CJ Mosely to hit the market

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by TurkJetFan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is what I’m thinking. This is what made him a first round pick, being able to use his speed to get around the edge. He’s a fantastic coverage LB so I can’t rail on Bowles too much but that’s just not who he is.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Not sure he can be an OLB in a 3-4. In fact, I know he can’t. He doesn’t have the size/strength to fight off Tackles.

He would be a great OLB in a 4-3 though. Part of the reason I am disappointed that we are staying in a 3-4.

fansince90, stinkyB and FJF like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

I still think he can be pretty good but I agree with you, I really wish we made the switch. I know we are built for a 3–4 but I think we had a lot of guys currently on the roster that could’ve benefited from a change. Lee, Leo, Shepard. But the reason I think Lee could still be good is the trust I have in Williams to figure out how to use the talent he has. The talent is clearly there with Lee, just how can he unlock it?

FJF likes this.
  4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Why can't he play OLB? I frankly never understood why we have put him in the middle. He's smaller and built on speed. He's much better suited for the edge.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Cause he can't set the edge. As the OLB in the 3/4 he would be counted on to turn all running plays inside, that is a tough job as offenses will do anything, double-team, cut blocks, etc, to get outside that linebacker. So.... Lee would find himself with a nasty 300lb tackle who's entire livelihood relies on knocking that OLB inside... With a 260lb Tight end to chip in and help.

Lee doesn't have the physical or mental abilities to overcome that - in my humble opinion.

6. BroadwayAaron

If we play FA and the draft right, then there won't be a TE chipping Darron Lee.

FJF likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Someone help me here, certainly not that sharp on defensive schemes. IMO CJ would be the prototypical ILB on any scheme for us and a terrific play caller. What is wrong with moving Lee on a rotation both inside and outside as a WOLB, capitalizing on his speed and blitzing capability. I think there is a perception that we are going full blown 3-4 , but I believe we will be morphing into all sort of line ups depending on opponents, downs and yardage. This is no longer Bowles one scheme fits all strategy and playing talent out of their strengths. I venture to say Williams could do wonders out of a Lee/Mosley combo.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We looked a lot worse in defence in the 4 games he was suspended imo, there has to be some kind of role out there to maximise the obvious talent he has.

stinkyB likes this.
  9. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

I expect the Raiders to be heavy involved in CJ Mosely sweepstakes. I think that is going to be one of their man targets.

10. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Ive been saying the same thing about Adams. As a fan if the Jets i want him to succeed but as a fan of the game, i acknowledge his pro bowl selection but I know there is allot of room for growth. Also...i think Lee is far to small to seal the edge when linemen are pulling for tosses and sweeps. If o was an OC i would run right at him if he was outside. At least inside he has a d lineman buffering him.

#30 fansince90, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Completely agree

12. BroadwayAaron

There’s a sub-sector of posters here that hate Lee with every fiber in their being. They ignore the factual statistical evidence that says we were a much better defensive team with him, the same evidence that also says he’s one of the best coverage LBs in the game. They giggle at each other when they creatively refer to him as “Sharon”. They ignore his college career and pretend that the way Bowles used him was the only way you could possibly use him.

Basically, there’s no football reason why you’d move on from Lee if you sign Mosley and plenty of football reasons to actually pair them inside and out.

jonnyd and LAJet like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks Broadway. I'm at a loss as to why some Jet fans would rather hate on a Jets player and hope he fails just to prove they are right after all. Be it Lee, or Williams or Q or a few others that have consistently contributed and improved, with little or no help from the CS on both sides of the ball.

dawinner127 and FJF like this.