The Clowney/Clark Trade Market Watch

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Snatch Catch, Apr 15, 2019.

?

Assuming the cost did not involve a 1st rounder...

Poll closed Apr 22, 2019.
  1. I would love to trade for either one

4.2%
  2. I would trade for either but prefer Clowney

29.2%
  3. I would trade for either but prefer Clark

8.3%
  4. I would only trade for Clowney

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I would only trade for Clark

8.3%
  6. I absolutely do not want either guy in a trade

50.0%
  1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

We've already talked about trading for Clowney or Clark here and there, but it seems like their situations are starting to come to a head. They have until July 15th to sign, but with the draft coming up in 11 days and SEA specifically having to deal with Wilson by today, it seems we'll have an idea soon about their true availability. Could one of these guys be Mac's preferred route to go with his leftover money? Is he specifically waiting to see what happens with these two?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...eon-Clowney-not-slated-to-attend-13767078.php

There has been smoke around the Eagles being interested in Clowney with all the recent restructuring they've done to free up nearly $30M in cap space.

As for Clark...

https://fansided.com/2019/04/09/frank-clark-trade-rumors-seahawks/

Obviously the Jets don't have a 2nd this year, but the Niners traded a 2020 2nd for Ford. Also, any trade down scenario for the Jets could land them the capital needed to make a deal for either guy while still retaining a 1st round pick this year and gaining additional future draft assets.

There are red flags with both guys, Clowney and his overrated/takes plays off/injury rep and Clark with his legal problems back in college. Would you make the move for either guy assuming the compensation was less than a 1st rounder?

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Who knows. But good lord would an outside pass rush of Clowney/Allen be fierce. One could only dream i just hope we draft either Bosa or Allen and our pick becomes a dominant game changer. Another pass rusher alongside our soon to be rookie would be nuts i can't even get my hopes up but yes I would love to trade for Clowney (but not with our 1st round pick). I highly doubt we have enough ammo to pull off a trade for him though.

Mr mittens likes this.
  3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Just swap 1sts with Seattle for Ford. Get a 13 sack player and still have a 1st for someone else.

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Swapping picks would be a terrible idea. It would be a net 1400 value or equal to giving up the 8th pick in the draft for Clark according to the trade value chart.

If you want to trade for Clark and trade down we could trade down just a few spots and acquire a 2nd or 3rd roundee for Clark and more plus still pick 15 or so spots ahead of Seattle in round one.

#4 Noam, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  5. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

If the Jets want to trade for a three-down rusher, this seems like the ideal move. I've watched a lot of Seattle games, and Clark is very good. Plays through injuries and still produces. Also, not a bad locker room presence (does his work and isn't a loudmouth). He'd probably fit in nicely with the Jets. That said, all things being equal, I'd rather that the Jets trade down and grab some talent for the OL (C, LT).

Noam likes this.
  6. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Put me down for Clowney.

Mr mittens likes this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The big question is, can we really afford to pay either Clowney or Clark.
    We're sitting at $20 million in cap space with over $9 million needed for draft picks. We could back load the deal but that will hurt going forward.
    I doubt we're going to be in the market for either.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You can move some money around to make room. Leo, Beachum and Winters all have 0 guarateed dollars left on their deals so you can move some money into next year and sign them to "extensions" to spread out the cap hit. All in all though, I don't see how we can afford Clowney after that Lawrence deal and Clark will be looking for at least $15 mil a year annually. It's possible, but not probably.

Trading for Clowney sure would solve a lot of problems though... opens up the draft to almost any possibility.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Not worth it, you might as well just draft Josh Allen. Seattle would have to give us next year's first and a second this year on top of that for me to even pick up the phone. Dropping all the way to 21. I don't like that at all when you have a beast pass rusher waiting to be drafted.

I voted absolutely not. These guys aren't top notch. They are good, but again we can draft an edge and have him on cheap salary for 5 years. Those dudes we have to pay right away.

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You can sign them without the "extensions" but that still leaves too many big $ contracts on the books going forward.
    The question is, do you go all in with the expectation of a 2021 lockout and completely restructured cap likely going forward after that.

11. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Why trade for a pass rusher we would need to sign to a big deal when we can draft one at 3 and have him on the cheap for up to 5 yrs... I'll take a hard pass on that idea.

Leicester Jet and Sam Hammer like this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

I would love a Clowney/Allen pass rush. Omg. From the outside? Could you imagine. I couldn't. But you're right I agree. Can't give up too much during a trade with Bosa/Allen for the takings. I'm still frustrated we couldn't land Anthony Barr to pair alongside an Allen/Bosa. We had a chance for a FA OLB but it's much different talking trade. I'm not willing to pass on Bosa or Allen and trade away our 1st.

I agree. Go out and draft that Franchise pass rusher. We're blessed to be at 3 during a loaded pass rushing class with two studs waiting to be selected top 3. At a position of need? I'm excited.

Jersey Joe 67 likes this.
  13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I’m Tim Tebow and I approve of this message

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

I just hope Josh Allen is the SEC animal everyone says he is. I think he's the pick with Murray Bosa 1-2. Because all of last year we spoke of Free Agent pass rushers from Clowney to even Fowler etc and also Barr we couldn't land one. I hate how Abe was my last favorite pass rusher although Ellis was awesome. This Josh Allen kid seems pretty special.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Rumor on Twitter is 9ers are taking Williams. Very possible that we have to choose bosa/Allen

stinkyB and themorey like this.
  16. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0190416-6zcyqnouibaytgq2wvocqwl2w4-story.html

Interesting to see how this plays out with Wilson's new mega deal.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

While I'm mostly on board for taking a young stud pass rusher at #3...... if they could trade down, use the lower 1st pick on the best OL available, then trade the aquired pick for Frank Clark, that could really be a team changer

CotcheryFan likes this.
  18. I agree completely except id use the presumed additional day 2 picks on OL where the value is much better.Center early..tackle/guard in 3rd

1st round pick we look for a playmaker.Either side of the ball. WR/Edge/TE/DB. Get an athlete who can impact the overall talent level & make explosive plays.

White/Burns/Fant/Greedy/Metcalf All under consideration

#18 KurtTheJetsFan, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I love how people are always so against drafting OL in first round.

You think they would remember the last time we did it, actually 2 in the same year, they anchored our online for a decade.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

For Clark . Seattle wants more draft picks , and I don't think having the same amount of picks is going to cut it. I see a team like the Colts, and maybe the Raiders most likely in position to trade an early second round pick to get Clark from Seattle.

If Seattle looking at minimum a second round pick , giving up a second round next year isn't going to cut it. The Jets would have to give up next year number 1 pick.( which is equivalent to this year two) .