Bust Predictions

Discussion in 'Draft' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Mar 3, 2019.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Thought it would be interesting to make a thread that we can look back on for this draft. Name three higher profile prospects from this years draft that will end up busting at the next level. Here are mine--

1) Rashan Gary (physical freak that disappears during games)
    2) Dwayne Haskins (reminds me of EJ Manuel)
    3) Ed Oliver (he runs hot and cold, I don't see it)

Your turn!

2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Yeah I feel the same about Ed Oliver...very Gholstonesque to me.

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Should be in the Draft forum

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I feel that Lock is gonna be overdrafted and not amount to much.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think Gary and Oliver are popular choices but I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Allen reminds me a bit of Coples.....

Metcalf has bust potential but only because he’s going to go in the first round. Agree with Lock, I’ll also throw out Daniel Jones again because of where he’ll be drafted.

6. Rashan Gary.

Too straight line.Not quick enough to kick inside in 3T. Very much like Gholston

Quinnon Williams bc hes very dependent on disengaging blocks & only has 1 season of production. Wouldve loved to have seen him go back to school,get stronger in his bull rush/Anchor & proven he can disengage w SEC opponents having a whole offseason to coach up their lines to his specific moves.

Have no idea if those moves will work in the NFL bc NFL OL arent phased by swims & rips. When hes not able to disengage he looks very ordinary.

#6 KurtTheJetsFan, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2019
  7. FrontOfficeFanatic

I actually like Allen because of the heart he plays with, his physical ability and the fact he has experience rushing and dropping in coverage. I think he will be like Anthony Barr, not an elite rusher but solid overall across the board. Metcalf does remind me of Kevin White when he came out.

8. FrontOfficeFanatic

Gary Johnson = Lorenzo Mauldin

9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I can’t get the Metcalf David Boston comparison out of my mind.

Is he going to be Mike Evans?

Or Kelvin Benjamin.

I haven’t seen him a lot, mind you so I’m not comparing them per se, just scares me.

Harpua likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What reminds you of EJ Manuel when comparing Haskins? Just curious because ive never heard that comparison before.

11. IIMeanDeanII

Huh? Quinnen William's has a very strong bull rush though? What have you watched that made you think otherwise? I haven't seen a weak bull rush from him, so I'm curious.

Agree on, R. Gary though.. No way I would pick him in the first round.

12. IIMeanDeanII

D.K Metcalf - Never even caught 40 balls in college. No thanks.

Rashan Gary - Again, production just isn't there.

Montez Sweat - He has been getting a lot of hype lately but when I watch him in college, I just dont get it. He really wasnt that impressive to me. Idk

FJF likes this.
  13. FrontOfficeFanatic

When I watch him I don't see speed in his throws or decision making. He just doesn't operate fast, similar to EJ. He has the arm, the size and he has a good head on his shoulders, but I just don't see him translating as well. Maybe I'll be wrong though.....I'm rooting for him. Unless he goes to the Phins ;)

14. FrontOfficeFanatic

Metcalf is faster, more muscular and has a better work ethic than Benjamin....for these reasons I think he will be better.

15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Yeah Benjamin turned out to be a total dog but those over muscled big WRs scare me.

I have no idea what Metcalf will be in the NFL.

I can’t shake David Boston out of my mind.

Donttasemebro likes this.
  16. I watched vs LSU,vs UGA,vs Ole Miss & Clemson

He has a good bull rush as a counter move once he uses his hands to disengage/get OL off balance.

Im more referring to when hes fully engaged by blockers.There wil be times when he cant gain space w his hands in the NFL. Are you able to maintain lane integrity,ride the guard’s outside shoulder to collapse the pocket & at least make the QB step up.Towing the line if you will.

The rare times When hes fully engaged per game hes very ineffective.It may seem small but interior DL is an exceptionally difficult evaluation & every aspect has to be dissected esp in a top 3 pick

#16 KurtTheJetsFan, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2019
  17. IIMeanDeanII

So I'm going to go down this rabbit hole at the risk of coming off as a homer. Which I hate actually because I like to think I'm unbiased during this time of year.

He is actually a very quick analyzer of defense with a high football IQ, I honestly believe he was the absolute best at presnap defense and going through his progressions naturally. He also has a very smooth and quick release of the football with very good technique and feet to add to his overall game.

The weakness in his game is when things breakdown in the pocket, which is well documented by many, but as a fan, this was where he definitely struggled. However, I think its overblown on how much he actually struggled in this category and is something that I'm sure he will continue to get better at moving forward. His strength will probably never lay in offscript plays but In the pocket, he's the best in this draft. IMO

I'm curious where you have got these conclusions, like I said, maybe you're seeing something I'm not?

Or perhaps I'm perceiving your comment of "speed in his throws" incorrectly?

18. IIMeanDeanII

Unfortunately the LSU game is the only one of those I recall watching when I was looking specifically at, William's.

It sucks that draft breakdown is no longer a thing. Makes this time of year a lot harder for draft fan boys like us.

With that said...

That LSU game was an amazing game for him. Easily the player of the game for Bama.

I cant agree with you on your assessment, at least with this game.

His bullrush was fantastic and if you watched it closely, he always seemed to know when he was going to be in a 1v1 situation with the LSU lineman. When he had one on one responsibility he would often, very often, straight bullrush. Not only was he instantly engaging and pushing those linemen back 2-3 yds into the pocket but he often used his bullrush to manipulate lane responsibilities as well, which you dont see a lot in college, at least not done to that level of success. He controlled their run game by pushing his man into specific lanes on a consistent basis. He also used the bullrush to setup his swim or rip to cut off a runner or put pressure on the QB for LSU.

The only time I recall him using finesse moves was in those double team situations, which were frequently happening in this game, but he was consistently splitting defenders or pushing the pocket despite the double team. If I remember, most his sacks that game came from his finesse moves but he was still extremely effective with his bullrush as well.

I wish I could watch those other games but I dont have that resource like I did with draft breakdown. :/

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I wish SGB would come back just so we could read his analysis of Kyler Murray.

20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Kyler Murray is going to get broken in half within 2 years of being in the league and will go back to baseball.

Haskins also has bust written all over him

Sam Hammer likes this.