o-line rebuild

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mr nyjet, Mar 31, 2019.

1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

in sunday's buffalo news, an article mainly spotlighting center mitch morse, who was signed in free gency to play center, also pointed out that the bills signed 5 other vets to fill out the entire line.

long, guard, from the jets 3yrs/ 12.6 million
    feliciano, guard, from the raiders 2yrs/ 7.25 million
    nsekhe, tackle , from washington 2yrs/ 10 million
    waddle, tackle, from patriots. 1yr/ 2 million

morse got 4yrs/44.5 million.
    wheteher you look at these 5 veterans as starters or depth, remember that bills have more picks available both this year and next than the jets. also, they have historically done much better drafting in rounds 2-5 than us.

questions are; just how good are thsese 5 guys ( morse should start at center, and long was fine at guard) and why we do so badly drafting from rounds 2-5.
    this year, is mac going to make all the picks, or are gase and williams going to have a say in which players are drafted for offense or defense?
    finally, some mocks have bosa slipping down to 3. given our past history with players from ohio state,
    i would rather pick josh allen at 3. we haven't had the superstar edge rusher since john abraham was dealt away.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I agree about drafting Allen over Bosa. Allen fits the 3-4 defense better than Bosa.

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well as far as the Bills and their O Line signings go the first thing that strikes me is that in another 2 years or so they will need a another O Line rebuild .....All vet signings for 2 or 3 years and not exactly any world beaters . I would prefer the Jets to build their O Line mostly within the draft although a vet or two is fine and probably necessary . That guard the Jets traded for - Osemele is a decent guard now they need to find a LT and a C preferably from the draft even if they have to wait until next year to find a good young LT.

As far as the #3 pick this season - I prefer the Jets stay right where they are and take the pass rusher . It’s pretty much a 99% guarantee they finally find their blue chip pass rusher and defensive co-leader with J. Adams. Yeah they could trade down and add a couple of picks but the talent does kind of regress the further down the picks go so the team would be taking a chance .

I’m really looking forward to this draft .

#3 mrjet80, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  4. mr nyjet

all fair points. i wonder why they signed qvale? he looked horrible, and dozier had more versitility.

come to think about it, i saw guys playing center and guard or tackle in aaf games that are better than our so-called depth.

hope mac has some scouts assigned to aaf to bring in some guys who could make the team as backups.

with fewer draft picks, he can't afford to overlook any source of talent.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Whoever those O lineman Mac obviously didn't want them or get them to come here

He will leave us all in suspense until Rnd 3 of this draft for additional OL or grab some guys who are released from teams between TC and reg season that are hopefully good

We get our Edge Rusher on draft day too: Bosa Allen Burns or Sweat...stay tuned

boozer32 likes this.
  6. mr nyjet

understand your point, but reports say he didn't even try for the two centers that were there.

7. I think theyll target a center & depth in later rounds but 2020 draft class is LOADED w OT/OL prospects.Not just a few guys w a chance..but a good 10-12,names.expect them to rolll w the average group we have now w a better option at center but the major reshaping taking place in 2020.

Pags2112, mrjet80 and CotcheryFan like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We've done badly in rounds 2-5 because the FO and CS haven't had a coherent vision of what they want the team to be like in quite some time. With no identity in place, it's just blindly picking players who may or may not pan out.

9. mr nyjet

true. which makes the criticism of mac for not addressing the o-line in the past 4 drafts valid.
    outside of shell, he is guilty of gross neglect.
    you can't defend him after using those picks on the likes of hackenberg, hansen, stewart, etc.

Jets81, Peebag and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. mrjet80

Yeah that should be the plan. Get what they can now with the few picks they have - EDGE, a C, maybe another RB to spell Bell and a CB.

Next year target their new LT and a #1 WR assuming they feel Robby doesn’t cut it.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. mrjet80

Fair points regarding the picks themselves - busts. However I don’t think Mac purposely neglected the OL - I think it was circumstantial considering better players at other positions particularly in the first round were staring right at him and we can’t really count last year since we knew he was aiming for the franchise QB.

In other words had the Jets already had their QB going into last year’s draft I’m pretty sure Nelson would have been the pick for the Jets at #6.

I do wish Mac had done a better job finding OL talent - but don’t think he was “ ignoring “ it ....

