And the New York Jets take at #3....

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Sid Youngelman, Jan 1, 2019.

1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I honestly believe Josh Allen is a better football player than Nick Bosa...not that Bosa is any slouch but Allen is an explosive, high-motor guy who loves the sport. I have nothing against Bosa for sitting out the rest of the season. It was a smart move for his future--but I prefer the guy who puts his team on his back. It's a merit on Allen's record rather than a demerit on Bosa's.

The only issue I'd have with drafting Allen would be his fit. He's your prototypical 3-4 OLB, but lacks the size to play as a 4-3 DE. He could definitely be useful as a 4-3 SAM where he'd move onto the edge on passing downs, but I think forcing him into that role that would be a disservice to his talents. Jordan Jenkins is a solid player and a fine fit as the 4-3 SAM already.

Josh Allen sure would look good in green and white though...

BacktoQueens and almbleamal like this.
  2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

We should only be taking an OL if we trade down (which I am not against.)

Kris 15 likes this.
  3. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

If Bosa and Allen are both gone we should hope that there is a bidding war between Jacksonville and NYG trying to jump up and secure their favorite QB.

That's the ideal plan B for Mac imo

Pepsiguy5 and Sam Hammer like this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think with the Williams hiring it's more likely EDGE is the pick here............in theory the Jets can hang on to Beechum for one more year while rebuilding the interior of the OL and addressing the front seven on D. They can do worse.....he is signed through 2019, is relatively cheap and OK for now.

5. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

I do not know why this is such a debate. Mac goes Bpa so at 3 we will take queenin Williams. And no that’s not who I want

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

1 will be a ton more expensive, a team will have to overpay to tempt the Cards to trade out of the best player in the draft.

I would think a team trading to 2 would be more of a concern. The Jets are going to have to treat this pick like the Colts did last year and be willing to take less value back in order to trade down as early as possible. Of course we will need a QB like Haskins to cooperate.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

1 is the only spot that guarantees you Haskins. There’s absolutely no reason for any team to call and trade into the 3 spot right now. It’s just not that right draft for that. The only way we trade down is if bosa and Allen go 1 and 2 and we make a deal OTC

stinkyB and BrowningNagle like this.
  8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Worked for us last year.

IMHO. lol

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Bit of a different situation.

Jets were clearly OK with any of the top 3 QBs. Thats why they moved early.

Only place the Giants can trade to before the draft to guarantee the QB is 1.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yes, I feel this year it will be a little different. If there will be trades, they will come on draft day depending on who goes 1 and 2. If Bosa/Allen go 1 and 2 the Jets can trade down with somebody looking for Haskins. I don't think Haskins is worthy of #1 overall and doubt the Giants or Jags move all the way to the #1. It makes more sense to trade to the #3 if Haskins is there.

11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I’m not so sure we loved all 3 and I’m guessing Mac decided the gamble was worth it that one of the two we loved would be there at the 3, plus we weren’t trading with the Giants to the 2.

The same scenario could happen if they fall in love with both Haskins and Murray but I don’t think we’d trade with them either.

12. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Obviously we'll never know, but my bet is Mac would have been cool with Rosen or Allen if Baker and Sam went one and two, respectively.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree, if there's gonna be a trade, its going to happen when the Jets are on the clock. Besides every single team in top 5 has reason to believe they don't need a quarterback anyway, that makes everyone potential trade down candidates and lowers the chance of it happening.

FJF and stinkyB like this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

In a perfect world, they find an eager trade partner to move down in the draft (twice) and go O-line.... but as mentioned, the lack of homerun QB prospects, and even less demand for them by the teams drafting at the top will make this that much harder (not to mention the availability of Nick Foles and Flacco (although Flacco isnt a long term replacement for anyone).... and made last years trade up looking that much better.

That's my ideal scenario or Josh Allen, but I highly doubt either happens

15. Ive been watching a ton of offensive prospects. I'm beginning to think we need to seriously consider N'keal Harry at 3 IF he shows well at the combine in terms of Timed speed/Vert & most importantly 3 cone. This is a special talent that can beat a defense in a number of different ways, he's shown well despite not much around him & he has multiple years of quality production. There is a large gap between he & the rest of this WR class. The class has some decent talents but absolutely has the highest upside w. the ability to help a team early as he continues to develop.

I also think his skill set couldn't be more perfect for Darnold & what this team needs. He has short area ability to move the chains, Can box guys out & come back to the football when Sam leaves the pocket,massive catching radius, Great against tight coverage on 50-50 balls & can get over the top of a defense in a hurry. By the way he's 6'3 216 & has taken punts back to the house! This guy has all the signs of being a #1 X type receiver.If OL/Edge get addressed in FA & I'm Sam...this is likely the guy I want.He's not gonna be 3rd on everyone's big board...maybe 12th or so..but it's the same deal as finding a franchise QB or LT;Supply & demand dictates. When a player w. his imposing size & body control display this many different ways to contribute to an offense you have the makings of a prime offensive talent.

He needs work on his release/route running...both are inconsistent & a bit haphazard. Not uncommon for this class & frankly coming out of ASU. Some have questioned his change of direction for pivot routes..I'm not even sure that really matters w. this guy. He'll catch the ball w. virtually no separation in the most acrobatic of fashions.

I'm not alone in this opinion

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/10/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-nkeal-harry/

Here's how I'd rank the WR's I've focused on

N'keal Harry

AJ Brown
    Marquise Brown
    DK Metcalf
    Deebo Samuel
    Hakeem Butler
    Kelvin Harmon
    Collin Johnson
    Andy Isabella
    Antoine Wesley
    Keelen Doss
    Anthony Johnson
    David Sills

#115 KurtTheJetsFan, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2019
    SettlerDawg, Pepsiguy5 and Mr mittens like this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about this kid, and while I agree some more WR talent is needed, at #3 overall the kid better be a SupaFreak....

Mr mittens likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the many who want the jets to trade down. MacCagnan is probably not that smart, but at least we have Gase and Williams in his ear on draft day instead of Bowles. IMO the jets should trade down but not out of the top 10. Move down to somewhere around picks 6-10, and try to pick up at least a seconder rounder and a sixth rounder this year since we have neither. The jets really need to rebuild their OL thru the draft. And if they do pick on the front 7 on defense, draft players who would FIT Williams' 4-3 defense. They wasted 3 years of OLB Darron Lee's career trying to play him inside, thanks to Bowles and MacCagnan. Before they take rush linebacker Josh Allen, they better be sure he can play DE in the 4-3. If they are not sure, pick someone else. Enough of this drafting players and then "forcing" them to learn a new position in the pros.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

if Josh Allen is there, that should be the pick (and I'm hoping he's there).

FJF likes this.
  19. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Then you would want Rashan Gary who is the best athlete in the draft and fills the EDGE need for us

20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

The argument in favor of this plan (or at least one of the arguments for it) would be that even stud WRs usually take a bit to develop so in a happy scenario Darnold and Harry could grow up together. I have no ability to judge how these WRs end up personally but if the Jets really thought this guy was a potential top 5 type WR in the NFL I wouldn't be opposed to giving this a try.

If there was any much question though I'd definitely at this point prefer either trying to spin that pick into a stud edge rusher or OL/maybe more draft picks.