The Jets are the only thing standing in the way of another NE division title

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Kurt I always enjoy your posts. I've been waiting for the Pats to come back to the rest of the league for years. The jig is up. The Jets have to be tough, smart and grinding in their approach from the 1st pick to the last UDFA they sign. They have to build excellence from top to bottom. No cutting corners, no all in for 1 year, they have to make a foundational change to how this football team is run and the expectations for the players.

We have to assume the Pats will continue to be a really good to great team for years. Respect them, don't fear them. Earn their respect. They ain't coming down to the pack and if they do we don't think about passing them on our way up. It's not worth being angry at sustained excellence. It's time to face reality before we get off the mat. We need a new plan.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That Patriots secondary is scary good, but they are beatable. It all goes back to having multiple weapons on offense. I am talking 4 or 5 weapons, cause BB will take away 2 of them. Need a QB that doesn't play scared and is aggressive. Patriots are great, but the Jets have held themselves back for so long in terms of talent and lack of talent in key positions. I am not worried about the Pats, if the Jets can get their shit together this off-season, they will be right there with the Pats fighting them to the last second.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I actually did look into this earlier in January and created a spreadsheet that dissected the Brady era Pats. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the spreadsheet for the total W/L numbers, but posted the following in another thread that shows the percentages:

Actually, the funny thing about the Patriots is that out of the division they have been almost as dominant as they have been in the AFC East (since Brady's arrival). Versus the Bills / Jets / Dolphins the Pats have an almost ~79% winning percentage. Against the rest of the NFL the Pats have a 76% winning percentage. So the rest of the NFL has been virtually as inept against the Pats as the rest of the AFC East over the last 18 years.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  4. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I found an article from 2018 this afternoon that talks about the same kind of percentages that you mention:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-win-same-rate-vs-rest-nfl-they-do-vs-afc-east

It's nauseating. I wish it was us, but it's nauseating.

The thing is - even though it's true that the rest of the league is just as inept as the AFCE, the result is still that the Pats can figure on an 4 or 5 automatic wins in the division - every year on average. That's a huge advantage.

5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Until we have 1) better players (OL, pass rusher, CB, etc.) and 2) coaches that can match Xs & Os with NE coaches we aren't doing jack.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

We're standing in New England's way for another AFC East title about as effectively as a worn-down speed bump.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Good point.

I live in LA...there's way more Raider fans here than Ram fans.

But the new stadium sure looks good:confused:

Cman68 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a downer, but barring Brady going down early with an injury (which I would never root for.....for real), we have no chance at stopping them at anything. Next year Pats will will win 11-12 games, get a bye, a home game and be in the AFC title game again. I'll believe their reign of terror is over when it's over.

Cman68 likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You mean MetLife isn't in the same league as the new LA stadium? Cmon... surely you jest. Woody himself said this is a "state of the art" facility. You're not disputing that are you????

#69 Cman68, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Biggs is right ..

The real Dragon to slay is Bellichek..arguably a better Coach than Lombardi

He retools his roster every year and outcoaches everyone

I ve always believed that it's the Braintrust/Management that determines a winner assuming players just do their job

BB knows what every player on his offense, defense and spec teams can do plus he knows same for opposition

To bad he didn't listen to Parcells and stayed in NY

As far as Jets go I expect us to contend for a WC next year...perhaps for years ..who knows

To be a Contender and make it to an AFC championship year in and out is the Goal..not necessarily winning the Division

11. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

And when is the last time you heard the Pats having any issues with the salary cap? They have no problem whatsoever keeping the players they need to keep and plugging in new pieces wherever needed. No matter who goes down, they are always ready for next man up. I've honestly never seen such an efficient machine in all of sports.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Everyone thinks it's the cheap deal Brady gives them which is part of it. They are also willing to trade great players the year before their contract years for picks, trade picks and add more picks. They have a huge amount of bust draft picks but they also have a lot of players that develop and fit. Because they have such a stellar reputation, they also are willing to take risks on guys and if they don't work out see you later.

Gase has to build a culture here that is bullet proof.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. sackexchange

They always seem to have a TON of draft picks. I've never seen a team move down in the draft as much as the Patriots. To your point, they have a lot of misses but they have a lot of hits because they take more shots than anybody else.

Jets seem to do just the opposite. They get nervous and giveaway picks out of fear of missing out on the next Christian Hackenberg or DeWayne Robertson.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

MetLife is perfect for the Jets.:oops:

I'm still pissed they left Shea...and I moved to Los Angeles in '82.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. sackexchange

I'll never forget a sign I saw a fan holding up the last game at Shea - "NJ is for losers....and Re-Todd (as in Richard Todd)".

I remember hating them leaving Shea as well. However; the Jets being a tenant in the Mets' house was not a long term solution.

Acad23 likes this.
  16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Brady isn't immortal and Bellicheat won't be there forever. The changing of the guard will happen within the next year or 2, but that is completely irrelevant to the Jets. If the Jets are going to start competing they need to build the team to be able beat such teams so it's all on Macc.

17. Cman68

The way this team has been run and the results on the field, they certainly deserve to be treated like last weeks' meatloaf stored in a giant air conditioner.

ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  18. Cman68

They could have followed the Philly model and used the rest of the old fair grounds to put both a Jet stadium and the Mets stadium in it but nooooo.... Would have made quite the sports complex...

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well said, especially the bolded line.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's due to the blueprint BB created, and getting the players that best fit that, not just simply trying to sign the best talent regardless of fit. The first order of business for the Jets should be building that b.p., and then getting the players to fit it. The failure of not having done this already I blame on the Johnsons and Macc, and we still have these idiots in charge so I don't expect things to change, but I hope they finally do.