Sam Darnold (Main Darnold thread)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Sep 30, 2018.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

And rightfully so. The fact that Chris Johnson said there's "great talent" on the Jets roster is frightening and tells me all I need to know. I have a hard time believing anything him or Mac say after a statement like that which makes them look clueless.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

In addition to the points you made, O'B held the ball way too long. Fear of the interception was drummed into him by Walton, and Ken took it to the extreme. Plus O'Brien had big, slow feet with no escapability. Darnold has a much quicker release, is better on his feet, shows better escapability and is way more willing to hit his shorter targets than O'Brien. You are right about weapons. Walker McNeil, Toon and Shuler are arguably the best players the Jets ever had at their positions (C. Martin and Maynard may have something to say about that, LOL)

The key to any franchise QB is to keep him on his feet. A great Jet line circa 1981 had deteriorated by 1986 through age and injuries. You could say that O'Brien had his talent pounded out of him. He was sacked 42 times in 1985 (mostly in the 2nd half of the season) and 66 times in 1987 I don't think he ever got over that. So, I think a good line that doesn't collapse on every drop back (like we saw too often in 2018) is really important.

I always liked O'Brien but Darnold has more natural ability. Its up to Jets management now

ColoradoContrails, FJF and truthbtold like this.
  3. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I don't read too much into that. An owner is always going to prop up his own players, and there are a couple with great talent ... or at least great potential for now ... and thank god the QB is one of them. I'm sure he realizes we have holes all over the place. I'd like to see how many of them they can fill in the off season before I hit the panic button ... starting with a competent head coach, and staff. I consider getting rid of Bowles a major upgrade already. It would be hard to do worse.

4. JetsNation06

I read everything into that. There's no reason for an owner to have to say that the team has "great talent" after he just fired the HC. Especially when the team clearly does NOT have great talent. That's a flat out lie. Just like there's no reason for an owner to have to say that the team is not pursuing Jim Harbaugh, regardless if they truly were or not.

There's just certain things that don't need to be said and these are a few prime examples of the Johnson's inserting foot in mouth. What you can read into it is that the Johnson's are putting a ton of faith in Mike Maccagnan which is frightening. He has proven over his 4 years that he is underwhelming in building a talented roster and missed many more times than not.

This franchise has learned nothing and if Mac is as good at evaluating head coaching talent as he is at evaluating talent in a 7 round draft then we're all f*cked.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He just thinks that because Sam strung a couple good games together. He can’t see the big picture.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. JetsNation06

Of course he does. It's so transparent it's not even funny. It's like the guy who finds one piece of gold and runs around screaming Eureka. While the guy down the street has a Fort Knox and just keeps building his fortune. Beyond short sighted and myopic.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I saw that movie too when it came out... Yeah, I'm getting deja vu all over again..

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

O'Brien was a good pure passing QB, but he wasn't mobile at all. Plus, the rules have changed drastically since then. If Sam stays healthy - assuming they vastly upgrade the OL - and they get him good weapons and a CS that knows what they're doing, I believe he'll be the best Jets QB since Namath. I know those are a lot of "IFs", but note that they don't have anything to do with Darnold.

Cman68 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

oy...I hope not.....

Without getting too detailed I thought the jets did a disservice to Obrien by failing to surround him with a capable OL after 1986 AND overestimating his QB ability. yes he was accurate and had a very good arm but was a statue from day one and was way too deliberate in the pocket. Walton's offense was a terrible fit for him because pass plays took time to develop and required 5 and 7 step drops. it was a lethal mix. hell even the dump offs to mcneil, hector, vick etc etc were 7 step drops. unreal. yes they hummed along during most of 85 and half of 86 but that was the window - the OL was pretty good and OB hadn't taken the real pounding yet.

10. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

All we need for now since we can't resolve all our problems in one off-season is 2 decent OLinemen to protect Sam. I read on NJ.com that if Mac doesn't come close to the playoffs next year he will be gone.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money." - Everett Dirksen

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold= Joe Montana 2.0?

Can't wait for that thread in a year or so.

13. KOB is my all time favorite.So this is tough.

Ken had more arm strength which is no slight on Darnold at all.Both can sling it..KOB was just on another level outdone only by the likes of Elway & Marino.

Darnold is more accurate, which like above is no slight on Ken.Darnold has a chance to be the most accurate Jet QB of all time.His placement incl. on the run is jaw dropping.

Mobility its not even close.Darnold blows him out if the water

The jet thing to do this offseason is exactly what they kept doing w KOB.”we’ll protect him with a running game”.Meaning they de emphasize pass pro w the OL they retain as well as bring in favor of run blocking. Thats not the answer to keeping a QB upright & building a sustainable passing game

Harpua and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Darnold is 21 years old. He’ll have accomplished more in 3-4 years than KOB ever did.

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Have fun with this thread a little. Eventually I will merge it with the Main Sam Darnold thread.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

This thread is so fucking terrible

Sam Hammer likes this.
  17. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Why can't he be the first Sam Darnold? Rather than a second second Sanchez or O'Brien?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

CotcheryFan and Brook! like this.
  18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

They may have been long in the tooth but the 1984 Jets were among the best in our history. Bud Carson's defense including the sack exchange was one of the best in the league even though most of the players would be off the roster when Bruce Coslet took over a few years later.

Our skill players were awesome during the regular season even though we rarely had a healthy Wesley Walker in the playoffs.

The current Jets squad has no leadership in the coaching staff and is short on talent.

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Somebody explain how Sam is like Chad Pennington