Gronk retires (Un-retires and signs with Bucs)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GWjet, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Because of the presence of Brady Bill and his staff often do not get enough credit. They do invest a bunch of late round firsts on the Oline and get great coaching. They rarely over pay for a guy and really focus on what a players strengths are instead of fitting round pegs in square holes. Bill may be not the best person, but he never has let arrogance keep him from being flexible in scheme or game plan to the point of self defeat.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well as a number of Posts on here mention, the real celebration begins when Bellichek calls it quits

Brady retiring will be a bigger blow to NE than Gronk

But if you look carefully each year 50 per cent of the NE squad are a step above scrubs and then the HC turns them into SB champions ! smh

Anyone whos better than Lombardi is a perennial problem

Gronk >>>prob was most the most dominant TE in 30 years..Adios Jet Killer

3. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Millions in the bank, young, ton of injuries and 3 SB rings. I don't blame him one bit.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Gronk: retirement > facing Adams twice a year

5. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

Willie McGinist has been saying since the SB that he expected Gronk to retire, come back late in the season and be fresh for a last playoff run.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Brady drafted to any other organization would be a league overthought.
    Hell he wasn't even very good this season at all.

They win week after week on coaching, game planning, and adjustments.
    This was never so evident as this post season.

They also make it a point to get the ball out within 2 seconds or less, because they know Br*dy falls apart once hit.
    Again that's good coaching - knowing the limitations of your guys.

7. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

His brain has probably started turning to Sushi and his body is going to keep falling apart. The guy was a freight truck but he has so many miles on him - he should have retired sooner. I can't see his quality of life at 40+ being too great

8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

There's no way to know that, it's just your opinion and certainly not based on anything factual. What we know is that Brady appeared in 9 SB's winning 6. No other QB in his era, which includes P. Manning, E. Manning, Favre, Brees, Rogers is even close to that record. Not trying to denigrate BB's accomplishments which are great, but as to which guy has contributed most to NE's success, I'll take Brady.

9. BacktoQueens

He was a 6th round pick for a reason.
    Not athletic, not exactly great in college by any stretch, was even benched in college and had to see a sports psychologist for his fragile ego.
    There was nothing special about his ability or career until getting paired with Belichick, a great D, and flawless special teams.
    It was a dream spot for any QB.

I'm very confident that if drafted by the Browns instead, he'd be a never was.
    He's the ultimate system QB that landed in the perfect system.

Arguing SB's again is just lazy, as Belichick is the driving force behind those SB's as all three phases contributed at a high level with minimal mistakes.
    Conversely, put Peyton or Brees with Belichick, and it just wouldn't be fair.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

unpopular opinion, i actually like gronk and both a player and a person. glad he is hanging them up before he ruins his body. you can tell he was already breaking down

Pepsiguy5 and Biggs like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And the gray matter already turning to tapioca.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Good, kick him in his ass. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get away from that stupid face of his because he's going to get even more endorsements and probably do some sports casting. Shoot me now. I said shoot me now!

[​IMG]

13. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Maybe, we'll never know. Sometimes, luck plays a factor in how you turn out. What if the 49ers had drafted Aaron Rodgers instead of Alex Smith? Would Aaron Rodgers still be the QB he is today? The Packers developing him how they did and letting him sit for 3 years played a major factor in how he turned out.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Fixed it for ya.

15. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll believe the end of the Patriots when I see it. Gronk was what a 2nd round pick and one of the GOAT TEs? They have a horseshoe up their ass. They'll probably draft the next HOFer this draft.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Brady has the most athletic mind in NFL football history. He processes plays in his head over the entire field better than anyone who has played the game. He has an iron will. He has 44 playoff comebacks and 35 playoff game winning drives.

He is without question the GOAT. It's not even close.

FYI Kurt Warner who isn't athletic is one of the best I have ever seen at seeing the field and distributing the ball. He was great on two teams when he was healthy, neither one of them had Belicheck.

If you can't see how great Brady is at processing and how strong his will and leadership is you are missing what makes him great.

It's his brain that separates him from everyone else. He would succeed at anything he put his mind to. It's obvious.

Peyton with BB would have been more successful. He's one of the greatest QB's ever but don't discount that BB greatness is tied to the hip with Brady.

He's numbers say you're wrong. The Pats have had plenty of great players and great coaching. Brady is by far the best player the Pats ever had and is without question the greatest QB of his era. It's not remotely debatable.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He was in hard decline this year no question. 4300 plus yards, 65.8% completion percentage. 29TD's 11 INT's a rating of 97.7, 7.6 Y/A. He sucked.

18. BacktoQueens

Holy shit I couldn't get passed the first sentence.
    athletic mind? lol ok coz it's certainly not an athletic body.

Show me what Br*dy has accomplished w/o Belichick.
    He was a scrub in college and would be a nothing in the pros if it weren't for the absolutely gift wrapped perfect landing spot for him.

Most overrated QB in history due to team success.
    QB's that can succeed anywhere usually prove that, by actually succeeding with different teams and coaches, like Peyton and Brees.
    I'd take either of them or Rodgers in a heartbeat over Br*dy, assuming Belichick is not the coach.

19. BacktoQueens

Captain dink and dunk has been throwing the ball within 2 yds of the LOS, or flopping to the ground if it's not there within 2 seconds.
    The yards per attempt stat is a mirage.
    Still very accurate, and still playing at a high level for a guy his age no doubt, but definitely declining.
    The run game and D, and of course ridiculous coaching, took over the season....especially the post season.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I go back to the mid 60's. There is no QB I have ever seen with 1 drive left trailing or tied that I would want to have the ball that isn't named Tom Brady and that includes Montana. When Brady comes to the line down less than a TD at the end of games the fear is palpable on opposing teams. With Brady behind center the confidence that he will get it done spreads to the entire team. The focus from everyone goes up. It comes through on the TV and live. If you don't see it, you're blind. He is the consummate leader. He's deadly accurate and he is going to make the right read and throw almost every time.

Rodgers is an amazing talent. He doesn't belong in the same sentence as Brady. When he hasn't had the best team in football he hasn't come close to a SB. Rodgers is the classic great athlete with an amazing release and arm. Unlike Brady he is reacting not dictating the play. He gets away with it because he is such a great athlete. He isn't as good as Brady because he isn't dictating the action. He's reacting to it.

Brees is a great QB. His stats are padded by playing in doors more than any other QB and playing in a division with another dome team and two good weather teams. He has had the best overall team in football 2 years in a row and didn't get it done. He has a great head coach.

While not a great athlete, he has a good arm and he has great pocket presence. He feels pressure, slips in the pocket and gets his feet set fast as lightning. By athletic mind, I mean he is processing the entire field better than anyone else. That gives him a huge advantage against just athletes that are reacting. He isn't reacting he is dictating.

I hate Brady and the Pats. He's the best QB in the modern NFL era and it ain't close. Get over it.

#60 Biggs, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Woodhead and westiedog1 like this.