I don't care who's available at #3. The only answer is to trade down.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LeonNYJ, Jan 28, 2019.

1. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Trade down, stock up, build offense.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Well, it kind of matters who is available to determine whether or not a trade is an option. It’s not like mac can just call the nfl and say he is trading down and taking some teams picks.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Sure I'll give you the #27 and a fourth round pick sound good??

...It takes two to trade, adding more picks is always favorable, but taking a bad deal is worse than staying put.

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I totally agree, with the usual caveat from other posters that you need a willing partner and a good deal. The other factor involved is you need a smart general manager, and IMO the jets do NOT have that. Maccagnan usually trades a quarter for two dimes. Plus, he is terrible at talent selection or player position awareness. Look at his 2017 draft-- Dumb shit selects FOUR DBs in 2017 draft and THREE receivers in 2017 draft. He selects ZERO offensive lineman and ZERO defensive lineman in 2017 draft. Last time I checked, MIke, the game was won in the trenches, not outside the numbers. Grand total of TWO offensive lineman taken in his 4 drafts (2015-2018) and both in 5th round. How can a team build an OL like that? But, hey, we got Spencer Long and his wild snaps and they only cost us $6M a year.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'd much rather the Jets trade down, especially if they can land a pass rusher in free agency. If they can't, and Bosa/Allen is available they have to pull the trigger unless they get a king's ransom.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I have a hunch that, if Giants don't trade up to #2, then there is a very strong possibility that Jets can trade down with King's ransom as a compensation. Yes, it is a big if.

This year's QB stock is almost laughable. Dwayne Haskins is the best of the bunch, and he's not that good. The rest is even worse, so this means if the team is drafting for a QB, they will have every incentive to move up. Nick Foles will be available in FA, but there are maximum of 6 teams in need of QB pick this year. The cheapest pick available belongs to the Jets [Oakland might want to pick a QB. Gruden has been hinting that for some time.] so if Giants don't jump the Jets at #2, then Jets are in prime position to trade down. [Again, this is a big if.]

P.S. If Giants trade up for Dwayne Haskins, Jets should just grab whoever is available between Bosa and Allen. Or ask king's ransom for the pick. [Again.]

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  7. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Like somebody said on the board the other day nobody expected Trubinsky to be selected #2 a few years ago.

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Easier said than done

Peebag likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If we get a FA pass rusher it's also a bad deal to stay at 3 and grab the proverbial DL or CB

What I've noticed over the years is how clueless our rookie GM Mike Macagnan has been

All those selections for Defense for the last 3/4 years eg the 2 Safeties, Williams etc were influenced by his Coach i.e. Toilet Bowles..Only last year Macagnan got the bug up his ass to move up and take SDarnold..which prob has been his smartest move ever

Now he's got an Offensive minded HC in Gase and there's a very good chance we will go all firepower or get OL

Trading down like the Colts did last year makes tremendous sense

The Point is Mac will get better advice on his deals going forward IF he listens to his HC ..who I believe is a lot smarter..even in making trades

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Signing one pass rusher does not fix our problems at all. We currently have 0 guys one the roster that scare opposing offenses from a pass rush standpoint. I'm not drafting a much less talented offensive player because he's on that side of the ball. That is exactly how you maintain your status as a roster with low talent and a bad record. Even if you sign one pass rusher we need another for the other side. Say we go all out and get the two best FA edge guys, If Quinnen Williams is there you take him and completely rework the D. All of the Oline and skill guys in this draft are not worth top five picks. You trade down if you get very good value. You don't move down just because you want offense.

joe and FJF like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You want 2 Edge Rushers now? Totally get it that there is a need there but its like deja vu all over again lmao>>> drafting Maye and Jamal Adams with only one of them seeing the field

Your focus is way narrow minded..I would be shocked if this team continues to overstock on defense..sorry we need points and depth on Offense

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Reports that Elway is smitten with Lock is good news for us. Between the Giants, Jags and Broncos hopefully we can get one of them to move up for a QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Hearing the same.

Would anyone do #10 and Von Miller? With Chubb and Miller aging, I could see that deal being presented....

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Equating pass rushers so saftys shows you don't really understand what affects the football game or understand the talent at the top of this draft.

FJF likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

His mentality about drafting offense is how Sam Bowie gets drafted over Jordan

Harpua likes this.
  16. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

Throw in 2019 3rd and I'd take that deal for sure

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Mayfield was considered a mid-1st round pick at this time last year. That was in a class with Darnold, Rosen and Allen too. This year's class has less quality, but that could make teams even more desperate. I think you have Haskins, Jones, Lock and maybe even Murray as potential 1st Round QB's. Now the key is the combine and Pro Days. If one or two impress, and they usually always do, the Jets could be in a great spot. Even better if the Cardinals want Bosa and the 49ers want Allen. If that is true, then the Jets #3 pick almost becomes a #1 pick. If the QB's don't impress though, and Bosa and Allen are gone, the Jets are in a tough spot.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If Allen or Bosa are there, I'm taking them and not looking back.

I would love to sign a top FA pass rusher, draft a top flight pass rusher, then pour the rest of their resources into the offense.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  19. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Yep - last time the Jets did this was when Fatty Parcells was the coach.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Agreed....last time we were so obsessed with trading down was 1998 and we messed up Orlando Pace.

In 2004 we felt pressure and traded UP for DeWayne Robertson.

Screw the lost picks, unless we get A HAUL, take the best player at #3. We haven't had a killer LB off the edge in decades.

westiedog1 and Sam Hammer like this.