Jets Brass believe it would be stupid to trade leo (can’t link, at work)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Laxg41, Feb 5, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is pie-in-the-sky because they aren't smart or bold enough to do it.

They will do what the Jets always do. and what you want them to do. Hope Leonard Williams looks better in another system and overpay him when he does look a little bit better. And still lose

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So you're admitting that the scenario drew up is in no way realistic? I don't get it...

3. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be stupid, especially if they are switching to a base 4-3. Williams is the only solid guy on the Dline. Trade him, you just have another big hole to fill, and there is no guarantee you get somebody better. They should only consider this if they get blown away by an offer.

Also this is one of the worst threads of all time. If you make a topic, at least link the article or copy paste it in here OR AT LEAST SAY SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Just dropping a one liner as a thread starting post is lazy as fuck and trollish.

joe likes this.
  4. Sam Hammer

They played entirely different spots on the line, though. Williams was mostly interior this year and his play is what allowed Anderson to get pressure. The hard evidence is the game where Anderson was looking like a beast (I think Green Bay), then Williams was ejected and after that he literally did nothing.

Mogriffjr, MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

so where do you see Leonard Williams playing next year? interior or outside

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The Anderson comparison had absolutely nothing to do with how they played. It was based purely on the notion that we should get rid of Leo as he's about to play for the first time in a defense that better suits his size and skill set.

So imagine if the Colts switched to a 3-4 then decided to trade Anderson before even trying him out? That's what we are looking at with Leo.

K'OB and NYJFOREVER like this.
  7. BrowningNagle

Listen to yourself- Leonard Williams was a top 10 pick and you are comparing his situation to some scrub like Anderson that we got for nothing. Anderson obviously is a guy who needs to be in the right system. If Williams is that guy, then fuck why would we keep him around and pay him like he's not an average guy like Anderson? Its absurd.

Williams - $14million next season. Anderson - $1.9 million. Williams better be 7 times better than Anderson in 2019....

Leonard Williams is not at all some guy like Anderson who busts his ass every play but is limited by his physical abilities. Leonard has all the talent in the world, he floats out there. I fully expect Leonard Williams to play better in 2019- but not because of the system. Because its a CONTRACT year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Sam Hammer

I think he'll be more interior, but I could see him playing the edge as well, just not as often, especially if the Jets can get Bosa or similar pass rusher. Williams was the only guy on the Dline that opponents had to really focus on last year. If the Jets end up drafting Quinnen Williams, that could entirely change, however. Most people only focus on sacks when there is far more than that when playing on the inside.

FJF likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

I don't see him having success as an outside end in a 4-3 system. He needs to be inside. If they draft Quinnen Williams - they had better trade Leonard ,what a waste that would be

10. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Jets fans: Colts were switching defenses so we got Anderson for cheap and he was great. We should trade Williams, his production can easily be replaced.

Also Jets fans: Hey rest of NFL, good D-lineman are hard to come by, give us a good value pick.

FJF likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Well, McLendon is a UFA this off season, I don't think they bring him back, so that could lead to the interior line of Quinnen + Leonard. The problem is they will still need an edge rusher, plus we don't know what we have in Shepherd yet.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Would it? We just saw Donald and suh help hold the pats to 13 points.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Browning is right ..tremendous hype was surrounding LW as the best player in the entire draft the year we got him. He should have been a monster out there from day one instead all I've heard is the excusitis that he is "always double teamed" etc

Another famous bust provided by Mac, but in fairness every analyst pushed his stock up for months..then he got on board and became Lazy Mo II

If the Pats recycle players this way eg perceived vs actual value the smartest brain in football is behind that and its good enough for me

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

As long as we don’t overpay, we need players on this team. Especially at defensive line. I think we should “buy low” and get him into like a $10million/year contract vs like a $14 million one we would have to pay him next year if he turns out to be good. We don’t have a single player other than Williams who is a guaranteed starter on the defensive line and we need 3 other players right now.

FJF likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

Leonard Williams never, ever, ever pursues from the back side. That's a desire thing.

He has a slow burst out of his stance. That's half desire/half athletic ability. Williams can get a decent push from time to time but he appears mostly content with tying up his blocker.. That's fine for Leonard Williams and he might have himself a decent career just doing that. But we can get that anywhere and you don't, or excuse me, you shouldn't, pay $14 million for that

16. FJF

His job in Bowles system was to tie up blockers first. Everyone hates him because he was doing his job.
    The reason not to trade Williams is simple. He is a good football player and we don’t have many of them right now. Trading a good player for the chance to acquire a good player is hard to understand to me

17. BrowningNagle

He is not a good player he is an average player. And I was infuriated by Todd Bowles but I highly doubt he was telling Williams to just engage your man and quit on the play

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Bowles played multiple fronts and Leo did take snaps as a 3 tech.

G Williams will also play multiple fronts, and Leo will be used all over the line (not just as a 3 tech).
    His versatility is probably his best asset, as he allows coaches to be versatile and mix up fronts/gaps/assignments within the game.

I'd like to see how he does with G Williams.
    The talent is there.

Imagesrdecieving and Mogriffjr like this.
  19. FJF

Only in jet land is he considered less than good.

K'OB and NYJFOREVER like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

Yes!!! and that's why it's the perfect situation for a trade.