The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Chubb, Landry, Duke, Calloway and Njoku is a far better supporting cast IMO.

2. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

The dolphins don’t have much talent. Ajayi and Landry haven’t been lighting it up elsewhere

3. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

I saw today that kenyan drake asked for a trade if they were gonna keep gase. I dont want him as HC at all

PJ4Ever, grkmanga31 and Big Cat like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

We knew there was going to be no football operations guy brought onboard so nothing here is a big surprise. The only thing this clarifies is that the coach will continue to report to the owner which probably makes the job more acceptable to applicants that would have a problem reporting to the GM.

I have no problem with looking for an offensive minded coach first; no problem with looking at college coaches and no problem with trying to get head coaching experience. Are you suggesting that all first and some second tier candidates would have demanded autonomy?

5. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I might be in the minority, but I'm against giving a coach total control..... It has to be a real special coach to get that to work.... And those coaches generally aren't the ones looking for work

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

PJ4Ever, apjbfc, Noam and 4 others like this.
  6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

WTF would anyone want, Gase???

The fuck... have we sucked that bad to the point that people are literally finding Gase a reasonable hire now?

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Time and place,time and place. It was the right way when Mac and Bowles came on considering they were both first timers and the way things went with Rex and idzic. It’s the right way now considering Mac shouldn’t have much job security.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I don't like it. While I'm not crazy about Maccagnan, I believe the HC should report to the GM. If the HC and GM are co-equal, that puts ownership in the middle of too many football decisions (ie, any time Maccagnan and the HC are at loggerheads). Does anyone here trust Woody/Chris to make football decisions? If ownership doesn't trust Maccagnan to supervise the coach, fire Maccagnan. .

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

There's plenty of rumors that Paul Depodesta has a ton of say , in fact...Dorsey wanted to keep Haley on, Depo said no to Haley...guess who the owner listened to? Sure you wanna go with the Browns as your go to?

Also, who's this BIG name head coach you speak of? If it's Jim Harbaugh, that's a guy who's offense would be worse then Bates, as he's stuck in the 90's with his schemes, and he can't A- hang with the big boys in November and December, and B- can't even keep KIDS in line...there's a reason he hasn't been coach at a particular place past 4 years.

Y'all need to relax, this is SOJ syndrome, and honestly it reminds me of the GM search the Mets had when everyone was panicking over the names being said thru the media, only for it to go to BVW...Whos been quite progressive with his plans and moves. Of course there's still doubts there because "OMG WILPONS AND METS HAVENT SPENT!" But naysayers are gonna naysay either way. Gotta change the mind set.

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'm not doing a damn thing.
    The Johnson's are. I wanted Mac fired, he wasn't.
    But not tying the next HC directly to him, makes the opening more attractive

PJ4Ever, Red Menace, FJF and 4 others like this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

Landry's become a leader on the Browns and Ajayi was a key to piece to the Eagles Super Bowl . He's injured so not much he can light up. Plus Gase had control of player personal in Miami so any lack of talent is on him.

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Let's say Macc gets fired after next season. The next GM will want his HC or we'll be stuck in an Idzik/Rex situation again.

NCJetsfan and Since1969 like this.
  13. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Your #'s 3 & 4 are vital.. I think this is primarily where Bowles went off the rails. He wasn't on top of developing offensive trends and he was brutal in picking a coaching staff.

#873 Endlessly Counting, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    johnny, NCJetsfan, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  14. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

I don't know, Tony. Maybe my basic objection is that it smacks of another half-assed move. If you trust Maccagnan, let him hire and supervise the HC. If you don't trust him, show him the door. With a potential FQB on the roster, this isn't the time for half-way measures. Time is of the essence.

NCJetsfan and Freddy Mondo like this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

Hopefully not Jack...

16. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I cannot believe I am agreeing with you.

PJ4Ever, Mogriffjr and Brook! like this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

Have to wonder what happens with Landry if Gase is hired by the Browns. They dislike each other, to put it mildly. Landry would be out of Cleveland immediately .

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Okay, so Mac won't be in charge of the coach. Still dumb but not as bad as I feared.

19. CR8ZMike

CR8ZMike Member

Shouldn't this not be as complicated as the Damn jets are making it?

YOU HIRE FOOTBALL PEOPLE TO DO FOOTBALL THINGS.

You don't hire a GM to undercut him. You don't hire a coach to under cut him.

Now if the Johnson's want to pretend to be football people make them suit up on the field.

Owners should be seen and not heard.

20. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

At first I was reflexively against Gase, but the more I think about it, the more I'm warming to him. I get that some Dolphins hate him, but should that really be a benchmark? Supposedly everyone loves Bowles and where did that get him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.