Entirely Hypothetical: Darnold or Mayfield?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Apr 10, 2019.

?

Trade Darnold for Mayfield?

1. Yes

8.0%
  2. No

92.0%
  1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Don't discount the supporting casts for both QBs last year, which also favored Mayfield. I agree with others that Darnold has the higher ceiling whereas Baker needs a stepladder to reach the ceiling (i kid). Besides, whatever happens with Mayfield (or Rosen, Allen or Jackson) will be completely irrelevant if Darnold becomes our FQB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I liked Mayfield more coming out, think he may be better for the next 2 years, but hopefully after that it is Darnold. At this point, I see no reason to make the trade though, as these guys proved they were the best two QBs in the draft last year and the difference wasn't that much when you consider schedule/supporting cast.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  3. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

NYC is tough city to play in, particularly when you lose. I don't think Mayfield has the makeup to face the kind of heat that sort of criticism would bring. If the Browns don't come out flying and OBJ starts in on his usual we'll probably get a better measure of his ability to handle that sort of thing.

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

All Mayfield proved last year was that he was the most NFL ready QB coming out of the draft. Still believe Darnold will have an amazing career here in New York.

FJF and westiedog1 like this.
  5. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Darnold proved his worth to me when he didnt play. I seen how bad our veteran QB looked behind our oline. Darnold was making the oline and offense look decent, in reality it wasnt.

Darnolds ability to go off script, and extend plays is the key to his success. His mobility and able to throw guys open is under rated. So I think Darnolds future is bright, but dont think for a second personnel doesnt matter.

Overall Baker has the better overall Oline, Rb, and WRs. I know we have Bell but they have Chubb, Landry, and OBJ. TEs are squash with a slight edge to Herndon imo. So if you are looking at #s Baker will have better #s.

I finally I dont like Baker in the news for not shaking hands, and going back and forth with radio hosts... So I will take Sam D and his skill and potential.

Royal Tee and Brook! like this.
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Darnold is more talented and 2 years younger, not trading him for any QB.

Royal Tee likes this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Like others, I believe Darnold has a high ceiling, so I’d stick with him. I’ll just enjoy watching this new crop of QB’s take over from the old guard. Watching mobile QB’s seems to make the game more enjoyable for me.

8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

That is a good point. I love Mayfield the player. I am not in love with his ongoing spat with Colin Cowherd and the like. He seems bothered by everything and that can be annoying as a fan. I think guys like him use it to motivate themselves. (If I were a player, I would but not as publicly as he has)

9. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

No way would I trade Darnold for Mayfield. Darnold is almost 3 years younger and didn't have half the talent around him last season that Mayfield had.

10. PennyandtheJets

This in my opinion is what will be the deciding factor for Darnold. His mobility is nice, but it is his ability to avoid sacks move in or out of the pocket off schedule and make throws down the field. He does this very well. If he can continue to build, he will be very hard to defend.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I view mobility as the total package, not the Josh Allen variety. Darnolds ability to feel pressure in that ever collapsing “pocket” (and make plays in speight of it) is special. I think it’s what will set him apart from his peers.

I can only imagine what he might do with time.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Mayfield reached his potential in his last year in college. We saw the best of him last year. Darnold is just getting started.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If we had Mayfield, I'd be happy, but I sure wouldn't trade Darnold for him after seeing how Sam performed under terrible conditions. To me, this is like asking if I would've traded Elway for Marino. As great as Marino was, I wouldn't have done it. I'm not saying that Darnold is as good as Elway, but I see some similarities between them, like a strong arm, and the ability to go off the script and make plays. It remains to be seen if Sam can succeed like Elway did, but much of that depends on the things around him like players and coaching.

At the draft I had them rated:

1. Rosen
    2. Mayfield
    3. Darnold

But this was based mainly on the limited playing time of Darnold and questions about his being able to fix his mechanics, but since he's proven himself in live action, I would agree with those who had him rated #1.

Keep Sam and build up around him, and don't look back.

westiedog1 and Sam Hammer like this.
  14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well if you don't want to go back to sleep stop attacking posters like that. If you like a thread and want to contribute, fine. If not, no need to attack the poster. If you think there is a trolling situation just report it an move on. Clear?

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He also had way more talent around him than any of the other top QB's with the possible exception of Jackson.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rosen
    Darnold
    Jackson

Those were the 3 I wanted on the Jets.

Mayfield with the NY Media would be a nightmare. I feel Jackson and Darnold in the long run will be better.

Rosen by far had the worst situation coming in.

17. PennyandtheJets

Browns had talent on offense, but it wasn't like they were completely loaded. Jarvis landry was their #1 WR. The rest of their receiving core was kinda meh. Njoku still hasn't lived up to his potential/hype. He was about as good as Herndon production wise if my memory still works.

I will agree though that Mayfield had way better RBs and OLine though.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He also had some monster games against the worst defensive teams in the league that really padded his stats. The only big game he had against a team not in the bottom 7 on D was Carolina. Carolina had just lost 4 in a row when they went into Cleveland late and were out of the playoff hunt. They ended up stopping their losing streak at 7 when NO played their 2nd string the last game of the season. Njoku was more productive than Herndon last year. Herndon had about the same year Njoku had the year before as a rookie. We should only hope he continues on the same trajectory as Njoku. I think both of them are going to be really good for a long time.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  19. PennyandtheJets

To be fair, Darnold's best games of the year were vs the Packers and Texans and they both stunk vs the pass. All your points are valid though.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Browns had far more talent than the Jets, better coaching and a much easier schedule than the Jets.

I think Mayfield can be a good QB and have a nice long career. I think Darnold can be a great QB though.