Jets Fire Todd Bowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AMJets, Dec 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Let’s just keep making the same mistakes over and over. Fire Tanny, keep Rex and force the GM to keep him. No way they hire a coach this year and let a new GM hire a coach a year later. This was the time to do it right. Hopefully they get this coach right.

I just hope that they are open minded enough that if a big fish wants this job they give Mac a ceremonial position and don’t basically force him to be the decision maker driving these guys away.

2. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I think the 1 thing that the Johnson's proved with Bowles is that when you come to this organization you are going to get a fair chance to turn this team into a winner. Bowles got 4 years, 3 or which had at least 11 losses. That's fair that he gets fired.

What ruins an ownership's reputation is when they constantly fire coaches after 1-2 bad seasons.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

No that’s called having no balls and being terrible at what you do. If this was a one off thing Rather than an entire seasons worth of questionable decisions involving playcalling then sure, you could write it off as them “protecting” their young quarterback that they will have no affiliation with after the game is over. But that’s not what this was. We routinely run the ball on first down up the middle or on second and long. It’s been a season-long trend and this was just the capper.

ColoradoContrails and 94Abraham like this.
  4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. NYJets

NYJets Member

Bowles, like Rex, was given a year longer than he had earned. This organization has a history of keeping coaches at least a year too long when it's clear how the story is going to end. I'm concerned that we will yet again make another poor choice and be back in the same boat in 3-4 years. In spite of what should be an attractive situation with a young QB of the future, cap space, a high draft pick, having less pressure organizationally than our cross town brethren while afforded the opportunity to be the toast of the biggest media market in the country if you succeed, keeping Mac sends a signal to the top HC candidates that we're still not putting the needed complimentary pieces in place to be successful.

The previous 2 processes for hiring GM and HC were seriously flawed, but this more traditional route of letting the GM pick the HC is bad because of concern about the Mac himself. It's not just who Mac picked and didn't pick, what happened this last year would also be concerning. As HC, you are at some degree of mercy to the personnel decisions your GM makes. You may have input, but unless there is an agreed upon decision tree at the time of your hiring where you have some kind of veto power, in the end the GM has the last say. The stuff that came out about moves Mac made without Bowles being informed would give top candidates reason for pause. Even if you think Bowles had no business being involved and didn't show that he should be, it doesn't demonstrate a well run ship. Mac didn't get to pick Bowles, so you might say that he wasn't fully behind him but would/could be under the next guy that he does get to choose. But showing a willingness to do your own thing is concerning. Would he undercut me or keep me out of the loop like he did Bowles? Would he completely upheave the roster to try and save his job again at the expense of mine? Does the guy even evaluate talent well enough? Do I agree with his draft performance and what he's willing to trade to get in return? Those are all very legitimate questions. Plus, what happens if rebuilding takes a while? Who gets the axe? Maybe we both do or maybe I get saddled with a new GM that's not to my liking. You could say those are concerns about most jobs in most franchises, but with the Jets and Mac specifically, they all seem valid.

And then there's ownership. What happens when Woody is done with the ambassadorship? Let's say if Trump loses in 2020 and Woody gets replaced. Now ostensibly he comes back and relieves his brother. So the coach literally has a new owner relationship to build and who knows if Woody agrees with the choices Chris has made. Owners can die at any time, yes, but this is a scenario with a potential change you can predict will come. Does a top HC candidate want to take that risk and have Woody come back and not be "his guy"?

Those things all make me worry that we will once again choose poorly and perhaps waste what could be with a young QB that's shown promise. I hope not. I really, really hope not. Then again it is the Jets....

6. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I told my wife they got rid of Bowles.
    Her reply: So they got rid of old Stoneface, huh? Are y’all going to start winning next year?

God I hope so.

Brook!, KurtTheJetsFan and donkey like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

At l
    At least we won't need to see the constant juvenile toilet references here any longer. Are you sure the entire Bowles era was not some kind of plot foisted on the Jets by the NFL, or do they limit themselves to officiating conspiracies?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

MacCagnan has had 4 years to prove himself and the jets are worse than when he took over. As long as MacCagnan has anything to say over our next coach, who we sign in free agency, and who we draft, the jets will always occupy the basement of the AFC East. Simple as that.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The team gave up, it was visible on all 3 phases. Defense never showed up, the O was there a little but halfway through the third all effort evaporated. Sorry but Bowles and Bates calling run plays was the best thing they could have done for our franchise. I’d rather them hand it off every single play in the 4th quarter down 35 points instead of having Darnold throw meaningless passes and risk a serious injury like a shoulder with how bad our OL was.

I do agree that those kinds of plays were the epitome of how things went this season, which is why Bowles got axed.

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

What you say about the next Jets coach is of course true, but this kind of thing is also why I can't fathom the supposed stories out there that he will get another head coaching job, and probably sooner rather than later. He spent four years demonstrating that he was incapable of the most fundamental tasks that a coach has, and people are seriously saying he deserves another shot? I just don't get it. Talent ultimately matters more than anything, but Bowles was incompetent in just about every one of the things that a coach can actually affect.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is very true and to the real point. We could end up with a similar scenario to the Raiders. Bring in a new experienced HC with overarching power (hopefully much more up to date than Gruden). Move into the 2019 season, re-assess long plan for the Jets, and potentially fire Mac early 2019 if either the draft and or player personnel moves clash with the new HC.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

That’s a scared loser mentality. Try telling Darnold, “hey, we are scared you may get hurt so we are going to let you handoff every single time” and see what he would think about it. If a rare chance happened that he did get banged up, he would have all offseason to heal up. Sams a competitor and the last thing he would want is to lay down and quit and watch his team get embarrassed more.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Well, now we can look forward to next year, when Mac gets fired, but the HC is retained to be forced on the new GM, and we once again have to settle for a 5th-tier GM candidate.

tomdeb likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Liked the man and wish him and his family well in the future.

Brook! likes this.
  16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I think you have said that about every coach, player and staff member since 1970.

17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for the Jets, there is going to be a LOT of competition for head coach. Broncos, Cardinals, Dolphins, Packers, Bengals, Bucs will all be in the market for new HCs. What about Gase?

18. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

Ah what wonderful news. The sun is shining just a little brighter today my friends.

What about Gase? He's a white Bowles.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well at least give me kudos for being so far sighted that I can see the future. Maybe you & others should become realistic humans instead of dreamers which most every one on this board is besides me. :mad:

Sam Hammer likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Then we will be dealing with Bowles Part II. I've always wanted a fresh face as head coach of the Jets but it's been disastrous. Holtz, Mangini, Edwards, Coslet, Bowles. They Jets need someone that can take this team and run it like a drill sarge. Stop pussyfooting these babies. Play time is over they need to know this is a job and there will be consequences to mental mistakes and accountability from the head coach on down.

BrickcityJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.