Adam Gase New HC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Jan 9, 2019.

?

Do you approve Gase signing?

1. Yes

22.3%
  2. No

45.8%
  3. Too early to tell

31.9%
  1. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Then you have something in common with the Jets’ front office.

2. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the laugh!

3. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

This might be the most unified this board has ever been. Kinda scary.

4. rockyusmc2003

Let's hope those new jerseys are something else!

Aero likes this.
  5. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

Im guessing he liked the new uniform concepts the most out of the other candidates, and probably noticed the hint of cinnamon Mac put in the cupcakes.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  6. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Har har

Can we see this play out? I think he will be good for Sam Darnold.

almbleamal and Mr mittens like this.
  7. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

This is where I want to be, so I'm putting myself there. He was the last guy on my list, and the numbers on his teams aren't at all impressive. But if he's going to help Darnold grow, then let's get it. I don't care if he doesn't win a chip in his 3-4 years, as long as Darnold is a universal attraction in the next coaching search.

At the very least I know we're going to have a coach who is coming here very specifically to work with Sam. Given the general tenor of following this franchise, I can take a step back and appreciate that as non-disastrous right now. I'll be rooting hard next season.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  8. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I don't understand who the 10 votes for this clown are. He is an arrogant, egotistical pos that failed miserably as a HC in Miami and yet they approve. Ok, sounds right.

ColoradoContrails and CBG like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Red Menace likes this.
  10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I just emailed the Jets and sad part is I don't feel any better. if I find the time and energy I will call them tomorrow and voice my displeasure,,,,,,at first I might jerk their chain and tell them Im interested in 4 psls in the lower bowl along the Jet sideline----then unload on them

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  11. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I love the Adam Gase hire.

12. rockyusmc2003

Listen to this dude and look at his crazy ass eyeballs.

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I believe members of the Gase and Macagnan families have joined TGG

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Its a good thing we have $o much cap $pace because no player is going to run here to play for this clown unless we over pay them and even then they might bail out

15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Welcome to our board can you let us know exactly how it is that you are actually related to Adam Gase ?

Noam likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That's Tebows max because he never played again..... Other than a handful of snaps here of course.
    The only positive I can find is he will take Mac with him on his way out of town in 2 years

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

there is an article on the side of this site,,,,after reading it you won't have a warm fuzzy feeling, here it is -->
    The New York Jets have decided to hire Adam Gase as their next Head Coach. Yesterday, our man Scott Mason did an excellent overview of him with Travis Wingfield who closely followed and covered him during his time in Miami, I strongly encourage you to give it a listen.

One of the benefits of this site and how I cover the team is that I don’t have to work with Adam Gase going forward or see him all the time. I don’t know anything about him personally or professionally outside of what has been discussed around his Miami tenure and what has happened on the field in his career. This also isn’t a fan site so I am not going to shill for a decision just because the Jets made it, you are just going to get my opinion, backed up by what data I can provide.

My opinion is that I strongly dislike this hire. I would criticize the hire if any other team in the NFL made it and I will criticize the Jets for making it. Now, another good thing about this site, is what do I know? Crazier things have happened in the NFL and maybe an interim owner, a 24-40 GM and a 23-25 Head Coach can make this work. I will be rooting for it as a fan.

But, man…

Gase is the type of coach with an apparently outsized reputation and media connections to puff up a less than stellar resume. In 2015, he was the Offensive Coordinator for the Chicago Bears 21st ranked offense and Jay Cutler threw 7 less touchdowns than he did the year before. From 2016-2018, he went 23-25 with the Miami Dolphins, getting progressively worse each passing year. The team’s offense ranked below the New York Jets offense in DVOA in 2017 and was barely ahead of it in 2018. Gase also repeatedly clashed with players, trading away multiple key parts of their roster and clashed with the owner/front office on his way out the door.

