as a prospect! He was a 1st team all American on PFF and is both a strong pass blocker and run blocker.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm pretty convinced the Cardinals aren't taking KM and he might well slide. That means they may take either Q or Bosa or trade out. I can also see SF trading out. If both Q and Bosa are gone I think you have to take Josh Allen. I think that's pretty likely.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

If we really end up drafting Q I'm going to be very unhappy. Now... that doesn't mean that maybe it'll somehow end up working out smashingly and he really is the next Aaron Donald but I'm going to have a very bad attitude about it until it actually succeeds.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, the whole Cards/Kyle thing looks like complete BS and a smokescreen to trick dumbass Gruden into trading up. I hope they take Quinnen or Bosa. As against drafting a DT as I am, the idea of letting some other team get Ed Oliver just reeks of something that will make me look back on this draft with regret, I think he'll end up being the best player to come out in '19.

That said, I won't cry if we take Allen or one of the OTs.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah that would make me smash the TV. The guy does not fit the defense as its currently configured. It would be a waste of a high pick and a square peg in Williams round defense. If Bosa and Allen are gone I hope there are some trade options at that point and the Jets could get Brian Burns.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Drafting based on scheme alone is daft.

Draft great players

If they're truly great players, they aren't one-trick ponies.

Sure Bosa and Allen are needed edge rushers. . At the same time a beast trio of Leo Williams, Ed Oliver and C.J. Mosley constantly pressuring the pocket interior (let alone run-stuffing) wouldn't be bad, . hardly..

Oliver was everyone's early-season #1 prior to getting dinged-up and having that late season sideline dust-up w/his coach (who cares at this point?).

#9 joe, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

On a 'general side note':

If our rebuild will really take this draft plus a few more to become truly competitive, it would be best to draft the mega-stars that will demand a huge 2nd contract as late in the re-build as possible. In the next 2-4 yrs we already have Leo, Sam, Adams, Maye, and possibly Bell and Mosley looking for huge jack. Why add another big name or two to that list before we have to?

By this take, we should fill out the roster now by trading down and get our 'nick bosa' in the 2021 draft to give us a few more years of cap breathing room just when we're winning super bowls and need it the most!

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Williams doesn't get to the QB much and Mosley in more in the box. That is why Bosa or Allen would make more sense. They tried to upgrade the OLB with the Barr signing but he went back to Minny. If they would have gotten him them drafting DT Williams makes more sense.

regan62072 likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You don’t get to choose when your bosa is available. You take what’s available when it is available.

JETS1116 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets are in a good spot. Oliver might be the "OBJ" of defensive lineman. He is such a freak of nature, just a shame he is a little undersized. I wouldn't be mad if we traded down and took him.

K'OB and abyzmul like this.
  14. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Freak doesn’t mean much to me. Vernon Gholston was a freak. Just saying.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Gholston wasn't a football player. Oliver has a nasty demeanor and a crazy motor to go along.