The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

My New top 3
    McCarthy
    Monkin
    Carmichael.
    In that order, the lead between McCarthy and the rest is very slim.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I disagree, but again, how about we let him hire someone before speculating on his ability to act as an NFL owner

3. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Maybe.

But I don't think Caldwell's penchant for running 9 and 10 men defenses would have helped this past season.

I probably should stick it solely to the defensive side of the ball.

Cooter is and was still Cooter.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know plenty of things go on behind the scenes and fans aren’t in the know at all times, but damn it would make me feel a little bit better if we could just have reports of interviews lined up other than two coordinators, a DB coach and a retread 68-year-old.

I’m not saying McCarthy is my first choice but if you have a job opening and you don’t bring him in for an interview then you were not doing a good job. Also I personally want Gase less and less the more I read about him but again he somebody you have to at least interview to see if you can figure out why it all went wrong in Miami and if the reports about him being a terrible person for the locker room are true.

Long story short, just give me something that provides a glimmer of hope.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

PFT is reporting that Gase will interview with Arizona tomorrow.

We're gonna lose him.:(

No news on the Jim Harbaugh front.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Who cares about “losing” Gase? He made a name for himself by riding the coattails of Peyton Manning, which basically meant let Peyton do whatever the hell he wanted. His locker rooms were a disaster in Miami and even after an average year in which the dolphins had no business being average, ownership decided to move on. That’s exactly the type of person you DON’T want around your 21-year-old quarterback with a franchise that you are desperately trying to change the culture of. That being said, I think you should be brought in for an interview just to see what he has to say about why it all went so terribly wrong in Miami but I think most people are going to be far from heartbroken if he never even stepped foot inside the building.

As far as Jim Harbaugh goes, I’m starting to believe more and more like this was a completely fabricated story. Either that or it was true at one point and the franchise got a heads up that he has no desire to leave Michigan.

harts24, barfolomew, FJF and 2 others like this.
  8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

How is Gase any different than McDaniels when it comes to working with a HOF QB? A coach I've seen people mention as a 'hot' candidate.

Gase wasn't a complete disaster in Miami like McDaniels was in Denver and McDaniels went to the Rams after Denver as OC his units averaged something like 11 ppg during his time there HOT GARBAGE!

I think Gase is a better coach than McDaniels he could be much better in his second job. He'd be a good fit here.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  9. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The Jets would be fools if they don't at least interview Gase if he's already not scooped up. He's one of the more qualified names out there, like the guy or not.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah, lets just keep on doing the same shit that never works for us and expect a different result. Darnold will be well into his second contract by the time these idiots get it right if he doesn't elect to move on. I suspect if things don't turn around PDQ, Jamal Adams is outta here and I couldn't blame him.

IF we had ownership that knew how to evaluate management talent, perhaps hiring a newbie would work. We don't have that ownership and most likely, never will unless the Trust Fund Boyz decide to sell which they won't. As long as Chris Johnson sees himself as a football savant, this team is fucked.

Nothing like another 4 year rebuild and learning curve. Makes some fans giddy I guess and I'm sure Macc wouldn't mind at all. 2025 anyone? 2030? We could always challenge the Cubs and go for 2069....

Such is life in Jet Nation...

#1030 Cman68, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    NCJetsfan, RonPi, AJW and 1 other person like this.
  11. We havent had alot of success period.

Herm & Rex were newbies,had a decent level of success.Even Mangini had an overachieving playoff run. None of these guys failed due to lack of experience.One was too abrasive & impersonal,one was too conservative & big picture, & Rex lacked sustainability & had too much of a voice in the draft room

Now im not trying to sell you on specfically targetting a newby.Cause there are definitely pluses to going w a retread.Just think its about finding the right leader.The resume gets you the interview but its the person that should yield the position.

PJ4Ever, FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  12. Cman68

Doesn't experience teach you the bolded?

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

THAT is the problem with him and Bowles--they are nice guys that the players like. The jets need discipline--too many penalties and spoiled brats like Trumaine Johnson. The Packer players hated Lombardi, but there is a reason the Super Bowl trophy is named after him.

14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i cant remember if it was Caldwell or herm with that classic deer in the headlights look when TV captured them during a game where they were getting crushed and the first downs were like 20-0. geez probably both of them. LOL.

looks like Caldwell is perfect for this pending train wreck.

RonPi likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I explained in another thread that what I meant was not that the HC would wear 2 hats, GM and HC, but that he would have final veto power over personnel, while the GM continued to handle the paperwork. I'm actually not a big fan of giving a HC that much control except in certain circumstances, this being one of them: a poor-to-mediocre GM, and no Pres. of Football Ops overseeing them. In that case: in that case I lean towards giving the HC what he says he wants, After all, you hired him because you believe he knows how to build a winning team, so why deny him the players he wants? Of course, when you also have a HC like Bowles who doesn't have any track record of prior success, I would not give him this kind of control.

Bottom line: I don't see the value of publicly stating "We're not even going to consider any candidates who want full control".

16. Well did any of the above change their ways after leaving here? If anything their warts became uglier bc they largely went to crappier situations than even this trash heap

17. Cman68

Look, at the end of the day its Chris Johnson's team to do with as he sees fit. He can run the franchise into the ground and still make money. Whoever Chris Johnson hires will be the HC of the NYJ's. If that guy doesn't cut it after 4 years, hire another guy and so forth. This has gone on since 1969 and shows no sign of changing. Chris Johnson's opinion is the only one that matters and being the football savant he is, I'm sure at some point before 2050 he'll figure it out.

18. Cman68

Well, that's kinda the key isn't it... Learning from your mistakes instead of repeating them. Successful people learn from their experiences and try not to make the same mistakes twice. Those that don't, usually find themselves on the outside looking in.

19. Cman68

Chris Johnson will use his vast knowledge of football operations to choose the right candidate for HC. Have faith in Chris!!!

/sarcasm

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Cman68

My caption would be: "Oh Shit... Now what???"

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.