What to do with Darron Lee after Mosley signing.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Mar 31, 2019.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

In what way did we look better without him?

More so in the games versus Green Bay and the Pats as we capitulated points and yardage, if anything it showed the opposite and we missed him greatly.

As for the picks ramped his rating up wtf man, damned if you do damned if you don't lol

Don't get me wrong he still has a lot of improvement too do but he has done so season on season so far.

#21 K'OB, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Noam and Mogriffjr like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Williamson isn't good in that department. It's not about being a better blitzer, I'm talking coverage. Today's NFL it is hard to find linebackers that can cover and cover well. Lee's value to this team IMO is better then a 5th round pick.

Luvu and Hewitt cannot cover ground like Lee can. You can easily carve a role for him. Luvu is also a outside linebacker.

Jets won't get good value for Lee. And to me trading a young athletic linebacker with potential for a late round pick is a straight up SOJ move.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Find something to contradict my statements.

Last year, he was top 5 in coverage for linebackers. Dude Calvin Pryor did nothing on the field. Lee contributed last year. Name 5 better linebackers in coverage from last year.

You won't find anything that suggests Lee was bad in coverage last year. He improved and trading him for a late round pick is a stupid move.

If his attitude is REALLY an issue then ship him out.

jonnyd likes this.
  4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I don't get the hate for Lee from some fans...has he lived up to his 1st round draft spot, absolutely not, but he has shown some improvement in his game .
    I don't hate the idea of keeping him or sending him packing but I wouldn't just let him go for a 5th or later pick just to cut bait... in my opinion it just doesn't make sense.

If we could include him as part of a package to get into the 2nd round that would be fine with me, but if not, I say we keep him around and see what he shows with a better coaching staff... if he walks next season we would probably get a higher compensatory pick than we would in a trade , anyway (not really sure how that stuff works).

My point is I just don't see the logic in letting him go just to let him go... he can be used for depth for a season and we say goodbye next year.

5. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Lee is horrible.
    Bad player
    Bad attitude
    Bad pick
    Funny that he took Jets stuff off his twitter account as someone posted. As if he is being wronged by the Jets for his bad play and suspension. We shouldn't have signed a 4X pro bowler to improve the team because of him.

Include him to get a 2nd? Are you kidding me, we will be lucky to get a 5 for him, probably will get a 6 or 7 if anything

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Trading a player that can cover as well as he does while making peanuts would be stupid anyway so I guess we don’t have to worry about what we’ll get in return.

Bottom line is the Lee outrage has always been embellished and that hasn’t changed. He was drafted to play a certain position in a Todd Bowles defense and the skills that made him a consensus first round talent pre-draft didn’t fit that mold. Bailing on him before Williams even gets the chance to work with him makes no sense and would be indicative of a dumb front office unless it’s an offer they can’t refuse.

Noam, stinkyB, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

I am disappointed in him due to his suspension but I hope he returns a Jet for his 4th year. I've always been a big supporter of Lee and he was not only drafted mainly due to his athletic ability and pass coverage potential but has also improved every season to the point of ranking last year as one of, if not the best coverage LB.

He's not great at the point of attack against the run but he's talented and with guys like Leonard Williams, C.J Mosley, Avery Williamson, Darron Lee, Trumaine Johnston, Marcus Maye, Jamal Adams plus one or Nick Bosa/Josh Allen and man pound for pound we're suddenly one of the most talented defenses out there.

Lee when surrounded by this type of talent and now a 4th year player under an attacking coach in Williams and he can really become a game changing IMLB especially in coverage and hopefully unleashed within some exotic blitz packages.

Let him walk in free agency if he doesn't impact but unless it's for a promising O-Lineman I rather not trade Lee for a draft pick. You can never have enough LB's and Lee is way too talented to quit on before both pairing him alongside a stud pass rusher (#3) and playing within an attacking Williams led defense.

8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I would much rather see if Lee can thrive in Williams' system and let him walk if he cant vurses getting a 6th round pick for him. Plus he makes no money.

stinkyB and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Beside this, what don't you like about him? ;)

Noam, NYJetsO12 and rinvesto like this.
  10. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty negative fan (i would argue for good reason)

But we won't get value for Lee

If we can keep him clean, he can be a good player.

His speed is an asset.

Due to his size, I don't see him ever being a point of attack guy. Keep him clean and let's see what happens.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards keeping lee this year and giving him a new contract and either cutting or trading williamson after this season. here is why

1) always good to have depth cause injuries. So having an extra starting caliber ILB who is one of the top ILBs in coverage in the NFL for only 3.1 mil this season is a good luxury to have

2) any pick we get for lee, isn't going to be as good as lee so the only reason to move him is to save money really and money doens't win games

3) williamson will be 28 next year, lee will only be 25. meaning lee can be here for another 5-6 years in his prime while williamson has only 2-3 years of his prime left

4) cutting williamson will save us 6.5 mil in 2020 which is more then enough to sign lee so no extra cost to the team (2020 offseason is going to be tight too for us. only enough room to resign robbie, williams, lee (by cutting williamson) and room to add 1 good player and that's it)

5) williamsons contract expires in 2021 (2020 is the last season) which creates a hole. locking in lee along with mosley has us set at ILB for the next 5 years at minimum

6) lee compliments mosely better and should improve more working with mosley.

101GangGreen101 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. K'OB

All good bar making sure he keeps off the pot.

I like Lee as a player but the aforementioned alleged party animal popped out and was caught, longer bans in the offing if caught again and no doubt he will be if he doesn't change.

13. GasedAndConfused

to be fair though he was 21 his rookie season. i mean 21 is still a kid. hopefullly he's matured a bit since then and having a guy like mosley as a locker room leader and adams should have a positive effect on lee

14. K'OB

He was done for drugs last season, his third season was he not?

15. GasedAndConfused

yes but 23 is still young. plus with adams emerging as a leader and now mosley who is a leader and strikes me as a no nonsense lets get shit done kind of guy, (and is someone lee can look up to at his position) I think it'll have a good effect on lee and he will mature. As long as he doens't get popped again i can't complaint

K'OB likes this.
  16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

why would lee re-sign with the jets? that is why you trade him. the odds of re-signing him are slim

17. NCJetsfan

If he played well, and we told him that we were going to release Williamson, and the starting position opposite Mosley was his, why wouldn't he, especially if he likes playing for G. Williams and sees that the Jets are going to be a playoff team.

18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

he wouldnt because the jets just demoted him

i would rather take the guarantee of a pick, than take a chance that lee wont go to the highest bidder in FA

19. NCJetsfan

Of course, Lee might not see it that way, but in effect, he demoted himself with his drug suspension. Also, if the team had the chance to add an All Pro ILB and didn't, they wouldn't take winning very seriously. Unless he has a selfish or fragile ego, he ought to come to camp want to learn from Mosley, and work his butt off to beat out Williamson.

I understand wanting to get a pick for Lee, but imo a 4th round pick or lower is not worth it. That would just set up Mac as a pushover in trades. Lee could easily have more value to the Jets in just one season than that lower round pick. Williamson or even Mosley (heaven forbid!) could go down early with a season-ending injury. We'd be glad to have Lee then.

20. GasedAndConfused

based on what?