o-line rebuild

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mr nyjet, Mar 31, 2019.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Say what? From everything I have seen and read, Qvale has been worthless the last 2 years. As I earlier posted, he got knocked flat on his butt during a preseason game last year, something you rarely see. Why resign someone who you know cannot do the job if/when needed? Why don't we bring back Clyde Gates or Vernon Gholston as " depth signing?" "Depth" should imply some ability, not filling a roster.

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I didn’t mean OK as in average I meant OK as a good signing compared to the others. The other OL signings were kinda up there and pretty average.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

exactly! i saw guys playing in the aaf that are better than qvale.
    memphis had a center that looked decent and their right tackle was better than qvale.
    the chiefs have already signed a corner, and another team signed a wideout.
    orlando has charles johnson, a wideout who could be brought back for a look see by the new coaching staff.
    same for o-line guys.

tomdeb likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Do we have enough $? I've lost track..I know A Barr backed out of his mega deal so maybe we do

Gotta sign some rookies and possibly fallouts from upcoming TCs

5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Oh, well clearly he got knocked over in 1 preseason game, so that settles it. He'll never be able to be a backup and will always suck. End of story.

You said Qvale was part of rebuilding the oline. He's not, he a bottom of the roster player that might not even make the opening day roster. It's the least of my concerns. I'm much more worried about who will START at center.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I guess you did not read my last post when I wrote that Qvale has been worthless the last 2 years, not just 1 preseason game. You also did not read all the other posters who laughed at your post that Qvale was a "depth signing" (kiddie pool depth, etc. remember). As for who is starting at center, the position you are so "worried" about, if our idiot GM had drafted more than 2 OL in the past 4 years (and both in round 5), we might not be so worried about the OL. But, hey, he drafted C. Hackenberg, A. Stewart, C. Hansen, D. Smith, D. Lee, with the high picks, right? I also like how you first claim Qvale is a "depth signing," and then in the next post admit he might not make the roster. That is real "depth"--signing guys like Qvale (who got a $650,000 bonus this year to resign) who might not make the roster. And apparently you like/prefer OL who get knocked on their ass. LOL!

7. Sam Hammer

Dude, what do you think depth signings are?? They are backup caliber players as best. Cool your jets, buddy. This isn't the end of the world. If we don't get a starting caliber center then that will be a major problem, not a guy making almost league minimum to compete for a bottom of the roster spot.

Many players suck for 2 years and then find themselves. He's a UDFA and is probably getting his last chance to show something this summer. I don't give a crap about him. If he fails, he's gone. Claiming that he's part of the oline rebuild is silly. He's not.

#47 Sam Hammer, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Attackett, BacktoQueens and FJF like this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Uh, "Dude," (as you put) you missed the point (again). The whole point is/was that our idiot GM has only drafted 2 offensive linemen the last 4 years, and both in round 5. The Patriots by contrast have drafted 8 OL the past 4 years. I never claimed that I viewed Qvale as part of an OL rebuild--my point was the opposite-- McCagnan (not me) relies on guys like this, instead of using draft picks on the OL, which explains why the jets OL always stinks. Point is Mike McIdiot is now going to draft one less OL in this draft (if he is even going to draft one at all) because people like you (and Mccagnan) believe that Qvale provides so much "depth" (as you say, "depth signing," remember?). You, unlike the Patriots. do not understand the value of a quality OL, since you defend Qvale as some kind of depth signing. You probably did not notice that you are only one on this board defending resigning Qvale, so I can understand you being kind of lonely on that island.. Anyway, you and McCagnan keep missing the point that OL IS an important position. It requires the most players per snap, and not wasting time on total scrubs like Qvale who has already stunk up the joint for at least two years (although you write that he may "find himself!!!!"). Really, dude, you think Qvale will find himself this year?? I'm not holding my breath, but you must be. Feel free to respond if you want...I can see you're missing my point...you can have the last word...write about Brent Qvale all you want. Dude.

