Thank you Kirk Cousins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 16, 2019.

1. They couldve gone w Quinnon Williams instead which would beva disaster IMO.Team needs a young edge either way.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Just Incredible how so many on TGG were thinking Cousins was absolutely worth the 80 Mil he got offered by our buffoon of a GM..LMAO

Just a handful against the signing...as we all know the majority are not always correct

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You can’t really blame Mac too harshly for that. Kirk was the best free agent QB to hit the market since Brees. It was and is very, very rare.

If you had forgotten (I am certain you didn’t), the NYJ have had some really atrocious QB play for a looong time. Hard to blame him for trying to fix our awful QB play.

Not counting Fitzpatrick’s flash in the pan season, the Jets haven’t had a really good QB since Pennington.

#23 PennyandtheJets, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I won't dislike the Vikings over that. It's not like they organized all 3 events. Both Winfield and Barr stood up/screwed the Jets, not the Vikings, and the Vikings actually did the Jets a favor by signing Cousins. I never wanted him and he would have been a big mistake. We'd be mired in cap hell and mediocrity and Bowles might still be here. We wouldn't have Sam, Bell, Mosley, Greg Williams or Gase.

There are 4 teams I hate: the Patriots, the Bills, the Dolphins and the Raiders. The Colts aren't far behind. Notice that all have been long time nemeses of the Jets.

#24 NCJetsfan, Mar 16, 2019
  5. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. With Barr on hand, we would have probably traded down, taken Brian Burns, and had a 2nd round pick, and extra 3rd and a 1st or 2nd next year, maybe more. Now we'll be lucky to get Allen or Bosa. Knowing that jerk Mac, he'll probably take Q. Williams.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. PennyandtheJets

All he said was that they were climbing his dislike list.

7. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know. Still since he broached the subject of a team he hated, he made somewhat of a connection there.

He said he only hates one team, the Patriots. I was just stating that I couldn't hate or even dislike the Vikings over those 3 players. I'll edit my post to make it clearer.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Cousins is a pretty good QB. The Jets did not have a QB and had plenty of cap space. I still say it was the right move to go after him. The Jets had the #6 pick too. Darnold was not an option, and Rosen, Mayfield, and Allen were unknowns if they would work out or not. You know what you have in Cousins. Plus you would still have your draft picks by not trading up and did not have to use one pick on a QB. It makes sense. And he was offered $90 million.......

9. The beat writers out there have a real inferiority complex w NY & it just rubs me the wrong way when they write articles trashing jet fans for merely being upset about a player(s) leaving the jets at the alter to go to the twin cities.

Most of my life ive liked the vikings actually.They have good fans,great history & have had alot of players come through that i liked..Jake Reed is one of my fav WRs ever.

But I think Rick Spielman is arrogant & an average GM at best.. and the Barr fiasco was enough to push them in the “stock down” category.

FTR i was deadset against Cousins coming here for a myriad of reasons but his stupid video about signing his deal was douchey..even as an MSU fan hes dead to me & i look forward to his quickly approaching jest laiden decline.

10. PennyandtheJets

Barrf didn’t just say, “I spent some time thinking about Minnesota and what a great place it has been for me and my family so I decided I needed to do what was best for them and return to Minnesota.”

No, what he actually said was that he got physically ill the next morning. Loser.

11. PennyandtheJets

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Guys. I never meant to disrespect folks who wanted Cousins last year. They had logical football reasons for that. I also wanted him at some point. But after landing Darnold and seeing how Kirk released that video I started hating him. Now do I say he is a bad QB? No. But I am grateful that he chose to sign with Vikings and we ended up with Darnold. Will Darnold surpass Kirk? Can't say Yes for sure but all signs indicate that he will be better than Kirk and that's a good thing.

Cheers folks.

And @abyzmul , I am getting old and as I get old I am becoming a worse human being. Sad but true. :(

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I'm not at all unhappy about the Jets getting Darnold, but I do find the over the top criticisms of Cousins more than a little ridiculous. Any one of Cousins' last four seasons could very well rank among the top five QB seasons for a Jets quarterback ever (to me only 1967 Namath, 1985 O'Brien, 1998 Testaverde, and 2002 Pennington would be better). Does he have clear limitations? Yes. Is he likely to get any better than he's been these last four years? No. Would he have been a better choice for a team clearly in rebuild mode than someone who was viewed by many as the #1 prospect in a QB-rich draft? No.

Does he suck? No. Would the Jets be overwhelmingly thrilled if Darnold had a year like one of Cousins' last four in 2019 or 2020? Hell yes.

And don't forget, if the Giants had done what everyone expected them to do the Jets wouldn't have Darnold at all. How would people feel if the comparison was Cousins versus Rosen or Allen? That's what Macc was actually looking at.

#33 statjeff22, Mar 17, 2019
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Kirk Cousins.

Not a fan of his style.
    On the field and off.

15. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Kirk who?

Acad23 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Au contraire, mes amis. I think Mac was looking at Cousins vs. Mayfield.

Cousins doesn't suck. You're correct that he is better than any QB the Jets have had since O'Brien, and has put up better stats/had better years than all but a few in our history. As I said this past spring, I wanted the Jets to draft him coming out of college. I just didn't think it was the right move when they finally had the chance to draft and develop a topflight QB prospect. If the Jets had somehow stumbled into a winning record the year before and had been drafting in the late teens or 20s, then I probably would have been in favor of signing Cousins. But with them slated to draft #6 and with 4 pretty darned good QB prospects in the draft, signing a FA QB, who although pretty good and who puts up good stats, would have been a big mistake and a cop out on our future. Cousins isn't a leader and I don't think he would have ever gotten us to, much less won a SB.

#36 NCJetsfan, Mar 17, 2019
    egelband and Brook! like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Darnold was just as much an unknown as the other QBs. IMO if anything, Mayfield was the one more likely to work out at a high level. I respectfully disagree that signing Cousins was the right move.

When you are finally in position to be able to draft and develop a young QB, after years (decades of not being able to) you don't pass on the opportunity. That would have been "playing it safe" and settling for mediocrity. It also shows a total lack of confidence in one's ability to pick a good QB and then develop him. Was there risk in drafting a young QB? Certainly, but achieving greatness requires risk. One doesn't achieve greatness by playing it safe. Cousins is an above average QB. He puts up very good stats, but he isn't a leader, and I don't think he will ever lead a team to or win a SB. If the Jets aren't totally committed to winning a SB, then Mac should be fired and the Johnsons either sell the team or fold the franchise.

egelband likes this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

If you promise to stop posting for nine years I promise to wake you up. Deal?

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We traded for the #3 pick this day last year.

Brook! and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Couldn’t imagine how those folks feel that wanted Kirk over everything. Definitely not me. Never wanted him. Nope, never. Man those people must feel so dumb. But I’m not one of them. Absolutely not.....