Jets Sign Montgomery

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, Apr 10, 2019.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Let's not forget what he did for Lee. Had him running like a beast.....

stinkyB likes this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Nice player. . Gase likes these tall, fast RB pass-catching types (Kenyon Drake, Kelen Ballage in Miami and now Montgomery).

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that anyone is dreaming if they think we could get a draft pick for Cannon.

twown, NYJalltheway and Noam like this.
  4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Good no risk signing.

5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

You're right. I didn't really think about it in that light.

Yeah it just worries me if he'll be a good locker room guy or not. I remember very distinctly in that game after he fumbled, nobody went over to him to keep his head up. It wasn't like it was no big deal.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I very well might be underestimating Montgomery but he looks a lot like a slightly older McGuire. Both are very efficient pass catchers. But Montomery has been a more efficient runner who is supposed to be a patient runner in the style of Bell who has worked well in a zone blocking scheme making him a very good fit for the Jets and Pollack. Montgomery is not as good in pass blocking as McGuure.

It seems that Montgomery mostly does everything McGuire does at a minimum salary he is great insurance and competition. My instincts are still that Montgomery was not signed to be the number 2 back but rather to push McGuire and be insurance in case he does not develop. But, I am less inclined to believe this is a Rawls training camp depth type signing.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Please make him change his number. Broke in as a WR but has persisted with 88 which is idiotic for an RB. Just looks weird.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Truly, we can find absolutely anything to have a moan at.

:rolleyes:

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think you’re overstating what McGuire can do. Montgomery is a much better pass catcher by the numbers (not even close before this past season which was a waste) and as you said, a better runner than McGuire too. No doubt in my mind he was brought here to be the 2. McGuire doesn’t do anything all that well, whereas Montgomery does a little of everything pretty well. Both top out as 2s, but Montgomery is the better option.

FJF likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

For those interested, Montgomery's contract is $895,000 .The only guaranteed money is a $90,000 signing bonus.

GasedAndConfused and abyzmul like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

With all the Jets needs, and all the FA resources already invested in it, there is no reason to draft a running back in any round this year... right?

12. TonyFtLaud

Could waive Cannon and/or Montgomery. If the opportunity to improve the roster presents itself, you improve the roster. At least successful teams do.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i don't see a reason personally. bell is the bell cow and should be for the next 4 years at least. so all we need is depth and not an upgrade for a while. ty is a good 1 year pick up for sure. maguire is solid and more then good enough to be a RB3. cannon only stays around for special teams maybe. hard to carry 4 RBs unless we dont' carry a FB and even then 4 TEs is more likely then 4 RBs

14. NCJetsfan

How about if Darrell Henderson falls to the 4th round or Tony Pollard is there in the 6th? Montgomery is only signed to a one-year deal, and could get beaten out in TC. Henderson is a playmaker and a HR threat. Pollard is an excellent returner and versatile RB/gadget player. They'd have either of them for 4 years or more instead of just one, and one or both could be better than Montgomery. It's less, likely, since the Jets would only save around $780k, but they could also need the cap space if they traded for Clark or Clowney.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Fair enough but RB is one of the deepest and strongest positions now on the roster. I understand you can always upgrade but id draft 4 corners or 4 offensive linemen before I took 1 RB.

There are only so many draft picks that can be had. Drafting a RB to get a razor thin upgrade at backup RB doesn’t seem like a smart allocation of resources when you have glaring needs elsewhere

K'OB likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

In general, this is a good point, but just because we have glaring needs elsewhere doesn't mean that there will be a quality player that will fix or upgrade that need at any one point in the draft. This is not a good year for OL. I'm not sure that there will be an OL worth using a draft pick on after the 4th round. It's not that great a draft for CBs, either. There could be a RB however that could help us long term that is available in the 6th round. While not likely, it is possible. Conversely, next year is supposed to be a deep and great draft for OL. Why reach for an OL this year just because we have a need, when chances are that player won't develop and help us anyway, when we can wait a year and get better OL? Remember also that the draft isn't as much about needs (that's what FA is for) as it is upgrading the talent level of the team. There has to be balance, but in the last 2-3 rounds of the draft I'm taking the most talented player I can regardless of what position he plays, unless there's a player at a position of need that's rated only a little lower.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i mean if pollard is there in the 6th or 7th sure. He's more like montgomery anyway, but a true RB or WR but a good gadget guy and a good returner so he solves the return problem. also means he'll be really cheap. a 6th round pick should get a 4 year contract with an average of about 650k a year but i woldn't draft a RB before the 6th round and i wouldn't draft a RB that wasn't a returner

18. TonyFtLaud

I agree but it's all dependant on how the draft falls. If you find yourself in round 4 with a RB you believe can improve your roster, do you pass for a CB or OL who you hope can play a year or two down the line?
    Are you confident that the combination of Montgomery and McGuire can carry the offense if Bell is injured?
    RB may be the only position where you can find a potential day 1 starter outside of rounds 1&2. Other positions would be much more of an outlier.
    And let's be honest, you would be bitching like crazy if Mac drafted CBs with the late 3rd,4th,6th and 7th pick

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Based on Mac historical approach to the draft, RB or not, is highly dependent on how the chips fall against the Jets board. If the available RB is significantly higher in the Jets rating than other available positions, he most likely will get the call. Then the bottom of the RB roster gets the boot. If the ranking is close, position of bigger need wins. One could argue that, more often than not, the Jets board ranking and position of need are rarely in synch.

NCJetsfan, FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like how the Jets are at least attempting to improve the offense. Having more weapons could make this exciting offense. Won't know for sure until midseason how Gase is having an impact.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.