12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

If they don’t find a trade down partner I get this bad feeling they won’t like any of the centers in the 3rd round and ignore the entire line again. We have blown another opportunity to get it right. So far it doesn’t seem like Gase is getting to Mac about how important a fix at offensive line is. I remain skeptical until proven otherwise.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree that Nelson would have been the pick last year at #6. For starters, we know what Mac said about building OL with lower-round draft picks when he was hired, and that he hasn't seemed to value interior OL. He's either not drafted them at all, or only used low-round draft picks, and even the FAs he has signed have been cheap, second or third-tier FAs. He's had four Free Agent classes and four drafts to significantly upgrade the OL and hasn't. I don't think he would ever take an OG that high in the draft, and for good reason. IMO it's too high to take an OG. You take one that high, you're going to have to really pay him on his second contract. Even with increasing caps, any team can only afford to give big contracts to so many players. By the time you're paying your QB, LT, edge rusher, Adams, and maybe a top CB and/or WR, you can't afford to pay big bucks to an OG.

If Mac had stayed put at #6, I think the pick would have been one of Roquan Smith (LB) or Mike McGlinchey (OT). He could have taken McGlinchey in the 1st round and then quite likely James Daniels and Connor Williams in the 2nd round. He may even have sought to trade down and garner additional picks. He might have looked to trade down to the lower teens and taken Jaire Alexander (CB), Frank Ragow (C), Billy Price (C), Isaiah Wynn (OT), or even D.J. Moore. He could have sought an additional 2nd or 3rd last year and a 1st this year. It's possible that Mac could have significantly started the rebuild of the OL last year.

While I agree that Mac didn't totally ignore the OL, he hasn't done nearly enough. He tried to trade up for Laremy Tunsil and failed. He tried to sign Mike Iupati and Orlando Franklin, the two best OGs in FA that year, but failed, and wound up signing James Carpenter instead. He traded a fifth round pick for Ryan Clady and a 7th round pick. He didn't make a contract offer to either Paradis or Morse, and I may be mistaken, but don't think he made an attempt to sign either of the top two FA Cs last year (Richburg and Jensen), and wound up signing Long and Swanson. Swanson didn't even make the team and now Long is gone. Now that could because he didn't think any of the four were worth what it would cost, but it could also be that he didn't think it was necessary to have to pay big bucks to an interior lineman. If the latter is true, then there's no way, he would have drafted Nelson at #6.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thank God he moved up from 6.last year!..QB is your most valuable player . at the end of the day prob his most brilliant move as GM

I don't think that there is anyone on TGG that would disagree with you taking an OL among the first 10 picks is not necessary

From what I understand , in Round 2 you can find some good ones. Macagnan has practically been an Informercial to the rest of the League we wants a trade down...hopefully to 13 spot at most so as to get highest Edge available

That said, the Souting Dept and GM must be prepared for targeting an OL with picks they get for Rnd 2...let's see what happens

boozer32 likes this.
  15. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Everyone saying this FO has no vision is 100% correct. With passing on Watson and Mahomes in the 2017 draft it was clear we were targeting the QB crop in 18 with either Baker, Rosen or Darnold. With this knowledge you have to be planning at least a year ahead to ensure the rookie qb comes into a qb friendly environment, i.e a strong o-line.

I personally believe this is the biggest failure of this regime and will be a point of contention until Mac gets the boot. The FO never seems to have a plan moving forward and is just taking it a year by year approach. Easy for me to judge since I don't sit in his chair but it's hard not to argue on how this team did an extremely poor job prepping for a new franchise qb.

16. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

I don't know why we haven't made the change of Winters to center yet. I would feel far better about our Oline if Harrison was playing guard for us this year.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the Ohio State players. The Jets have been unlucky with that school for sure. I hope Allen is the Jets pick. if they decide to trade back I hope it's for a huge haul but also not too far back.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

May be, just may be, because the CS has not started interfacing with any of the players yet, as per the rule book. I would think those considerations will be addressed once the OL C starts his evaluation during OTAs.

JdotGriff likes this.
  19. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Why would that make you feel better? Has Winters ever played Center in the NFL? If he has, I stand corrected.

20. He has not...but he has the perfect skill set outside of the fact that we have no idea if he can snap. He's good laterally, he's good on reach blocks, good on combos...and altough he can struggle w. pad level/balance man-up he still has 5 seasons of experience at guard so he won't back down from match-ups w. a nose right over him.

He'd allow us to to sign Josh Sitton or draft a guard rather than a center. Still, I don't think it's gonna happen. Jets have never been fans of changing OL positions. I remember screaming for Adrian jones to move to guard under Mangini & it never happened. He moved on to KC & had acouple above average years on the interior.