Does Darnold give you the confidence that he is the Savior of Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Feb 15, 2019.

1. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

So basically nothing

FJF and JETS1116 like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He has a fivehead.

3. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Who said you'd have to make a thread? lol

Hey look!

[​IMG]

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

If this doesn’t excite you , coupled with the text signings on offense, than nothing will

make sure to click on bottom to take you to Twitter & see the entire thread breaking down a series of Sam"s throws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#204 Jersey Joe 67, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I still think Sam will be better than Mayfield. Lately we've had too many QBs set the world in fire in their rookie season and then settle down as average QBs. Darnold has all of the fundamentals, my bet is still on him.

NYJFOREVER and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Back in the heyday of the AFL there were a lot of great QBs - Namath, Hadl, Lamonica, Dawson - and there was a lot of debate about who was the best. Based on stats it wasn't Namath, but I would take him over the others every time because he just had that knack of pulling out a win when it seemed impossible. Or maybe just because I'm a Jets fan:). Today we have a lot of great or potentially great QBs, and there will be a lot of debate about which one is the best, I'm happy to have Darnold. While not as flamboyant as Joe Willie, he shows that winner's instinct, and stays cool no matter what's happening. I on't know if he'll wind up being the best, or even in the Hall of Fame, but if he stays healthy, I think he'll be the best since Namath. What the other QBs do doesn't really concern me.

KurtTheJetsFan, CotcheryFan and K'OB like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold really came on after sitting out with that foot injury.

I imagine he's spent some quality time in the off-season watching film.

With the addition of Bell & Crowder....I can't wait.

The Dark Knight and CotcheryFan like this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is usually the type of year where we get the rug pulled out. If not this season, definitely 2020.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm in a grumpy mood today so I'll point out that rookie Geno also had a terrific December.

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

At the same time, Geno had never improved upon his flaws, not to mention his garbage attitude as a football player. The biggest factor to his failure was that we didnt see any marked improvement from his first year and defenses figured him out. I will be curious this preseason watching to see how Darnold has improved.

While Darnold had trouble with turnovers this year, you can't fault him completely when we probably had less offensive talent on offense even compared to the Geno years. Bates was a terrible offensive coordinator that basically made Darnold read the entire field and have to throw it perfectly to the likes of Burnett, Tomlinson, and an unmotivated Kearse on many occasions. Darnold's improvement during the last quarter of the season though can be attributed to him sitting and watching McCown get the ball out of his hands quicker. Once he emulated that, then he looked much better coming back from that injury IMO.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So you’re comparing him to P Manning?

12. HomeoftheJets

I know, I'm not saying Darnold is Geno. Geno was a worst-case scenario where he finished a largely terrible rookie year on a promising note and then flopped during his second year. I expect 2019 Darnold to be closer to December Darnold than September-November Darnold. But I'm not expecting Darnold to have an 80.9 QBR in 2019 either.

13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Geno Smith finished on an 8-8 team. In December, he went 3-1 against teams who had a combined record of 28-36. He had a 58.6% completion percentage for 790 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs. He had 0 games of 250 yards or more.
    Sam Darnold finished on a 4-12 team. In December, he went 1-3 against teams who had a combined record of 34-29. He had a 64.0% completion percentage for 931 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT. He had 2 games of 250 yards or more.

ColoradoContrails and Harpua like this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I always thought that we get the rug pulled after a modicum of success.

Like Bowles going a dismal 5-11 after a hopeful 10-6 rookie season.

Or Vinnie's achillies tear after winning the AFC East for the 1st time since the merger.

Or Mark Sanchez....ahh forget it.

It's too depressing.

15. HomeoftheJets

I know, I know. Darnold is better than Geno. I said I was in a grumpy mood today. Only issue I have your post is that the 2013 Jets were one of the luckiest 8-8 teams I've ever seen. They had a -97 point differential, good for 26th in the NFL. Geno's supporting cast was very weak.

16. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Geno also had a perfect QB rated game against a Dolphin team that had just had their heart stabbed the prior week getting knocked out of the playoffs. Bringing up his average stat. Those fins were the definition of bags packed tee times scheduled sports cars in flat beds totally checked out.

Too funny I remember folks saying “Geno has the 2nd highest QB rating the last 4 weeks behind Peyton in the entire leaguuuuuueeeee!”.

Zero context. The dude sucked moose cock.

17. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Obviously a lot of his improvement will be based and how he and Gase work his mechanics, decision-making,etc. but it has been a loooong time since we’ve had a weapon remotely resembling Bell. Last year I blamed Darnolds failures 50% on himself and 50% on just how bad the offense was around him. By getting Bell and Crowder, and hopefully more pieces on the offensive line, we are eliminating the bad offense excuses.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

With the added tools and focus on offense...I'd be surprised if Darnold has a sophomore slump.

I hope Gase doesn't stifle Sam's ability to move around and throw accurately on the run.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Extremely high ceiling. He's very talented in many ways.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Championship?