CBG likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

so you think you saw Qvale get knocked over in some preseason game, and that has formed your entire opinion and it shows.

The guy has started 5-6 games each year between RG and RT, every time Winters or Shell misses time, but you never noticed any of that.
    I wonder why?
    He also plays a handful of snaps a game as a blocking TE.
    These are the reasons why he was signed again as a depth option, which is exactly what it is....a depth move.

You should not be taken seriously.
    And btw, I agree with the overall point you are poorly trying to make, which is that OL needs to be more of a priority.

FJF likes this.
  10. Sam Hammer

"Maccagnan's idea of building an OL is resigning an awful retread like Qvale."

I'm not defending Qvale, I'm just saying his signing is of little significance. You are ranting about him as if Macc is relying on him to be a starter. I honesty think that next year will be the year Macc drafts oline. I'm hoping he drafts a center this year, but next year's class is going to be deep with oline, and outside of 3 centers there isn't much this year to draft.

Trading for KO is part of rebuilding the oline, not this.

tomdeb and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

A fairly good analysis of our offensive line. In short, it has prevented us from running the plays we want because guys are being blown up by defenders. Now half the problem was Long, he seems to be terrible both in snapping and blocking (I thought he was just a terrible snapper). Osemele might fix the left side of the line. The problem is Winters has also been pretty bad (imo idk why we're even paying him $7 million to be a bad guard) and Beachum is as meh of left tackle as you can get. Oh yeah, we don't have a starting center entering the draft too...

I get that not everything is going to be fixed in one year but we are on off season #4 for Macagnan so when will this get addressed? I don't think I have ever seen a GM not care about a position as Macagnan does for his offensive line. I don't want a scenario in the middle of the season where Sam is hurt and Bell is going nuts because the offensive line cant open any holes for him. Should that happen Mac needs to be let go after next year.

#51 Quinnenthebeast, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    CBG, BradysTornACL, NYJetsO12 and 6 others like this.
  12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The above video highlights why I think we'll trade down (at almost any price) in the Draft and get some OL help. Macc knows that the quickest way to get fired within 12 months will be to see his star RB held at the LOS and his great-white-hope QB running for his life every other play.

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

OL will probably be a below average unit for the team again. It’s a shame with the pieces they’ve added on O. Maybe we get some gems in the draft. Who am I kidding...

CBG and tomdeb like this.
  14. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Trading down is not going to happen. Check out the last time we did.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. Between Bates calling for empty backfields so often, and the atrocious blocking (and I use that word lightly) it's a wonder that Sam didn't suffer a major career-ending injury last season. That he survived is a tribute to his mobility and toughness. If Mac doesn't get a better C in here either via the draft or camp cut and get a better OG like Sitton in here to push Winters, he should be fired before the season even begins. We also can't go into the season with no backup LT and with only Qvale or Compton as Shell's backup at RT.

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The last time we did, Mac traded down too late to do any good. The time to trade down is in the 1st or latest 2nd round. All trading down in the 3rd round or later accomplishes is missing out on talented players that could help the team in exchange for a bunch of jags.

17. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I just noticed that Jets signed Jon Toth as a developmental center. He was someone I really liked in the draft a few years ago but he went undrafted then had back surgery. I don't know if he is the answer for the Jets at C but I like that he's in the mix.

18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the Jets get a good offer and trade down in the 1st round and get a few more draft picks. A superstar pass rusher is great, but the team has a lot of weaknesses and lacks depth.

BudJet likes this.
  19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I don't think ANY team blindly picks players. The problem is that the Jet's draft picks aren't succeeding at a decent rate.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I remember watching the draft a few years ago and all the genius pundits thought the Cowboys would draft defense in the 1st round, but instead drafted a top offensive lineman. The "experts" were dumbfounded. After that, the Cowboys had the best O-line in the NFL and a high-powered offense.

tomdeb likes this.