DK Metcalf

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Feb 27, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Would you take him over Hakeem Butler?

2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

EDGE RUSHER

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm all for offense and getting Sam weapons, and Metcalf looks like a beast, BUT...no guarantee he'll pan out, and the Jets have bigger holes to fill at Edge and OL, Plus, they can find damn good receivers in later rounds. That said, he might well become one of the all time greatest WRs if he fulfills his raw potential, and the Jets might kick themselves for passing over him, but he's too big of a risk to use their 1st round pick on, unless maybe they traded back to the lower half of the 1st round and he was the better value over any OL or pass rusher at that point.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. If he passes his medical & thorough background is done on past injuries,willingness to play through pain etc than yes.

Metcalf’s release combined w his speed over the top & size mean hes a safer bet to seperate as well as make big plays.

Butler is very well rounded but doesnt have quite the definitive skillset of his game to point to as Metcalf.Love the 6”6 height but theres always gonna be the question mark if he has the quicks to seperate until he actually is in the NFL. He doesnt have that same release as Metcalf..

Mr mittens likes this.
  5. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

If your starting a franchise from scratch (kind of like we are), you ideally want to accomplish these things first:

qb - first
    pass rusher - second
    left tackle - third

we have got to take a pass rusher at number 3 or if we trade down then a left tackle. a wr this early has got to be no brainer talent like larry fitz, aj green, or calvin johnson-ish. not some guy who looks great getting off the bus but might be sitting with an injury designation. leave that for the late al davis types of the world.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

[​IMG]

That 3 cone drill is really bad, perhaps a lack of agility and hip movement, probably why his route running isn't that great too. He shouldn't even warrant consideration in the top 10

phubbadaman, FJF and SettlerDawg like this.
  7. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

He also doesn't move like he's still getting used to having legs

8. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I agree completely, though Hakeem Butler ran a very nice 40 himself

9. Hes more of a top 15 talent but i think the Bills would scoop him up in the top 10 in a heartbeat.

Hes a boundary receiver whose tree would be more straight line/1 cut kind of stuff. So the 3 cone doesnt bother me so much bc you arent gonna ask him to do alot of pivot routes & the like.

W his ability to separate,acceleration & to win RZ/contested balls it makes up for some of that lacking change of direction. Sam seems to be at his best working the boundary & could use somebody who can separate..so in a trade down hed make skme sense.

I still prefer N’Keal Harry For a number of reasons none more acutely than i think hes perfect for Sam’s skill set. He can win those contested balls sam fits into tight spaces vertically,he can make plays happen on short passes after the catch & hes got demonstrated ability of coming back to the QB on broken plays which on Sam’s case would be when he improvises out of the pocket.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

I still feel like we need a shifty and agile slot receiver who can win 1v1's. Deebo, Brown (both AJ and Hollywood), Campbell, McLaurin, etc. Quincy and Robbi don't possess this. I want a technician.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Hes no Julio Jones that's for sure. Julio has excellent body control and can stop and go on a dime with change of direction. Everyone was comparing him to Jones. His cone time is slower then Tom Brady.

#31 101GangGreen101, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There are at least 3-5 guys I’d take before him. That 3-cone number is very alarming. If you’re taking a WR in the first round he better be more than just a burner who can win some battles physically. Taking him third overall shouldn’t even be a conversation.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

Deebo and Hollywood are my top 2 guys for this draft @ WR for the Jets ... I think the Jets have a small shot at Deebo at the top of the 3rd

14. BroadwayAaron

Hollywood is my best case scenario. I don’t see how it can happen for us though because of who the logical trade partners are. We won’t get into the late 1st but maybe early 2nd?

Deebo would be great too. I loved Campbell’s combine even beyond the numbers. Thought he looked extremely smooth in the gauntlet drill. Same with AJ Brown and Humphrey (I refuse to call anyone Lil’Jordan).

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Rather have someone more fluid and smooth.

16. The jets really need 2 types of WRs.

They need a short area slot type as you alluded to above.Samuel,Hart,Hollywood,Johnson in draft or Humphries/Crowder in FA.

But they also need a boundary receiver who can separate,get deep,win contested balls & box defenders out on off schedule plays in which Sam is improvising outside of pocket.

This is where the likes of Metcalf/Harry/Butler/Harmon come into the conversation.

While Metcalf has no business going top 3..i think fixating on the 3-cone is very misguided. For anyone who has watched him play hes not a change of direction style player. Agility,cutting on a dime & pivot routes are not his game nor does it need to be. Hes a straight line/1 cut WR who can seperate,get deep & box defenders out. You arent taking him to be a short area player.

Mr mittens likes this.
  17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I posted this before the combine and to see him run a 4.33 40 and the flack he’s getting is laughable. Watch his tape closely before tearing the kid down because of a 3 cone drill.

To me his speed isn’t even the best part of his game. The kid has the strongest hands I’ve seen since Calvin Johnson. His ability to dominate CBs on back shoulder throws is also elite. The kid just has “it” too I am extremely confident he will be a dominant number 1 in the nfl.

To not give Sam a weapon like this would be incredibly stupid.

If Bosa and Allen are off the board Mac should be running to put the pick in for DK. If we trade back and we land DK I would be extremely impressed

Mr mittens likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

Metcalf at 3 is nutty talk.

Same issue as with Hollywood... I don’t think the right trade partner exists. He’s going late 1st most likely, so unless the Skins fall in love with someone at 3 we won’t have a shot at him. And that’s fine. There will be WRs that I think could end up being better pros available in 2/3.

19. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Message to Jets: Please stay away from the impressive physical specimen who opens eyes at the combine. But, your campaign for him because of strong hands is something I am interested in - but certainly not at 3. Plus, I would worry about 4 game suspensions in his future, wink wink.

20. 101GangGreen101

Too bad we can't get that Colts pick back, but thats where I would target Hollywood ... late first, early 2nd at best. Campbell looks really good as well. Hopefully the pass rush, defensive line and QBs push the WR talent down the draft.