Gase’s 23-25 record is less impressive when you remember 5 of those wins came against Todd Bowles’ Jets, including The Spencer Long Game and a Bryce Petty start. Miami has been a flat out bad and dysfunctional team the past two years. There is a reason that Gase was not anybody’s top choice when discussing prospective Head Coach options for the Jets over the past few weeks. He was a second or third tier candidate, behind other retreads like Mike McCarthy and Jim Caldwell who have far superior resumes.

It is also concerning that the Jets came to this decision after reportedly wanting Matt Rhule but refusing to let him hire his own staff, an amateurish decision. If you hire a Head Coach and he is your top choice, you let him build his own staff, you don’t dictate it to him as an interim owner and a GM with a 24-40 record. This may also be why Kliff Kingsbury choice the Arizona Cardinals over the Jets and Kris Richard will likely end up in Miami and not here.

Gase is expected to bring Dowell Loggains along as his Offensive Coordinator, fresh off coaching the 26th ranked DVOA unit in the NFL. In 2017, he was the Bears Offensive Coordinator for the league’s 26th ranked unit…a unit that improved substantially when he left. He is expected to potentially bring in Vance Joseph, the recently fired Broncos Head Coach, as his Defensive Coordinator. So, no forward thinking. No input from the college game. Just a collection of retreads and buddies getting back together when they failed elsewhere. Hopefully, Brant Boyer is retained at least.

Part of what pushed this hire over the top was apparently a call from Peyton Manning to Chris Johnson, which is troubling. Gase had success with Manning but he is Peyton Manning. We could all have success with him. Manning also advocated for him before Miami hired him and it is fair to wonder if an interim owner who nobody knew a year ago was a little too starstruck from the call. Also Gase’s success with Manning was 5 years ago, an eternity in the NFL. We also know that Sam Darnold and Gase connected briefly via FaceTime before the hire…but both have the same agent, Jimmy Sexton, so remember that when reading stories about the two.

The Jets hamstrung themselves in this search by not fully cleaning house and are now paying the price with who they needed to hire. Hopefully, Gase will learn from his mistakes in Miami and the Jets can have a massive offseason, although you have to wonder if Gase can get along with a player like Le’Veon Bell.

The mandate should be clear: It is year 5 (!) for Mike Maccagnan and year 4 of Adam Gase as a Head Coach in the AFC East: Make the playoffs or fully clean house.

18. rockyusmc2003

19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Ditto.....I read the Denver Bronco pages/forums alot from 2012-2015.....Peyton Manning LOVED Gase...used to text him at all hours of the night/morning with Mad Scientist plays and crap.

I'm OK with this hire.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, guys, this is it for me. All good things must come to an end, and unless something happens dramatically to change my mind, my Jets fandom just ended with the hiring of Adam Gase. 53 years of following, watching, reading everything I can about them is enough. I can't root for that asshole Gase, and I can no longer root for a team that continually does things assbackwards and makes stupid move after stupid move. I have no faith, trust, or hope in the Johnsons or Mac and really can't abide any more stupid moves like this. I have hated the moves this team has made for a long time, and I'm just not gonna put myself through the aggravation and frustration any more. I can't be a casual fan like Cman, and really have no desires to even if I could. I can't root for a team that I have no respect for and I no longer have one iota of respect for the Jets. At this point, I don't even care who they do or don't sign in FA or whom they draft. They won't make the right moves and the team will not ultimately win as these clowns own and are associated with the team. In fact, I think that folding the franchise would be the only thing that would make me happy with this God-forsaken team. I have never seen a collection of more stupid men in my life that have owned and run the Jets, and I truly hate each and every one of them.

For your sakes, I hope that I'm wrong and that Gase will prove to be a great HC and the Jets will win a SB within the next 2 years so at least Cman and you others can see it.

I've enjoyed discussing Jets football with most of you, have enjoyed learning new things from some of you, and there are many of you with whom I'd be very happy to sit down and drink a beer. I wish you all well. For those of you who can't stand me, you can rejoice. I'm finally leaving this board for good.

#460 NCJetsfan, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    SOJAZ, Attackett, bicketybam and 2 others like this.