Jets Fans...Take a Deep Breath

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jan 12, 2019.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

There is more to QB than arm talent. He has always had an incredible arm, very strong in this department. It was a lot of the other things, mainly from a mental makeup that caused people to lose interest in that potential. A very opposite dynamic from Josh Allen now that I think of it. Allen is probably the only other QB in recent memory that had an arm in that elite range.

Mahomes wasnt a very good decision maker in college. He did a lot of things in the college game that hurt his NFL stock. A player who played within the "college rule set", instead of pro play. Example, he often times abandoned his first read and scrambled. He looked panicky in the pocket but very comfortable outside the pocket. He didnt show a great amount of patience in college and went for a lot of things against lesser competition that would never work in the NFL

Granted, a lot had to do with the system he played in within college too.

Anyway. His mental makeup was very raw. Mechanics were raw. Arm talent had a massive amount of potential

I question if he would have developed the same under another team. I think he went to the perfect coach doe him and team though.

BudJet and LAJet like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for answering my question. I can see that POV, but I guess when watched him I didn't penalize him for his improvisation, although I can see where scouts and evaluators might. I guess the way I look at it, I don't really care if a guy tries to stay within a particular coaches' system because that can - and will - change. I look at what he does when things break down, which they always do at some point. In that regard Mahomes showed an innate feel for making things happen. Anyone can play within a system, it harder to play off script.

And yes, Reid is a great coach for him.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  3. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Pats lose Sunday....then this on Monday

[​IMG]

4. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Gase is the best hire of this coaching cycle. Fangio definitely deserves his shot to coach but is another defensive guy and first timer who's 61. Arians is ancient and wouldn't come here. Kitchens, LaFleur, Taylor,Flores and Kingsbury vary from barely to non deserving of a HC job.
    Sign me up for the offensive guru with HC experience all day I love how Chris Johnson has run this team he's been much better than Woody, Mac nailed two first rounders in a row and we're set up with the most cap space in the NFL a franchise QB and the #3 pick in the draft I'm as optimistic as I've ever been as a fan in some time.

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Objection! Assumes facts not in evidence!

"I think the reaction is absurd." Totally unsupported opinion.

"He's had some good success in his career." Totally unsupported statement.

"We now have arguably the best DC in the NFL." Kacy Rodgers is the Defensive Coordinator.

"Our staff is looking sharp." Not a single change to the coaching staff has been announced other than the head coach.

"Gase not 3 years ago was the most sought after offensive mind in the NFL." That was then; this is now.

"The majority of Fins fans are furious he was fired." False and unsupported.

"If the fan base boo's him before he boards a plane to NY, then I can assure you he will fail." This is a serious weakness.

"We have a new contingent of coaches." False, coaching staff remains the same, including Jeremy Bates; see above.

" We are past the worst part of it." Optimistic but pure conjecture.

"And just remember, not too long ago Howie Roseman was getting run out of town in Philly, and Doug Pederman was considered the worst head coach hire in the history of ever." Irrelevant, totally.

"We ARE on the right track." Wishful thinking.

#85 Ralebird, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Oh shut the hell up

FJF, KurtTheJetsFan and jonnyd like this.
  7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Why he is entitled to his HO that I fully agree with?:mad:

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I would call making the payoffs his first year as coach a success. I would also call going 7-9 with Miami's roster, while losing your starting QB for a period of time and having to start Brock Osweiler successful as well. As a coach, that is. I'm not talking about his roster moves.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We should be happy that we didn’t have to hire some unknown because nobody else would take the job, and even that came down to having Darnold on the roster.

It’s the Jets, one of the worst franchises in the NFL. The team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 8 years. The team known for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The team that reignited the Cleveland Browns. Dude wipes. Etc.

The Jets are a wretched organization and the hiring of any currently available head coach wouldn’t have changed that overnight.

Hoping we fail so you can be “right” about something on a message board is pathetic.

Those people are the worst of the bunch (with the Maholmes people a close second).

10. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I like the way you think. but there's no way a long time fan sees it like you.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Wasn't just the Jets many teams passed on Marino. The reason why he had a cocaine problem at Pittsburgh that teams were aware of. You never hear Pats fans complain about taking Tony Eason or Pittsburgh fans complaining about Todd Blackledge. Marino was right in Pittsburgh back yard.

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  12. IIMeanDeanII

Amazing. Yep, that's it. *claps*

13. IIMeanDeanII

So, do you think Bowles was a success too?

14. bicketybam

When did Bowles make the playoffs or overachieve with a shitty roster? What did I miss?

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  15. boozer32

Its way to early to be praising the way Chris Johnson handles the Jets. He signs checks that is it. This head coach hire surely is on him going forward. Scary that Maccagnan will be making free agent pick up. He gave Johnson so much for so little production. Signed the worst center I've seen in 20 years. I think they did their due diligence in interviewing coaches but I will never think that Gase was the best one of the bunch.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. boozer32

That's easy...never.

17. IIMeanDeanII

They had the same record. 10-6. You are acting like because the conference records played out the way they did, that somehow, Gase did better?

How far did the Dolphins go in the playoffs?

If you look at both rosters, I would STILL take Miami's overall roster. This is debatable at best though and isnt conclusive at all on who was working with the worse roster.

Which is the point...

Neither did much with what they had.

It just amuses me that people are trying to convince others or act like Gase has been so much more successful than, Bowles.

I just dont get it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. bicketybam

I can't help it you can't see it. Bowles was just an awful coach. The books still out on Gase but he is light years better than Bowles. He was actually able to beat NE a few times for beginners. He was 5-1 against us. Bowles had every opportunity to make the playoffs and he couldn't manage to get his team ready to play against the Rex Ryan coached Bills. Bowles was one of the worst coaches I've ever seen. He coached scared. Played to not lose, instead of win.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Comparing Mahomes to Allen is lazy and wrong. Josh Allen had a terrible completion percentage 44 TD to 21 INT 7.4 Y/A in his college career.
    Mahomes passed for over 11,000 yards in college had a 63.5 cumulative completion percentage 8.3 Y/A 93TD to 22 INT not including rushing TD's. and a QB rating of 152.

Josh Allen may actually have a stronger arm but what makes Mahomes a unique talent is his ability to deliver accurate passes from multiple arm angels in the pocket and on the run to either side of the field. He also always has his head down the field.

He is the NFL MVP in his first full year starting. He is the most dangerous player on the football field today. His confidence is off the chart and yes that can get him in trouble. It's also what makes him a play making monster.

I'm a big Jets fan and live in AZ so I root for the Cardinals and go to lots of games. When KC jumped in front of us to take Mahomes last year my gut reaction was the GM should have been fired. Both teams got a nice consolation prize this year in Darnold and Rosen.

What really upset me about the Jets passing was it was sitting there for them, it was need and we have the history of passing on Marino. If you don't think Pats fans didn't think it was a huge mistake to take Eason you're wrong. Brady has put it in the rear view mirror but at the time letting Marino fall was a huge mistake for New England, Buffalo and the Jets. Buffalo got a HOF QB in the same draft and it was still a huge blunder.

20. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

Don't think it works if you've already cut eye holes in it. :D

TonyFtLaud and HomeoftheJets like this.