o-line rebuild

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mr nyjet, Mar 31, 2019.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I think it would be a mistake to move Winters to C.

stinkyB likes this.
  2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Maccagnan's idea of building an OL is resigning an awful retread like Qvale. Qvale got knocked on his butt last year during a preseason game, probably by some scrub.

3. Why?

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

With some of the top players in each of the last 10 drafts being interior d-lineman (including Quinnen Williams this year), the value of guard has shot up to near LT value. In some cases, beyond.

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He hasn't done it in the NFL and that does mean something. Even if he is capable doesn't mean it would actually work out. Our current/projected Oline hasn't played together yet and to add a position change on top of that I think would be asking for trouble. Just my opinion obviously, but I would rather keep him at guard.

CBG and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  6. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

He played center for us when manigold went down and did a good job. With experience he has gained since then i see no reason he couldnt make the swap.

7. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

He played close to half a season at center for us when manigold went down. Did well considering how few starts he had at that point.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken, but I think that they tried Winters at C in TC one year. At least I remember their talking about it. If he did try it, he must not have been very successful, because he's been playing OG, and I've never seen any other mention of it.

I knew I remembered something about it. Following is the link to a ganggreennation.com article about it.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/4/29/8513277/brian-winters-will-get-work-at-center

Yesterday Brian Winters lined up at center with the 2nd team to get much needed reps. Obviously Winters was drafted and played as a guard his first two years with the Jets.

When asked about the move, Bowles responded:

We have been moving a lot of guys around early in case of injuries. During the season, a lot of injuries happen. So, a lot of guys have been moving across the line just to get some reps in case of injury.

That makes perfect sense to me. Although Mangold is highly durable and we do have a promising back-up in Dalton Freeman still on the roster, getting Winters some time at center is a good idea, just in case emergency strikes.

If I were Winters, I would be welcoming the opportunity to line up at several different spots on the offensive line. It's no secret that Winters has struggled mightily in the NFL since being drafted, after starting the year like a barn door, allowing pressure on a regular basis, his season was ended through injury.

Aboushi came in and although he struggled, he performed better than Winters. Then we re-sign Colon and sign free agent James Carpenter. I'm sure Winters will get a chance to compete at guard this year but if he is beaten out, he needs to show his value to keep a roster spot. Being able to play both guard positions and center would do that.

#28 NCJetsfan, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

Jon Feliciano is very good guard who was stuck behind K Osemele, and Gabe Jackson in Oakland. He can back up center too. He just wanted to start somewhere. Can't ever blame a team for trying to upgrade their offense line. Any offense is only as good as the Qb, and the guys up front on the offense line.

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

He's an avg guard who can't stay healthy. Last 2 years when he actually got some Playing time he ended up on the IR. Was decent in 17, terrible last year when he played.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That's a depth signing.

12. TonyFtLaud

Must be a kiddies pool.....:D

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wouldn't it be nice if we talked about depth players as future starters instead of using the term to explain why they were signed at all?

14. TonyFtLaud

Fortunately our depth players are future starters... Unfortunately future XFL starters.....

stinkyB, tomdeb and abyzmul like this.
  15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

if i was the owner, i would want a nfl rule stating no one player on the roster can exceed 10% of the salary cap.

think of us when we lost 3 starting o-line because chad got too much. ditto the colts when peyton got injured.

brady is smart to take less $, so his team has the money to sign decent guys to protect him.

there are a lot of dumber guys playing elsewhere ( cousins,rodgers)

who prevent teams from signing o-line vets that are skilled enough due to lack of cap money .

16. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

came out today that bills signed the titans free agent guard. there goes another possibility.

17. NCJetsfan

Yep, Quentin Spain.

18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That’s actually one of their better signings this year. Morse is OK but the rest of their OL additions before today were meh.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

At least they’re trying. I’d rather buy a couple years with some guys toward the end of their career then go in with trash to begin with. Buy us some time to find more permenant fixtures.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Morse is a lot better than OK. He hasn't given up a sack in 4 years. He's not as good in run blocking as he is in pass blocking, but he's very good in pass blocking, which is the most important thing.