Jets and Redskins Trade (La Canfora Speculation)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by TurkJetFan, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

The jets won’t take a qb but they can trade down and then the new team can take a qb. Assuming that the raiders is safe to trade with not the safest idea.

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

You get the point

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i do...............

4. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Kam is that you? If not, sorry. Only know one Turkish Jet fan.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

No I said do not use the Skins first round pick next year - that would probably wind up being a top 5 pick. It would depend on the haul the Jets get back in this "trade". If it's some of the crazy hauls I'm seeing in this post like a second, two thirds, and a first and second next year, etc. sure I would consider trading back up three sports or so if it secured a pass rusher with first round talent that will not reach the # 15 spot. What would it cost at that point ? Certainly not the haul the Jets got trading down twelve spots....even if it cost two of the thirds or one of the thirds and a second next year ( just as an example ) that still leaves us with three extra picks we didn't have including a top 5 next year and a pass rusher with a much better chance of sticking around. Jimmy Johnson made trades like that quite often during his Dallas days. Of course Mac hasn't proven to have Johnson's eye for talent - that's another story.

In all likelihood none of the above is happening anyway......the Skins would be crazy to give all those picks up. They didn't learn the last time ?

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

if a trade with the skins OR giants happens.....the most important piece of that trade will be the 2020 first rounder compensation. Both teams will more than likely be very close to, if not in, the top 5...….with at least 3 top QB's next year likely going in the top 10, another high pick next year to parlay into more picks would be exactly what this team needs for the finishing touches heading into the 2020 season.

that's the window......2 offseasons and 1 regular season heading into the 2020 season where the rubber meets the road.

K'OB, BudJet, mrjet80 and 4 others like this.
  7. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

At the very least listen to them. If Washington wants to bless us with a bounty of draft picks for their next bust, so be it.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Certainly is fascinating. Would love to rob the Redskins blind so they can select their bust of the future and us end up with a bunch of picks to use in the coming years

We still need a pass rusher and a C badly. And obviously Quinnen Williams is enormously talented too. To get us to budge from 3 is going to take a lot.

I would want the Redskins 2nd this year. BOTH their 3rds this year. And their first next year

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

My points were one, that spending picks you just got in the trade down to trade back up would be a waste; and that two, it could very likely cost the 2020 #1 pick we would get from Washington to be able to trade back up. If you refuse to use it, then you might very well wind up not trading back up.

I just don't think any GM would do that. They're aren't gonna trade down past a spot where they can get a player that they really want/need just to get a bunch of picks, and then turn right around and try to trade back up. They'd look grossly incompetent and people all over the NFL would be shaking their heads.

We can just agree to disagree on this. No offense, but I just think the whole idea is silly.

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Skins moving to 4 or 5 would open up some interesting possibilities with the Giants

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

For me it boils down to something simple = take the sure thing and fill a need / BOSA or make the trade and trust Mac to get it right when he has not in the past ? If our GM was competent the decision would be easy and making a trade would be a no brainer BUT -----------> we have Mac.

12. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Bidding war between WASH and NYG for our pick to draft Haskins. Give it to me, and give me all the picks!

13. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

With or without Haskins I don't see them picking higher than they are this year with the upside for a top 5-10 pick. I'd let 3 go for 15, 46 and next years first.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

And who knows...what if that Redskin 2020 1st is in the top 5 with the stud QB class?

Jets could parlay the 3rd pick into 6+ picks.

Go out with a bang, won’t be seeing the top 10 for a while. Screw it, right?

HomeoftheJets and mrjet80 like this.
  15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The idea may be silly but Jimmy Johnson built the Cowboys dynasty doing things like that on draft day. Of course he was positioning for specific players and hit on just about every one . Mac isn’t Johnson.

It doesn’t matter . I can’t see the Skins giving away the farm to get into position for any of these QBs. For the record I think the Jets will stay put and take Bosa/Allen ...

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Skins are interested in Haskins, that sets up a potential bidding war between them and the Giants. I would definitely entertain trading down for a boatload of picks and in the Skins case a player like Scherff as well.

But what if one of them trades up with the Raiders or Bucs an the assumption that we won't take Haskins? Well maybe Macc DOES take him and then offers him to the highest bidder at that point? It would be risky, but they would almost certainly get a great offer and not wind up stuck with a QB they don't need.

I still think the Giants will try to get Rosen and hedge their bets and not put themselves in a situation where they have to overpay to move up. If Haskins falls to them at that point, fine. otherwise, they stick with Eli and Rosen and wait until 2020 for a QB.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Has that ever happened where a team takes a QB it doesn't want and then trades him for picks?

18. 2004..eli w chargers..giants w Rivers

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes. Kurt beat me to it.

I know a lot people would say this is crazy and too risky, but the Jets need more high draft capital and this might be a way to bend the draft to their will. Of course the "safe" route is sit at 3 and take whoever falls to you, but that will only satisfy one need, at best. If the Jets can trade that for a couple of high picks this year and next year, and maybe even a decent player, that's the route I prefer.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. It would take a TON of guts..And team would need to make sure that Darnold is ok & comfortable w it..but it would absolutely maximize a return on a trade if indeed teams are still high on Haskins

#80 KurtTheJetsFan, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.