How do Jets defensive players fit in 4-3?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wellemann, Jan 16, 2019.

1. wellemann

wellemann Member

With Williams coming in as DC Im really interested in how all of the current players fit in his defensive scheme?
    A lot of questions like: Is Williams playing with man corners? Any players even better fitted for this scheme than 3-4?

LE: ?
    DT: Williams - McLendon
    DT: Pennel
    RE: ?
    LOLB: Jenkins?
    MLB: Williamson
    ROLB: Lee?
    CB: Johnson
    CB: Claiborne
    FS: Maye
    SS: Adams

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jenkins does not fit in the LB spot. He is a 3-4 OLB. He is an odd ball in 4-3. Not big enough and fast/explosive enough at DE. Not quick and fast enough at OLB.

Williamson might fit at either MLB or Sam. Darron will be moving to Will, for sure. I don't know if Jets have a space-eating NT on their roster. McClendon, maybe? [He is not a pass rusher if anything.]

Jets will have to sign 1 FA [Demarcus Lawrence, hopefully] and draft another. [Josh Allen or Nick Bosa.]

3. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

We will sign an Edge in FA and Draft one at #3. Add some support/depth guys to Defense and we will be fine. Best way to improve the defense is by improving the offense so they don't have to be on the field so much. We will get a big catch at RB and WR in FA. My concern is still of OL.

Pepsiguy5 and Mr mittens like this.
  4. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I don't think Jenkins plays LB he'd be more of a DE, too big and slow to play in space

I like the kid Hewitt that filled in for Lee during his suspension

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Hopefully we get Lawrence or clowney. I’d imagine the rest is addressed somewhere in the draft. If we stay put top 3 it would make sense there. But if we trade down (which I fully support) maybe a day 2 pick.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Surprised there's been no mention of Shepherd. I know he had a bad first year, but he was drafted as a project and everyone knew it on draft day. He's a big body in the middle, and if we can get two guys on the outside plus Leo in the middle, I think Shepherd (assuming he actually progresses) could be the other man in the middle.

Pepsiguy5, Mr mittens and Sam Hammer like this.
  7. wellemann

wellemann Member

So trading Jenkins? How about Pennel? Can he play inside?

8. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

With a 4-3, you have to be more specific what their specific roles are.

DE: Copeland?
    3T: Williams
    1T: Pennel
    DE: Draft, free agency
    Will: Lee (Would be a perfect position for him)
    Mike: Williamson
    Sam: I think Jenkins would be great here. I like him setting the edge on running down and could see him like a Mo Lewis type on passing downs. He’d be subbed out anyway, if he were to ever go into coverage.

almbleamal likes this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

We still got Jenkins for another year on the rookie contract I believe. He’s only making like a million dollars. I’d see if he can play a role on the strong side for a year before doing anything with him unless perhaps someone was willing to give us a 3rd round pick or better for the guy.

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This isnt good news for Anderson.

He really struggled in the 4-3.

Same scenario for him again too. Kinda feel bad for the guy.

11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The forgotten man. Shepherd didn't play much towards the end of the season. He didn't impress much when he did. Didn't much to say he is good or bad. He'll be on the team next year. He'll be in the rotation but I don't expect much from him. Really want to root for the guy and him to do well. Really good story but think at best he is a rotational player.

Shepherd is a pick that drives me nuts. Like I said I want to root for him. That being said we take Sam with the first pick. From there every other pick should be an offensive pick. Since we had a defensive coach he put his input in and except for Herndon in the 4th and Cannon in the 6th everything was a defensive pick. If you get a guy who you think will be a franchise qb you have to surround him with the best offensive players available. With all the failed dlinemen we have taken over the years by now you'd think the GM would say I can pick up a McLendon, Anderson etc. Let me get a wr, rb, or olineman to help our new franchise qb. Close to 20 years of drafting failed defensive players. You'd think the powers that be would say we need to change our midset. It will change with Gase but hopefully we draft football players not projects or combine numbers. I also don't want players who had questionable attitudes in college. See Quenton Coples. Only the Jets.

12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I think the switch will be easier than we think. Dline wise the guys are interchangable between a 3- 4-3. OLB and DE might not be interchangeable though. They'll hopefully sign a a named d-end and some extra dlineman. Probably not a name along the dline unless we can get them at the right price. Grady Jarret would be nice but not sure if we want to pay him.

As for the line backers Lee and Williamson seem that they can switch. Jenkins is a question on if he can be an end. We'll see. The secondary should be fine. That being said Greg Williams switches front from 4-3 o 3-4 so maybe we won't have to switch that much up. I'm ready for March to see who we sign and to see how the offseason unravels. Besides d-end and a few cornerbacks the Jets shouldn't put that much into the defense. It's the pieces on the offense I'm looking the most forward to.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bowles and the Bucs will probably sign him.

14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I really liked Anderson. But if we are going to a 4-3 unfortanately we'll have to let him go.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Queenin Williams gunna fit right in that interior with the big cat

jilozzo and FJF like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

Yep. Imagine the outrage when we take a defensive player 3rd overall...

The truth is if we can sign a pass rusher and draft Quinnen Williams, that’s a hell of an offseason for a Gregg Williams defense.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Spelled Clelin Ferrell wrong.

18. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

For the record Quennin is like 5 or 6 on my best options. For me Allen , bosa, left tackle, trade down, Ferrell, then quennin

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

This is my number one option. Trade down for Ferrell. Couldn't imagine a more perfect scenario.

He's certainly not my top choice but if we end up with him, we'd be fools to complain.

20. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Would just be replacing leo with another interior non pass rusher, who replaced Mo