Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I'd like to get Trey Flowers

PennyandtheJets and BudJet like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think Gase would be licking his chops just thinking of drawing plays up with Bell as RB & receiver.

3. But not many RBs can run inside,run outside, split out wide as a receiver,execute any route AND picks up the blitz in pass pro like Bell can.

This idea that Bell offers the standard RB skill set is just ridiculous..hes a threat On every level.

There is not a single RB in this class that can say that.

Its time we stop minimizing Elite level skill talent.

4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

But a Bell is not a mandatory requirement for winning a Super Bowl. And adding a Bell, which we can, is going to limit other important areas of the team we need to build up

You can win a Super Bowl by drafting a 1,000 yard back, who can also be a threat out of the backfield receiving. It won't be Bell level but it will be 75% of what Bell brings for 1/20th of the cost. And he'll be younger

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

And yet.,. Folks have been saying this for years and we’ve been going into Sunday’s without a decent playmaker on offense for years

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He is a prototypical player they would sign, but I'm really hoping we pick him up. He's a good receiver with solid run after the catch ability, a big skill to have in Gase's system.

forevercursed likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Our Pro Bowl MVP safety putting in some work!

Mr mittens, FJF and almbleamal like this.
  8. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Are we sure this wouldn’t be a typical jets overpay for a past prime splash looking to secure his bag?

9. BroadwayAaron

Past his prime at 26? There are a lot of valid criticisms of a potential Bell signing. This ain't one of them.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  10. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Ya beat me to it.

11. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Been hurt several times and is coming off a year of not playing.

12. BroadwayAaron

He put up a career high in receptions in 2017 and rushed for over 1,000 yards again. Calling him past his prime is just incorrect. And it's not like he missed a year due to injury. Again there are plenty of valid criticisms but "past his prime" is not one of them. It's not even on the list let alone last on the list.

ColoradoContrails and Mr mittens like this.
  13. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Well we are likely one of the best options for him because gase would likely use him in a rotation while max pays him like an every down bell cow. Not against it just pointing out that’s a likely outcome

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He isn't past his prime but if we sign him we'd better start winning some games. If not he's exactly the type to pack it in.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Last year 19 mill got us Long, Winters and Claiborne.... Would you really take that over Bell?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. You read my mind,Brownie!

Dont get me wrong..id love for the team to prioritize & deliver on quality skill via the draft but its never happening.They continue to prioritize defense & if forced to address offense its always OL.And i guess thats the way this fan base wants it bc guys like Bell pop up in FA or guys like OBJ come along in draft & theres always an excuse to avoid acquiring them

How long before we actually acknowledge that we havent had a dynamic player w the ball in his hands who wasnt past his prime since Keyshawn/Chrebet/Martin? And everybody wanted Keyshawn gone for guess what?More Defense & OL!!!!

Its exhausting.If i cant see winning football can the team at least be athletic,high scoring & exciting?Every other team can have great skill players;Why not us? Whens the last time the jets had a fantasy player of interest?

Bell is the best chance weve had since Idzik’s deplorable draft to see an exciting dynamic skill player.But no..we’ll pass for more OL & Defense. Folks will say “next year we’ll get skill”.Only to have every excuse in the book to address other positional groups instead..and the insanity continues.

17. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He will be 27 by the time the season begins. Why is it out of the realm of possibility that he is past his prime? He has a TON of miles on his tires and NFL history has shown that players that touch the ball at that volume will break down sooner rather than later. He is/was a great player and he may well still be solid for a year or two, but my guess is he starts to slow down big time after this upcoming season. He has been injured several times in the past and with every year he gets older and the more he continues to touch the ball, the more likely he is going to breakdown.

I get that he could help Darnold, but every year there are RBs found in the mid-late rounds. Go find one!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Yes sir. Jets free agency should be geared toward Defense. Even if a few guys get tagged, there is a ton of talent on that side of the ball in this free agent class.

I remember the off season the Jets signed LB Eric Barton and CB David Barrett and a few others. Load up on defense!

19. Yep.Lets prioritize defense yet again.Can i ask when if ever offense will be a priority? Dont say next year.Its been next year for 20 years.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

On defense, we badly need a pass rush and there a few possible FA studs and a few highly regarded prospects to draft. It's something this team hasn't addressed for over a decade. Yes, skill players on offense are badly needed too. I'd take Bell on a short term deal, but not sure if he'll accept that. I hope we trade down and get a WR with a recouped 2nd rounder and a RB in the 3rd.