Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Only thing we have going for us is that Jacksonville, NYG, or a mystery team could trade up to 1-2 for the QB. Then we are locked for Bosa or Allen. We need Haskins to absolutely shine in the predraft workouts.

NYJFOREVER, Noam and FJF like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m banking on those 3 possibilities.

3. FJF

Or if Arizona and SF love Allen/bosa we trade down.
    What we don’t have going for us is 3 viable starters entering free agency in bridgewater ,foles and Flacco.

4. I know it seems that way but lets not down play the pass rushers in this class.They are almost as highly coveted as high end QB prospects.Theres somebody for every role/scheme in this class.Supply has been low up to this point.

Just as likely someone wants to move up for a Pass rusher as there is a QB.

CotcheryFan and dawinner127 like this.
  5. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see us bring in Chris Hogan. Doesn't seem like we're in a position to sign, draft or trade for a true #1 WR might as well sign a nice glue guy to go with Q and Anderson.

6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

PFF had him as the top guy NOT to sign.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t be a terrible move. I’d prefer Funchess, younger and more upside.

8. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

This. Have to hope some teams are going to try and move up for a QB, but I assume teams like the Giants and Jags will be content sitting at their current spots with the wealth of defensive line talent in this draft.

I see a lot of pundits pushing Rashan Gary as an Edge option, but he doesn't particularly excite me either--especially at 3. The talent is obvious, but I question the motor and his scheme fit. He reminds me of Quinton Coples too much (just a bit more athletic).

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Paradis graded out as the #2 center,
    Last years signings Jenson $10.5,
    Ritchburg getting $9.5 million, Paradis will get $11 -12 .
    Saffold will get at least $10.
    Bell wants a front loaded contract, he's made that clear so probably closer to $20 million year one and 2.
    So closer to $60 million
    That leaves $38 million dollars to fill 32 remaining roster spots, including 3 starting WRs, 2 starting CBs, Kicker, Kick returner at least 1 back up QB, 2TEs. Plus the draft pool and money to hold in reserve in case of injury, emergency signings.
    The money isn't there to sign 4 top FAs.
    There are teams in much better cap position then the Jets. Colts for one. Even the Browns. They may have $17 milllion less, but only have 12 roster positions to fill, 1 of them being a starter, vs our 36 ,10 starters.

10. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Except that you can front load money via signing and other bonuses. That allows the annual contract for 2019 to be lower. When Suh signed with Miami, his first year only counted $1M against the cap. There are countless other examples where a player gets a huge signing bonus.

In general the real constraint is the owner's willingness to pay the players, not the cap. It is very easy to keep restructuring deals and cutting players with a cap that continues to increase. Actually wanting to pay out $200M in cash in one year to new players is what prevents teams from going wild.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I can't believe that some posters don't seem to have grasped this yet. Sure let's sign all the big names and then play vet minimum guys everywhere else and see how that works out.

NYJetsO12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'd think that, with good position coaches in place, Jets are in a good situation to go prudent when it comes to FA. The only big name FA I'd like to see is from the DE position, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, offensive skill position players. [True #1 receiver, that everybody has been clamoring about - just maybe. I'd say, meh.]

With good OL coach in place, we should be able to hit some jackpots from the UDFA OLs. [Like Shaun O'Hara was for the Giants years ago.] Concentrating the cap space on a select few elite players is a sure-fire way to get a short term production then go down the gutter. We did all that with T-Bomb. We have to be smarter than that.

NYJetsO12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I can’t believe that some posters don’t understand how NFL contracts work yet and how teams have circumvented high cap numbers in year one despite huge payouts.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

As one poster already pointed out, you rarely pay big money up front without spreading the cap hits across the length of the contract. Also, we’re not landing all of those guys. It would be unreasonable to think so.

15. FJF

Tanny didn’t flame out because of the free agents he signed. He flamed out because his drafts sucked for 5 years in a row.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would prefer a slot guy like Humphries where we can move Q outside. I like Tate but the amount if wear and tear on his body scares me.

I would love Praedis.

My guess is we hotly pursue Bell to provide not only a running game but a guy who might be our best reciever.

Either way big changes are coming. I hope we end up happier in FA than we did in the coaching search.

rickjet likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

Front loading Multiple contracts leaves you a very small window to succeed. You also run the risk of players taking it easy on the big $ years. We have been through it with Rex and Tanny, and with first year Mac.

HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

If I have time I'll do a dollar per roster spot analysis for several teams. It brings the actual available cap into a clearer reality.
    I believe we have around $4 million per spot vs some teams with 8-9 mill that are looking at mostly practice squad type players. We have a bunch of starters and quite a few rotational players.

19. TonyFtLaud

.I read a report that the leagues investigation will be completed before the start of free agency, so interested teams should know what he is facing as far as suspension. But 3 violent assaults in a 5 month period of time will likely lead to a pretty long suspension. I think he's going to get signed cheap with little guaranteed money.

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

More I think about it, I probably would not go after Lawrence or Ford, who are going to cost a fortune.
    The draft lines up perfectly for drafting a stud on the front line.

Instead I'd focus FA on supporting Darnold.

My splash signing would be Bell.
    Normally would not spend that much on a RB, but this is about his versatility as a pass catcher, and would be a huge asset to Darnold.

My mid grade signing would be Trent Brown.
    I think he can play either T position, or even LG.
    Again I love that versatility, and I'd like that type of size to get back to aggressive Oline play.
    Stealing him from NE makes it all the more sweeter.

After those 2 top targets, I'd like to add a veteran like Golden Tate to replace Kearse.
    Very underrated route runner who finds ways to get open and adds chunk YAC.
    Maybe not too many years of top production left, but that will also make him more economical.
    If we can get a veteran C or G (maybe Saffold) at a reasonable price for competition and depth, that would be perfect as well.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.